Register now to get rid of these ads!

King Of Trucks...Chapter IV...Meditations on Roadhouse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Mar 8, 2012.

1. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

2. Barber pole the drive shaft. All the old timers did it. (not)
    Later,
    Dick

3. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Looks like I'm in good company!
    Turd, nice work on your truck.
    Road, nice truck.

I'm doing mechanical stuff mine.

Some said it before but keep on keepin on :)

4. 1959apache

1959apache

Ill send those sills out before the weekend.

5. 1959apache

1959apache

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Sweet mama. That is looking great! I would drive it as is..

But don't mind me. Go ahead and put that bed on it. :)

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Who am I kidding? I'll probably end up chroming it.

Thanks! I've been where you're at. Keep choppin' wood!

I have been driving it. It's my daily driver, lol. It's way faster with no bed and the new rear end. But it's way sketchier to stop short with no weight on the back.

gassersteve, I once heard a radio interview with the Nature Boy Rick Flair (he has always lived in Charlotte, NC). He talked about the old days with Andre and how they would go out partying. Rick said he once saw Andre drink 114 beers and 3 bottles of wine. Vince McMahon and Eric Bishoff fucking ruined rassllin'. Hogan too.

But that was a very different time. The decade that was the transition from the '70s to the '80s. I was a kid. Mid Atlantic Championship Wrestling on the weekends. Or Hee Haw when I visited my grandparents. But so much was changing so fast. Mtv was probably the most significant if you were under 20. You finally got to see the bands. And more importantly, a kid in NC got to see what was cool in California. Back then, the rest of the country was about ten years behind California in fashion and popular culture.

But Mtv just went on to spawn Cyndi Lauper. And don't get me wrong, True Colors is a fucking killer song, but she would also go on to help ruin professional wrestling. Sadly, it would never recover. We're left with a painful imitation of some kind of non-Ringling Brothers circus.

Trucks. I've found myself to be that "old" guy I seem to remember telling telling kids how it was "back in my day". My daughter is about to graduate high school and she's never seen a typewriter. She's totally too cool for school and is embarrassed to ride around in anything old. But her friends think it's the coolest thing they've ever seen. Statistically speaking, at least one of them will go on to remember that moment when they saw something awesome and do something with that feeling. I did.

So wrestling aside, the point is most old technology is worthless in today's world. But not old cars, like hot rods or customs. They're truly timeless. And just like I'm doing what my dad did in the '50s, some kid will go on to do what I'm doing. Forever, if we could be so lucky.

8. squirrel

squirrel

well said....

(my web page is the Selectric Typewriter Museum)

9. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

Don't you blaspheme Cyndi Lauper!

Vibes was/is a defining movie of our generation.

10. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Never heard of it. She's still fine though, I have a crush, lol.

11. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Here's a little gangster short in size. A tshirt and levis is his only disguise.

[​IMG]

I got the cross sills in the mail thanks to 1959Apache. In the next few days, I'll be getting those cleaned up and in epoxy primer. I want to try to put the bed on next Wednesday at our club's shop night when I have lots of help. I've got a sheet of steel for the bed floor. I'll be so relieved to have the bed back on so I can finally start repairing the doors, which is the last hump before I can start actual body work/filler in preparation for real paint!

12. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

How about a mini rant?

I went today to see my guy Smiley, who knows all things about old motorcycles. He's ordering some stuff for me for my ironhead. When I get back outside, the front left tire is flat on my pickup. Lucky for me, there's a Discount Tire right next door. Smiley filled me up with air and I limped next door.

These fuckers act like my vintage bias ply tires with tubes in them are like a ticking time bomb. The tire guy refused to touch them because any tire older than six years old will blow up in a tire guy's face when he tries to inflate it, lol. I tried to explain the differences in construction between modern radials and my vintage early '60s bias plies but he wasn't hearing it.

So I get the manager involved. He doesn't want to touch a tire that old because it's dangerous. I try to tell him he's not repairing the old ass tire, he'd be repairing a new innertube, lol. It took literally 45 minutes of convincing and sweet talking and a $20 bill to get him to fix my tube. And he wouldn't air it up afterwards, hahaha!

What the hell is the world coming to?????

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I'd like to return some fruit because it's rotten.

Not my fault....

Yes it is, I bought it at your store and on your premises.

I wasn't even here yesterday, I was at the doctors.....I've contracted....

14. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Terd,
    I just found this thread and read it through (at work!). Loving what you're doing cause its how I'm doing my '55. I don't have room for a derelict so I gotta fix things one at a time.

