Register now to get rid of these ads!

Everett "Cotton" Owens 1924- 2012

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Jun 9, 2012.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

There have only been 5 months completed this year but we have lost some of mortorsports greatest. Cotton Owens was certainly one of them. He was a great driver giving Pontiac their first NASCAR win at the Daytona Beach Course race in 1957. But it was as a car owner where he had his most success. He hired Junior Johnson to drive for him in 1962. His greatest success was with fellow South Carolinian David Pearson, winning the NASCAR championship in 1966 with Hemi powered Dodges. They also drag raced some in 1965 during the NASCAR ban, racing "The Cotton Picker" Hemi powerd Dart. I last saw Cotton several years ago at the Henderson, North Carolina show. He was in his '80s but in very good health.

Cotton was recently selected by NASCAR to join there 2013 Hall Of Fame in Feburary. My condolences to his family.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  2. edweird

edweird

R.i.p. Cotton.

3. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Boy, the greats are leaving us too soon. Don't they always?:(

5. sololobo

sololobo

R.I.P. brother Cotton Owens, a true pioneer of the oval sports world. Gone but never forgotten. ~sololobo~

6. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

R.I.P. Cotton Owens, an ABSOLUTE Legend. Nascar the way it USED to be.

Frank, the stuff you remember never ceases to amaze me. I had forgotten all about that Hemi Dart they Dragged around Kakalaky back in the day. Great Stuff. I gotta go research that now!

7. One of the true pioneers of Nascar and surely will find his way into the Hall of Fame and rightly so. Condolences to his family and friends..

8. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

[​IMG]
    Wow--very good info on Cottons' Website. Could have sworn I saw that car match racing in the Carolinas but looks like they ran it in Georgia for the most part.

9. I got to talk with Cotton and David Pearson back in November of last year at Mason's open house,Both were forces to be reckoned as the early pioneers of Nascar racing.

I am happy that he lived long enough to be inducted in the Hall of Fame.

R.I.P. "Cotton",,HRP

10. flamingokid

flamingokid

RIP Cotton.....

11. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

God bless you for you have done more than most could hope to do in two life times.

12. frank spittle

frank spittle

Here is some more info on Cottons' 1957 Daytona win. He and teammate Banjo Matthews were driving for Ray Nichels' Stevens Pontiac sponsored team. Matthews won the pole and Owens won the race. His average speed of 101.541 was the first average speed to top 100 mph at Daytona Beach Course and is STILL the record.

13. jamesdmikesell

jamesdmikesell
    from utah

we will miss you Cotton thanks for the memories RIP

14. like he said - thanks for the memories and great he heard he was in the "hall"....don't think they were the biggest team back in the day....but that 1966 Charger (season) was what makes me want to add one to my inventory like badly......

15. frank spittle

frank spittle

One of the lasting accomplishments of Cotton Owens happened in 1970. With Buddy Baker driving for him they took Owens' winged Dodge Daytona to Talladega for tire testing. During that test Baker ran a lap of 200.447 and the team became the first to run an official NASCAR 200 mph lap. I remember all the hoopla. Owens was quoted as saying it was as gratifying as winning the '66 NASCAR championship.

16. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana