Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. crazyassmick

crazyassmick

Hello all,
    I am new to this forum but not new to forums in general. I am a avid forum member on several forums from cars, trucks, and bikes. The reason I am joining this forum is to bounce Ideas off others who are more experienced then me. As you can read from my profile info I have a little experience in custom vehicles, restorations, and vehicles that are just down right fast.
    So enough about me lets talk about my new ride.....
    I am in a possition to potentially obtain what I believe to be a 37 plymouth coupe. I have had difficulty getting the exact year on it due to the limited info I have. The story is as fallows. A few friends and I were out picking a friends property when I came across this gorgeous coupe. Body seems to be super straight ( its in a field surrounded by tall grass ) Surface rust but nothing penitrating from what I can tell. No motor no trans, fenders are all there and in excellent condition, no hood but grille is present. A little searching through the grass may uncover the hood (with any luck) I will post pictures as soon as I have the car in my possesion.
    So here are a few questions.
    Would it be sacreligious to Drop a Hemi V10 (viper motor) with 5 or 6 speed trans in this car or another newer fuel injected hemi?
    I plan on completely updateing steering, suspension, and brakes. Safety first. Any suggestions on where to go as I am new to rodding? (ie manufactures, web sites, and so on)
    I am planning on tubbing the rear end to account for modern wheels and tires, air bag suspension, either going with a modern fuel injected motor with trans or building a hemi from the block up. I am going for a big motor and trans. I am seriously considering suiciding the doors and shaving the handles (possibly door poppers) replacing the glass with safety glass. All 4 disc brakes. Straighten any body imperfections and paint it in a green satin finish. (maybe accent areas with gloss as well) Possibly turning all chrome into a gold like finish. I think I am gonna go for a suedo mafia feel..... (Irish Mafia ofcourse lol)
    I appoligise for being long winded. I would love constructive critisism and any suggestions. If this guy will part with this car ( lots of sentimental value) it will be my first ground up build as well as my first hot/street rod build. So I am sure I will have alot of questions in the comming months to years. Thanks for taking the time to read this and give any input.

2. Welcome to the H.A.M.B

3. Chevy48

Chevy48

Welcome from Boston!

4. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

5. raymay

raymay

Welcome from New York.

6. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Welcome from Oklahoma. Build what you like, but I'll forewarn you, this is a traditional hot rod website. Your build is more to the street rod flavor. Now, if you were to drop in an old 331,354, 392 hemi you would generate more interest in your build. Nothing wrong with what you're planning, just not right for this forum. Good luck with your possible project.

7. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Welcome from Tennessee .

8. Welcome from wisconsin.

9. crazyassmick

crazyassmick

Thank you all for the welcome party. Rustednutz thank you for your input. Nothing is set in stone. I knew that some of my ideas may generate some issues amongst the more traditional builders out there. which is in part why I came to this forum. I am more of a designer then a builder. So I litterally have hundreds of ideas passing through my head on a daily basis. I have the knowledge and the means to do pretty much anything but much like anything just because I can doesn't mean I will. some of my ideas aren't very practical and eventually don't make the cut. But I have come here to bounce ideas off of everyone here and see where the knowledge you all have takes me.
    I am pretty sure I wont be dropping a v10 in it. I mean spending 10G's for a used motor just doesn't seem practical to me. I do think it would be pretty damn cool and one of a kind but I have to justify spending that kind of money on a motor..
    I feel that it is always a good idea to talk it out amongst those who have a passion for it. This is not the only forum that I am posting on reguarding this build. I would like to dabble a little in all "flavors" then add some of my own and hope it turns out as cool as it looks in my head.
    Again I thank you all for welcoming me and providing me with any future input.

10. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

rustednutz, post #6 above, is exactly correct. Read what the H.A.M.B. is all about. And then if you wish to build a more traditional hot rod, stick with us. Otehrwise, no hard feelings, but there are a ton of more appropriate websites for street rods and so on. If you go traditional, keep us updated with words and photos.
    Oh, yeah, welcome!!

11. Now thats what I call an intro! Welcome....

12. crazyassmick

crazyassmick

To those of you who don't think I belong on this particular forum I will say the fallowing.
    Rodding is rodding, hot, street or other wise. I didn't join this forum to be accepted. I joined to field ideas off of others with in the rodding community. That being said (for the third time now). I will say this if u don't think I belong here then u can go ahead and keep that to yourself. I know my posts are long winded but if you take the time and read through them you will find that I have no delusions of who the community is or what type of rodding you all like to do here. Like I said I am new to this forum not all forums.
    Thanks again for the mostly warm welcoming

13. farmer12

farmer12

Welcome from the Netherlands!