Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

Fast Eddie;when are you going to do a shirt like your avatar? ROY.

2. SMITH&WELSH

SMITH&WELSH

Here Is a pic of the car about 7 yrs ago at Carlisle it was for sale there for
    $75,000.00. The owner told me he paid $700.00 for it in 1973 it had been turned it a street car by then.He restored it about 8 yrs ago.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  3. Roy:

I would love to but the artist that did the picture does not want his artwork on t-shirts, he gave me permission to use it on my business cards, invoices, decals etc.. it would make a "SICK" shirt

FE

4. Merritt

Merritt

Last fall when all the talk was about cutting weight I decided to cut a little weight by putting Wilwood Brakes on the Comet, then added the Total Control Products upper control arms and single adjustable shock. I bit the price bullet and got the Ron Morris lower control arm, which is a very nice piece. I couldn’t deal with the $350 strut rod price so I made my own using a clevis bracket, an oval track tie rod and a rod end for less than a $100 for the pair. The removable export braces are from MPG Head Service in Englewood, Co. Thanks to Ken for turning me on to them.

This the weight savings, now I weighed these things on my bathroom scale so it’s not super accurate but it gives you the idea.

<O:p</O:p

Weight savings in pounds

Rear Brakes New 11.5 Old 21<O:p</O:p
    Front Brakes New 11.5 Old 32<O:p</O:p
    Front Springs & Shocks New11 Old14.5<O:p</O:p

Upper Control Arm New7.5 Old 3<O:p</O:p
    Lower Control Arm New 4.5 Old4.5

Strut Rod New 2 Old 4

In addition I put the Crites fiberglass dash panel on and saved 7.5 pounds by removing the glove box door and the trim across the front of the dash.

Total saved about 41 pounds a good deal of it unsprung weight.

At the same time I changed the rear from 4.56 to 4.30 to try to kill a few RPMs. The first time out the car equaled the best ET it had run and there is still room for improvement.

Attached Files:

5. Merritt

Merritt

The Cyanide Comet ran at Vargo in 1965, it's the car that made me fall in love with the 65 Comet.

6. Eric & Ken. I'll be back in Castle Rock & Parker for about a week after
    July 7. Hope we could get together then.

My 65 Comet is stored away but during my trip I'm picking us another
    I-beam axle & some early EDC machined chamber FE heads for my builds. I could bring some smaller stuff from the NorCal area if you have the need. I'm 7 miles north of the Calif stateline on the coast.

Movin/on

7. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

These Two Guys Look Suspicous,

The Sniper and The Wrench

[​IMG]

8. Mummert

Mummert

The y- block business is going pretty good. My dad spends a large portion of time running the cnc machine or talking on the phone. Most the weekends are spent pattern making.
    I freelance between ATV engines& yblock heads. Next week will be big valve guide sizing and valve jobbing deal then they move to sawing off the ends and machining ends. Then final surface and assemble.

9. Mummert

Mummert

Here's where I ask you guys for some input. My project is in the early stages.

These aren't the easiest cars to find parts for. Interior parts especially. Ive been looking at red orblue.
    Is there a good source for these parts or does anyone have a good interior guy they used.

Ive been looking at crites for many of the afx style parts. Fenders hood etc.

Ive got a deposit with jardine on some headers. I saw mercury junkys pics aways back on the extra shock tower mods. Will jardines headers fit the crites fenderwell kit? Are the extra mods needed or for covenience

Hope I not wearing you guys out. Just looking for a little insight.

Thanks Geoff.

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Geoff;for interiors talk to Jake Legasti,he is in WA.,206-781-5230.He specializes in Comet and Falcon interiors,I have seen pictures of his work,BEAUTIFUL!!!!Most people on here are happy to give out ideas and information!! ROY.

11. Mummert

Mummert

Thanks Roy. I will be giving him a call.

12. b.guggenmos

b.guggenmos

Looks great Merritt. Nice upgrade. Brian

13. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

Event Dates: June 10, 2012 - June 10, 2012
    Location: Shelby Township, Michigan, Gates open 8:00 am close at 3:00pm

AFX DAVE and Dennis K. will be there with the Arnie Beswick 65 AFX fuel injected 427 SOHC Comet Cyclone and the 64 S/S Bob Ford 427 High Riser Thunderbolt, stop buy and say Hello, ask Dave for a your picture in the AFX!!
    This major car show/swap meet/car corral/craft show returns to the Historic Packard Proving Grounds on Sunday, June 10, 2012. Pre-register early to assure your parking spot, for lower rates and preferred club parking at this growing event. Gates open at 8AM and your car must be parked on site by 11AM to qualify for trophy judging. Music by DJ, excellent food and 14 acres of beautiful grassy showfield await you and 400+ of the best show cars in SE Michigan. Visit our website for more details, directions and updates on new special features this year. Classic Packards, Cadillacs, T-birds, Corvettes, Fords, Mopars, T-buckets, hot rods, sports cars, customs, trucks, motorcycles---all types of motorized collector vehicles will be represented. ALL ARE WELCOME. Last year's show, featured in the Detroit News, Free Press and the New York Times was a huge success; this year we expect to break the records set in 2011.~~AFX DAVE~~

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  14. 65COMET

65COMET

There are some great pictures posted from the First Comet Gathering[June 7,8&9],in Pigeon Forge,over on the Comet Performance website under Comets East thread. ROY.

15. 65 comet

65 comet
    from ohio

Counting down to the Hot Rod Reunion

16. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Comets were well represented at the Cecil County Dragway nostalgia event. Merritt & the 422 gang looked good on the track.....Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  17. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

And the car show had some nice Comets as well. OK, the last pic is not a Comet, but I thought SOHC427 would like it.....Mike

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  18. 65 T-BOLT

65 T-BOLT

fiberglass front clip for a 64 comet on ebay

19. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Great photos Mike. Looked like a great time, I'm really sorry I havent been on internet in a few days I would ve drove to AFX Daves show less than a couple hours away. The dealership I work for had a show Friday night and yesterday evening was my home towns cruise and show. Its summer in MI and much happening......Al

20. southern thunder

southern thunder

there was a twin to dynos red 65 comet that ran around the atlanta, ga. area. it too was red, built by 2 african american brothers names Rosavelt,(sp) and Joe Johnson, Joe had a falcon like Hubert Platts. I think it was white, not sure. I was told by their nephew years (15 years ago) later they were built in a 2 stall garage behind joes house, and the comet was still there pushed down in the woods behind the shop.

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;thanks for posting the pictures!!!Good looking group of COMETS!!!! ROY.

22. Joe Johnson's Falcon was the ex-Bonner, '64 Falcon. It was pale blue when Bonner had it and I believe it stayed that color when Johnson had it. Johnson purchased the car from Jim Cagle who bought the car from Bonner in '65. The original car has never been found but Cagle now owns a very nice replica.

I don't have any information on the Comet

23. southern thunder

southern thunder

on georgia dragracing,com find the section of ga. racers by name, click on Roosevelt, or Joe Johnson, there is a pic. of them racing each other It looks like the old Atlanta speed shop strip. As for Joes falcon, did Jim Cagle paint it blue? when Phil Had it, Daddy Warbucks was red.

24. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Southern Thunder

Bonner started the "Warbucks" series of cars with his 65 A/FX Falcon. The blue Falcon was a 64 named "Georgia Peach". Check out the "1964/65 Ford Falcon A/FX pics" thread for lots of history & pics of the Falcons.....Mike

25. Bonner's '64 Falcon was pale blue the entire time(DST built). His '65 Falcon was Poppy Red(Holman Moody built). Two seperate cars. Cagle never painted it other than changing the lettering.

Also, late in '64 the "Warbucks" lettering appeared on the pale blue 1964 Falcon. It then carried over to his '65 AFX Mustang then to the '65 Falcon.

26. southern thunder

southern thunder

I do remember the Ga. Peach, and I didn't know Daddy Warbucks was on the blue car,I also remember the mustang Bonner Had. Thanks for setting me straight. My memory fades on some things that were 50 years ago. getting old sucks.

27. SOHC427

SOHC427

Mike, I like all of it!

Thanks for the pics!
    Eric

28. Falconred

Falconred

Looks like the rear quarter panels were "bumped" out a little behind the wheel well for tire clearance on the Dyno Comet. The last time I saw the Nicholson Comet in those days it was at Yellow River Dragstrip west of Atlanta and Dyno had the front cover off the cammer to perform some sort of work. The last time I saw the original '64 Bonner-Cagle-Johnson Falcon was at Atlanta Speed Shop Drag way in '65 or '66. It was setting down under a shade tree and these fellows who I later found out were the Johnsons were tuning on it. Lots of history there. .

I have photos of the Bonner '64 in August of '64 and it still had Al Means Ford on it and in Feb. '65 it had the "Warbucks" in the same location so it had to happen some time between those dates.

Sorry for theving this photo from the GA Dragracing web site:
    The Johnsons in action:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  29. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

A little info on the Factory 65 AFX Comets they all had Rear Wheel opened up and Bumped Out for Wheel Clearance. Remember these 65 AFX's used Leaf Springs and just took a grinder to the spring and made wheel clearance. Plus they also used air bags between the rear spring and the body subframe. They didn't use Coilovers or tubbing the rear wheel wells like today. The 64's AFX Comets is another story. ~~AFX DAVE~~

30. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Sorry, but I felt it needed a re-post. Gives me wood every time I look at this pic!!!!