Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. partsrivet

partsrivet

More action from the Nationals. On the east side is a CM/SP named Dancer but I can't make out the name on the Anglia in the foreground. Give a yell if you know who they are. Very typical of the caliber of cars seen in every class at Indy. Does today bear any resemblance to this?

[​IMG]

2. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

love the willys and anglia and Ohio George's 33 and seevers weisner and owesn 33...thanks for sharing

3. Church Key

Church Key

Maybe the "Wheeler Dealer"? Bruce Wheeler bought Ed Pink's 1965 Don Long car. The car was lenthened in 67, a nose piece was added. Wheeler bought the Old Master and painted it red.

4. partsrivet

partsrivet

Funny cars changed so fast in the first couple of years. It's 1966 and both Tom Grove and Gas Ronda have Ford's latest factory cars running in A/XS here at the Nationals. Only a year earlier the cars were much more like street cars, with the slightly altered Mopars up against the first generation of SOHC Mustangs. Look at those rear tires buckle as the boys get underway before the appreciative crowd in the packed stands. Yeah, today's cars are much faster, but to me, this is funny car racing, not the corporate go carts with the unidentifiable kiddie car bodies of today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  5. partsrivet

partsrivet

A superb ending to a wonderful year! Bill Jenkins and Jere Stahl are in a wheel to wheel battle for the World Championship at Tulsa in October of 1966. I don't remember how both Division 1 cars qualified, but here they are, thrilling the packed house at Southwest Raceway on the final run of Top Stock Eliminator. As it happened Stahl got the win, but to me, it was the fans who won as well in being able to witness such excellent racing by a couple of giants in the sport.

That's all for a bit as I'll be on the road for a while. Hope to see some action in Bowling Green next Friday if all goes well. Keep it lit!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  6. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

The red anglia car that is racing the white corvette is the Dacus Brothers from Hawkins, Texas. This picture was taken after they had just bought the car from some guys in Kansas. Best I remember they put Dacus on the door with shoe polish.
    Great Pictures partrivet!

1940 Willys Coupe

7. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

WCD;
    I'm wondering, what year did Top Gas start?
    I was thinking also Pro Comp started earlier too. I do recall it was a sportsman division run at the Sports Nats in Bowling Green every year even though it was professional. Any more I get confused.
    I do remember the fun we had at the park for a nickle after the track closed.

One more quick question please, what year was the last of the blown Street Roadster class?
    I know IHRA dropped injectors for carbs in that class sometime around 81' if memory serves correct. we ran it and held records for A class in 81' and 82'. Tom S.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  8. Crazy man Taylor was nuts. Huge part of Australian racing history..

9. WCD

WCD

10. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

11. Larry T

Larry T

12. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

13. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Nice 56'. Looks like it's at Ca., but like modified elim cars here in Tn.
    Tom S.

14. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Is that a Super Duty scoop on that '56 hood?

15. Riverside Raceway, Ca. 1964. Inaugural Hot Rod Magazine Championships. Same car and trophies today IMAG0579.jpg

IMAG0541.jpg

16. Fiberglass Trends. You can buy similar ones today from Speedway Motors. I believe they call it a "Shelby Scoop" 0129121941.jpg

17. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

Thanks! I'll check it out. The SD scoops are outta sight money!

18. About $60.00 I believe. A friend of mine makes them in different "see through" colors, but the top of the scoop is round like this "Bad Man" pic, not flat like the one on my car. badman.jpg He's making a dark blue one for me to match my windows. PS. The colored ones my friend makes are a little more than double the cost of the "Shelby" scoop from Speedway Motors.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  19. pontman

pontman

No! Its to big, don't have any pictures to back that up.

johnk320, I live an farm country and there are a few still on hay trucks, but in bad shape. Bought a few off a couple different farmers for $20. or a bottle of whiskey.

20. BSL409

BSL409

i found this one in a junk yard

Attached Files:

21. johnk320

johnk320
    from Erie PA

BSL409-

Other than the rust, are all the studs with it? What does the grille look like? Are you looking to sell?

22. partsrivet

partsrivet

Kansas engine builder Ted Detar in the Falcon takes on Jack Robinson's Texas Twister at Tulsa in 1966. A good view of some early home brewed funny cars.

[​IMG]

23. partsrivet

partsrivet

When I first was looking at this view while scanning I thought it was Gas Ronda, but looking at it closer, I'm sure it's not. Any of you Ford fans have an idea who it might be? Another question-is that Bruce Larson's Cobra in the foreground? This is from the Nationals in 1966.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  24. gtx6970

gtx6970

To the many here that have posted pictures here. I thank you. Not sure how I found this thread , but damn glad I did. Along with the memorys it's stirred up and the fact that so many from back in the day are still with us to indentify the pictures , cars , drivers, dates and location is amazing.
    I could sit (and have sat) here for hours on end looking thru all the pictures reading the comments.
    I'm amazed this thread started over 5 years ago and has gone strong for so many years has got to be some kind of record. My hats off to RoyalShifter for the beginning

So far, I've made it to page 365 and as of this writing there are over 1600 pages.
    Sadly I was 10 in 1969 and was still playing with toy cars and model kits . One of the very 1st models I ever built was Barry Setzers Vega Funnycar,,,,, and from that moment on I was hooked.

My hats off to you all.:D

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  25. Love that '65 Nova

26. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

From the Hunnert Car Heads Up....:cool:

Attached Files:

27. The blown powered long nose red Mustang at Indy would be the Darrell Droke Downey Ford car.

28. biscaynes

biscaynes

appears to be...

[​IMG]