Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drag racing-man killed in crash at thompson

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jun 10, 2012.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

The pictures look horrific. Prayers to both families.

2. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Sad news for all...I found out yesterday shortly after the accident.....Below was posted by his buddy on the bullet...Littleman

I'm heart broken right now.....I know there has been a thread started already with plenty of post with people sending condolences to Rich & his Family and I thank you all for the kind words....

I Just drove Rich's Truck & Trailer home and parked it in his Driveway and words cannot express what I was feeling during that ride knowing Rich would never walk with or talk with any of us again......Rich was a member here "Rich970" also a member of CUDRA and he loved his Mopar!! It was my pleasure to know him pretty much most of my life as he and my dad attended the same high school, Rich, A quiet guy, Stayed in the back round mostly, but always and I mean always had A Smile on his face, He was just that guy, You may have not known him, But you couldn't help but to like him......Sadly, I feel like that smile was taken for granted, I knew I would see it again after that pass because he had just laid down a good one 8.58 @ 151 mph and then it happened ...
    Details & Facts :Rich Had just put a new Jerico Trans in his car and taken the old stock type hemi 4-speed out....The difference in the two were that when he let out of the gas on the top end the old trans would pull the car down making it easier to stop whereas the new trans would Pop into Neutral as soon as he lifted as he found out first pass this morning, Judging by the MPH on his final pass Rich was trying to counter the trans popping out of gear by grabbing a little brake as he lifted,He had just said that he'd had a hell of a time stopping the pass prior, anyway, There was a small puff of smoke at the finish line and the car made a hard left into the guardrail just past the finish line then shot back right into the far guardrail at which point broke the rail and fed itself through the passenger side of the car impaling Rich and Killing him instantly....The dragster Driven By Chuck Waid was also involved as he barrel rolled his car trying to avoid coming into contact with Rich (I Wish Chuck A Speedy Recovery).....No amount of safety Equipment could have saved him, all the broken bars were ripped out of it by the guardrail including the drivers seat & harnesses...I'm not a fan of guardrails,But we make decisions to race and we know the risk involved.....Rich along with many others are/were well aware of these type of risk and chose to race there anyway, So please do not Bash Thompson Raceway Park for not having Full Barrier Wall, Just Hope That in the future changes can be made to help prevent tragedy's like this one....

I'd like to Thank the Thompson Raceway Staff & Jimmy Curtis & The Renegade Racing Assoc. For Donating the proceeds of Todays race to Rich's Family. I'd also like to thank all the racers that came over to offer a hand and to make sure we didn't need anything..I can't remember the woman's name who always walks around bare foot, But She is some special kind of lady,She's with Dan Chuppa and truly a sweetheart,She would not go until she new for sure we didn't need anything, She even offered some yard space not too far from the track if we could not get his stuff home, It made me smile during a very rough time to see the support of fellow racers.....Rich, We Love You & We'll Miss you...Keep Shifting Those gears in the Sky.

3. Graham M

Graham M
    from Calgary AB

Wow that car is mangled. RIP

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sympathy to Family & Friends

5. sad news for sure, Godspeed to him

6. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

7. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

My sympathy to his family and all his friends, fellow racers and buddies. I have built and raced many cars over the years and have had my share of ohmigods! While going down the track. But, I kept coming back because I loved it, sounds like he had an issue but went out anyway.... I probably would have done the same thing. I'm not being insensitive or callous but it sounds like he passed doing what he was truly passionate about.......God bless!

8. This really sucks! My thoughts are with the drivers family and friends.

9. robber

robber

Thoughts and prayers go out to Rich and his family.

10. cayager

cayager

very sad. we all know the risks of the things we do, but its still a shock when someone close leaves us. good things go very bad very fast. i guess you need to do the things you love because you never know when youll be gone.

11. careyohio

careyohio

Prayers from Rob and me ....

12. 296ardun

296ardun

Very sad, RIP

13. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Really gives you something to think about. I hold each day and everyone special to me as a blessing. Never knew Rich, but you can tell quickly he was the kind of guy who was special to many.

Gods blessing and strength to his family during these trying times.....

14. ac0j

ac0j

If he would have picked a way to go, I bet this is what he would have picked. BUT still a tragedy. R.I.P.

15. smautobody

smautobody

horrible story my prayers go out for his family thanks for posting what you know dave it cleared up alot of questions

16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Unbelievably bad crash. Heartfelt prayers to family and friends.

17. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

RIP Brother.

Dave

18. We all know it can happen but always hope it never does.
    My sympathy to All his family and friends.
    RIP

19. very sorry to hear of the personal loss that his family and friends had thrust upon them and am sorry to learn a great hot rodder has passed

my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family and friends

20. fullthrottle24

fullthrottle24

Condolances to all family and friends.

21. quick60

quick60
    from Virginia

Sorry to hear of his passing. Very tragic indeed.

22. turbota400

turbota400

My condolences go out to his family and friends. Thank you, Littleman for filling us in. I wish you the best in your loss. It takes a strong man and one helluva friend to drive the rig home.

23. Deepest sympathies to his family and friends .

24. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

First off, i'm heartbroken about the accident. Even though i don't know the driver or the family i know how tough it can be.

Secondly, i'm concerned because it seems as though most serious drag accidents, at least recently, including this one, involve striking the guardrail.

Are there reasons why we are not using tires or some other design that would lessen the impact?

25. Also my deepest sympathies to his family and all his friends.
    <!-- / message -->

26. jcapps

jcapps
    from SoCal

27. bmita

bmita

Condolances to all his family.

28. KutlassKim

KutlassKim

How Tragic. Thanks for the post Dave (Littleman) My prayers go out to the Moore family, Rich's friends, the racing community, and Thompson Raceway.

R.I.P. Rich

29. Chevy48

Chevy48

Total bummer!

Let's hope he is in drag-strip heaven, forever ripping through the 1/4 mile.