Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects This 62 Poncho was calling my name !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rob-redm, May 11, 2012.

1. bryan6902

bryan6902

Before you go too crazy on the headlights, make sure they aren't just burned out.

2. Pretty sure the dimmer on the floor is bad.
    It was $10 from Ames Perf

3. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Cool car...I like it!

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Nawww, 8 lugs, but I 2nd the skinny whites! Great car.

Brian

5. ribbon whites for sure....

6. Don't know if you ever got an answer on the small hubcap but here's a pic. The 8 lug setup would look a lot cooler though.............just dig deeper in the wallet.

Attached Files:

7. engine and transmission (400 c.i. Pontiac with turbo 400) swap, brakes complete...front and rear

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  8. No grass growing under your feet, been some thrashing going on this past week I'd say. Walnut, Oak, or Alder for the push plank?

9. Best to you on your find/build. Here is a pic of mine, a '61 with a push bumper we made for my AA/Fueler. This pic is at Bakersfield 2003.
    Also working on a '62 Safari as time allows.

[​IMG]

10. Need to find a 62 Pontiac Bonneville station wagon Fuel level sending unit... Mine is a goner from sitting 20 years

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  11. Marshall/ THUNFIELD Rod & Custom has been busting his butt on it... brake wheel cylinders getting stainless steel sleeves , the power brake unit and master are getting the same stainless sleeving... HMMM Tom, what worked best Walnut , Oak or Alder , maybe Balsa ??? lol !!

12. If not mistaken same unit from '61-64, several are listed on ebay. Wonder if S. Barker might have one in Andy's Auto parts stash.

13. From what I heard station wagon only, Tom could you contact him and see if he has one? I would owe you big time !! :D

14. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

What was wrong with the original what 389?

15. I hadn't realized that the fuel tank is of a completely different design for the wagon, went through my '61 manuals last night to see what you are up against. I'll bring them to this Wed. nights gathering at the shop.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A fuel cell would put the fuel right in the big middle of the passenger compartment on a wagon and take up half of his usable space. Some suggestions just aren't practical for everyone.
    My interchange says that 61/64 Wagons take the same tank Rob. It may be that you could change the arm and float on a passenger car sender and make it work too. I can't find sending units in the interchange manual.

17. got about three revs on the 389, and she seized ( yes we let it soak for a bit) so 400 and a turbo 400 trans

18. Should have my 400/400 combo home pretty soon.
    Brakes are about 65% done. Getting closer to back on the road goodguys
    in July.

19. NIce, I've always liked Poncho interiors....

20. progress is moving along, still waiting for the engine and trans, the brakes are getting closer to being done. The heater core was repaired, radiator was junk.. new replacement was sourced. Thunfield Rod and Customs are busting butt on it.. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  21. yeah dude that wagon rocks!

22. So , I 've got a engine and trans from Solo here in the HAMB(thank you !!!), some 400 exhaust manifolds from Stephen.... Fuel tanks is cleaned and resealed, new radiator, recored heater ...

23. ls7gto

ls7gto

Cool wagon...I used the E-T classic fives on my poncho wagon. [​IMG]
    Is the interior vinyl or leather. mine is cloth. And mine is the canadian poncho.

24. No luck on my end for a left front brake drum, all rears.

25. Thanks Tom ! I found a NOS drum on Friday (OUCH !)

26. My interior is tri-color vinyl, What size rims are you running front and rear ? I found set of new 15 x 7 and 15 x 8 American Racing T.T.O. I will have to sell off the rears and get two more 15 x 7, Going to run a 215/70-15 front and rear... ribbon white wall .. I was looking at a 62 Catalina convertible at show on Saturday and he was running that size tire with out a problem.

27. ls7gto

ls7gto

I have the 15x 4 and 15x8 (4"bs) on the rear ( stole off my GTO ) but mine is on an x-frame being canadian. ( orig, 283/pg)
    I had 275/60 15 drag radials on for awhile without rubbing. you can fit alot of tire on them.

28. Rob-redm,
    I think it is calling my name too.....
    that is way too cool!!!! Congrats, that is one awesome looking wagon.

29. Little update, Thunfield Rod&Custom busting butt. They separated
    the 400/Turbo 400. Doing engine detailing. Replacing freeze plugs,new timing chain(to be safe)
    New starter, flex plate,was missing a few teeth. New flex plate. Coming along!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012