Register now to get rid of these ads!

Say a prayer for Adriene

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

On January 17,1928 a future great machinist car lover was born.
    His name John Biondo. A tinkerer from the start, he admired his older brother Joe and his cars. the 1st being a 1932 Chevrolet Roadster that John tinkered with and joy rode on the Streets of Brooklyn New York,nailed a fender when a driver pulled away from a curb without looking, He paid for that repair by learning Machine Shop Work from his older brother. A few years later, a 41 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe, That Adriene and John later replaced.

In true "Mid Century Modern Style" John decided a change of scenery was needed and loaded up his lovely bride Helen and made the trek out to Sunny So-Cal to apply his trade at the Burbank Lockeed Aviation plant.

On the way here he perhaps made his "Lil Adriene" and a year later, they added another Johnny to the family. They settled in the Foothills and enjoyed Sunday Family Drives. He'd like to say that his beloved "Bums o Brooklyn" saw that the weather was better here so they followed him on out.:D

John's a great machinist and could make anything that one could dream up.
    I was told that I couldn't get a part for my mill, brought an example of the part, I went and tore down a flat cad front cover off and with in 15 mins of me showing it to him, the part was made:D.

We worked on a few engines together, drink alot of joe and ate Tommy's Burgers whenever we could. I took his 41 there just for memories.
    John was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer a little while back.
    He supported our efforts in saving the Broiler. During that save I lost my dad Art to cancer as well:(.

Adriene loved her dad, he will always be her best friend, guide in life and inspiration for living. He was above all a fantastic friend and car guy.

Adriene and John once told me a story of how the family wanted to take a vacation in the family 52 Ford Wagon.It needed an engine overhaul.

Well Helen cleaned the block, John bored the block with his Van Norman bore bar,Johnny lapped the valves and Adriene fitted the piston rings. Mind you this was all assembled on the kitchen table ;).

The engine was placed back in the car and they saw the US of A in Ford vs a Chevrolet=Sorry Dinah:D! They did throughout time have had some very cool cars and that appreciation was past down to Adriene.
    She has 3 cool ones.

While I was at a Car Club Picnic today, I recieved the dreaded call:(.
    John passed away today and Adriene will need our prayers and thoughts.
    Please think of her and her Daddyman and know that we lost another part of history today June 9th 2012.

I will miss my friend and machinist mentor:(
    CK.

2. Prayers going up...

3. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Wow, what a touching story. We have to remember that only the body dies. The spirit/soul and memories continue on.

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bless John Biondo.

5. Thanks for sharing that, I know there's gotta be a little corner of heaven set aside for good machinists. Condolences to you and John's family.

Dave

6. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

God Speed to him

From all of Us in North Carolina.........

7. RIP John.......

8. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Whilst I never met the man, these wonderful words That you wrote Kevin, means he will live for a long time in our hearts.

My deepest condolences Adriene, for your dad is now at peace.

9. " A life remembered, is a life not lost "

10. southern thunder

southern thunder

Great story, GODspeed John, and a prayer for the family.

11. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Thank you guys,
    Adriene needs this right now. I know that she is feeling empty right now. just as some of have said, His body may be gone, but his wisdom will live on for long as we can spread it to people who'll listen. This man will always be one of the smartest men that I have ever known.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  12. Beachcomber

Beachcomber
    from Phoenix,AZ

another legend gone... prayers

13. Best wishes and condolences from my family to Adriene and family.

14. Sorry to hear about your friend,Kevin. Tell Adriene My thoughts are with her and her family.
    I ate dinner at Bob's in Downey last night and was thinking about you guys....

15. Philbilly

Philbilly

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Prayers going out to family and friends, thank you for the bio of a great person we never got the chance to meet. Bob

17. Adriene

Adriene

Awe K, what a wonderful post! I love the John Biondo Story! The way you wrote it is so warm and touching that I read it like it was all new to me. I will send Mazooma some pictures to post for me so I can share the legacy of a very simple yet complex man. A very great and happy man who touched many many people's lives with his incredible humor and brilliant mind.

Just two weeks ago I was helping him write out his bills and said, "Daddy, here's your Allstate car insurance - what do you want to do on that?" He said, "Pay it a year in advance. I have a very long journey to make...and I'll be in Good Hands With Allstate."

God bless you, Daddy. I will miss you like crazy. I hope you can feel all the love that surrounds you always. Thank you so much, everyone. Your support is greatly appreciated. Adriene

18. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

What terrible news, but what a great fella and a wonderful daddy....
    He was very proud of you, Adriene...his mission here was done and he accomplished it well and with honor.....Rest in Peace, Sir...Rest in Peace...Doug

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky
    That's where I'm gonna go when I die
    When I die and they lay me to rest
    I'm gonna go to the place that's the best"

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

sucks man, prayers to the family and friends. sounded like a great guy with a lot of knowledge and happiness to share

21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Great story & Pics - Sympathy to Family & Friends

22. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

bump...for the man...

23. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Prayers to the family...God Bless!

24. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

My deepest condolences Adriene. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I am here if you need anything. Please call me if you need anything.

I did not know John but if he is anything like is daughter, he was a wonderful man.
    RIP John Biondo

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Yes, Paul,
    He was very much like his daughter or should I say Adriene was very much like him ;). Those shots are pretty telling of the Daddyman!
    There is a pic of him under the hood of Adriene's P-1800, another of him in the 41. A friend of mine and I got that on the road again so he could take a ride to get a cup o joe or just sit in it and take in the smell of the 41. He was pretty popular with the ladies too! ;).

Little did I know that this would be the last pic of John near his 41.
    John and Adrien, Thank you for allowing me to place my hands upon your treasured and loved Custom Deluxe.

Look above at the other pix, you see him and his brother building a house in Toms River N.J. The place looks remarkably the same today, although they haven't owned it for nearly 56 yrs There was nothing that this guy could not do. The words "I can't" did not exist in his vocab.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

27. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Very sorry for your loss Adriene. Glad you had it so good while he was here.

28. belair

belair

DADDYS RULE. My condolences.

29. Koala Kruizer

Koala Kruizer

My sincere condolences to Adriene and The Biondo Family. I had the opportunity to speak with Adriene about her father and the love and respect she has for him and the man he was. She is definitely a proud daughter. Adriene as I told you in text, May your love and memories you share with your Daddy live on forever in your heart. Hugs to you. RIP Mr John Biondo

30. farmer12

farmer12