Question on your POR process. I read how you're stripping it - same as me, though I'm using a knotted wire wheel. Did you do any wipe down with OTHER than the POR prep stuff? I bought KBS and haven't opened it yet. I've heard all the storiesd about POR, KBS, etc fading ugly if exposed so I kinda thought about just using Rusto (Opinion?)

Anyway, I didn't buy KBS' prep. I was going to use acetone or lacquer thinner but you're Ospho idea might be enough all by itself. You painted right over that white residue your prep left or did something else? I wonder if I should throw some Rusto right on the KBS when it is slightly tacky (I've heard that's best). Any advice appreciated.

P.S. I'm an old timer but a bit gay for chrome too. Makes everyting faster! You know, just like a giant diagonal "R" graphic does for the ricer boys?!

15. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Not you again.

I've never been here before.

Dan,

I used a combo of a knotted wire wheel on an angle grinder and various wire brushes on a power drill to get the metal clean. I did not buy the POR degreaser. I used "Simply Amazing" or the like from the dollar store. You're supposed to dilute it for most cleaning but I used it straight. I did use the POR metal prep product, which is like ospho or phosphoric acid.

The metal prep leaves the white residue like you described. I *think* this is any left over surface rust chemically converted to inert from the acid. I painted right over that. That's what I was told to do by the smart guys at the paint shop.

Anyway, it worked out great. I did the front last year in July and it's holding up great. One thing to remember, is I've heard POR left exposed to UV (sunlight) can fade pretty quick. That's what I've heard second and third hand.

Good luck and holler if you need anything!

P.S.
    I don't like Rustoleum because it takes sooooooo long to cure. It stays soft for what seems like a month. I like the POR15 because it is so dog gone hard right away and it stays that way. I had some control arms that were done on a different pickup a while back. I had to get the control arm shaft out. It was heated with a torch and beat on with a hammer. All of that couldn't touch that POR.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  16. 1959apache

1959apache

Some people just are dumb, you can't get around it and they definitely don't want to hear it since they know everything already. I know that you didn't have a choice in the matter this time, but I would seriously reconsider darkening that doorway again...

I had a same issue with our local tire shop here, but after wasting my time with talking to the dick, know-it-all manager (couldn't be older than I was, 24 years old) and them telling me they didn't want to take off the center caps because they didn't know how and didn't want to touch the tubes in my tires for the same reasons... I threw him 5 bucks and showed him how its done. I explained to him as well the difference between new and old tires, he has since been nice and understanding.

Oh on a different note, just got paid today.. sending your check

17. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

I feel a LOT better reading your description. Haven't used Simply Amazing but I've used the nuclear green Harbor Freight degreaser, Castrol Purple and Simple Green all straight from the jug. I've been scraping rock hard lumps of grease off with putty knife/chisel, using the same tools you are then drenching w/ those chemicals, letting it sit, then power washing w/ my cheapo electric 1800psi. Washer does little frankly. Now I'll drop that and use the Ospho as the finish.

I've heard that about Rustoleum too but I'd use it OVER the KBS. I've also been to add regular auto paint hardner (true, anyone?) and someone even told me to use acetone as thinner instead of mineral spirits. I'm about to do the entire frame under the bed, rearend, bed cross sills, and strips. Then I'll take on under the cab. Same treatment on frame but probably undercoating on the sheet metal.

Man, keep you photos coming. They're keeping me motivated! Thanks again!

18. slammed

slammed

It has become sissy-fied.

19. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

So, what's been going on with this one, Terd?

Any updates?

20. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Got it, thanks!

The weather has not cooperated for painting. But I will be putting my box together Wednesday night and starting to weld the bed floor in. I'll just wait to get the floor and cross sills in epoxy after it's done. Maybe the rain will go away by then.

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Sweet. Been checking regularly for updates..

22. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Man, I thought maybe you were watching a month-long Patrick Swayze marathon or something! Geez we need a fix, man!

23. slammed

slammed

Jonesing in Jones County (Iowa, Ed!) Ferg alert!

24. Muttley

Muttley

25. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] Hey-ya Ferg, everthing o-tay?

26. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

27. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

The thing is comming along really well. Will it make it to HRW?

28. grovedawg

grovedawg
    from Heber, UT

"Dalton's the best bouncer in the business. His nights are filled with fast action, hot music and beautiful women. It's a dirty job, but somebody's got to do it." LOL. Love the build man!

29. Last I heard, Terd was heavy on a Shovelhead chopper! I think he's just enjoying the 55 as is for the time being.....either that or his dvr is stuck on Roadhouse!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012