Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Shoebox Tudor one piece windows?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by daddio211, May 30, 2012.

1. daddio211

daddio211

Has anyone taken a '49-51 Ford Tudor Sedan and converted the rear windows to one-piece glass? Besides having a new piece of glass cut, can anyone detail what needs to be done?

2. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

On some cars the reason it has a 2 piece rear is so you can roll awindow down. The glass normally being the same width as the bottom of the door and the vent window remains fixed. Being a 1 piece may mean it would only wind down so far before needing a stop on it to not explode or crack when it makes contact and rubs on the inner door. You may have to make the rear of the bottom of the glass kick up to allow it to drop further into the door. I haven't done a tudor but have done many one piece conversions in the past fronts and rears. If no one chimes in pm me and i'll gladly talk you through the basic steps you'll most likely have to follow.

Edit... Give me 30 mins and i'll pm a rough guide

Dan:cool:

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  3. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks Dan, I'm aware of the issues but can't deny the uber-coolness of this look:

[​IMG]

4. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

No i'm with you 100% and that looks very nice. If done well and trimmed right i think it really cleans some cars lines up.

Check your pm, i cobbled something together you may find interesting. You may want to get settled first, i do go on a bit:D

5. studeboy

studeboy

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  6. customrod48

customrod48

I did this on my 2 door sedan. I liked the smooth look. The window does roll down but only a few inches. This is the down side. It is alot of glass to have roll down. The issue is the small amount of glass surface at the rear of the car to ride in the track. There is only room for a few inches of vertical track to keep the window from falling out of the track and jamming. I keep mine closed. To convert to a one-piece, I welded two bottom channels together the length needed to span the opening from the front of the original window to the rear of the new window. I fabricated a short window track for the vertical rise at the rear of the window opening. This is only a few inches long and meets the inner fender well at the bottom corner of the car. This track starts at the top of the bottom window opening where the staionery vent used to be. This vertical track drops down straight to the rear wheel well and attaches to the floor. The best way to locate new rear vertical channel is to cut a template out of cardboard the same shape as the window opening including vent window. Use this template to measure and locate the vertical track. I would get you pics of this but the interior is dne and the back seat and panel are a bitch to remove. I would not be afraid to tackle this as it isn't that hard....I did it....just don't plan on opening the rear window more then a few inches, as the window wants to drop forward and bind. It does look cool when done. The inner and outer trim need no mods at all, if I remember right. Good luck and PM me if you need more info.

7. i got the driver side of my shoebox done except for getting the glass cut its actually fairly easy and straight forward

8. daddio211

daddio211

Man, I love this place!

Scream, thanks for the PM. I read it thoroughly!

Studeboy, PERFECT, thank you!

Customrod, your shoe is so perfect and one of many I'm inspired by! It sounds like after all of the work yore a little disappointed in the travel. I appreciate that, so I know what to expect. Still, I think I'll go forward... the look is worth the lack of functionality. Would you do it again?

57/60, have any pictures?

9. Bugshift

Bugshift
    from Ogden Utah

I thought about doing that to the rear of the 51, but I was thinking about making them rope in (non movable windows) Like the bugs. Post pics as you do it.

10. Whoa! that does look cool!

11. daddio211

daddio211

Will do, but it will be a while. Got to get the '50 on the road first.

I know, right? The only thing I've never cared for about Tudor Shoeboxes is that the rear side windows make it look like a 4 door with the rear doors welded up... at least to me. This perfectly solves that problem, but doesn't make it look like "wannabe coupe".

12. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

I've seen this done and I think it goes a long way to cleaning up a shoebox. I plan on doing the same thing to my 50' down the road.

13. 51custom

51custom

Do you mean something like this...My very first backyard built Custom..in '91....
    Jim

Attached Files:

14. customrod48

customrod48

I'd do it again, the same way, I run A/C so don't miss the functionality. Thanks for the props..........

15. I'm in the middle of doing this, just ordered window channel yesterday. Now I'm curious to know what that PM says, is it something you can share or is it top secret?

My car is chopped so the rear window is smaller than stock, shorter lengthwise, more clearance at the wheelwell. Unchopped cars with one piece rear glass often have fixed windows, they don't roll up or down.

16. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

BigA i'll pm you the same. It may help, it may not but at least give you a few things to think about.

Just to explain, there's no secret:p I can't help others with much on here but glazing is my background. In the past i've offered advice on an open forum and ended getting into too many shit fights about ways on doing jobs. There's many ways to skin a cat and everyone has an opinion. Found pm'ing takes all that out of the equation and if someone wants the same info i'll happily send it on, as is the case.

Getting OT , pm coming:cool:

17. Philbilly

Philbilly

I don't mean to high jack this thread, but how much chop is this? It's got perfect lines. I wouldn't mind doing a one piece windows on my 50 as well.

18. 51custom

51custom

Philbilly, thanks for the fine coment...The CHOP is 3" all around, All the glass was smoked when made...
    Jim

19. daddio211

daddio211

Big A, what/where did you get the window channel? I'll likely chop my car in a fee years, but In the meantime I love this mod!

Hi jack away, its pertinent to the discussion.

20. FEDER

FEDER

When I chopped My 51 I made My rear windows roll down all the way. My chop moved the roof ahead so I had room for the window to do that. I made some 5/8"x 5/8 x 5/8" channel bent up from 18 ga. I ran the channel from 6" up from the floor to the base of the window welded it to the backside of the door post. Did the same at the rear but welded some standoffs from the rear wheelweel to hold the rear. I bought 4 ea 6 foot sticks of 5/8" window channel from perfect fit macdonald in Seattle. I made a template from 1/8th shower board to make sure it glided up and down as I tacked the channel in. I also made the glass xtra tall so I had nice long edges on the fwd and aft sides. This really helps on keeping the glass straight in the channel. I used the stock crank assy in the original position. Works GREAT. FED

Attached Files:

21. daddio211

daddio211

FEDER, that's bitchin' man!!! Thanks for sharing!

22. daddio211

daddio211

I just came across these. Lostn51 is redoing his car and these are the BEFORE pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. that broken door glass is why I temper the glass when ever i remove vent windows.if that windsield is a v-butt it could use a little help also lol. nice damn ford

24. daddio211

daddio211

LOL, I didn't even notice that... I was drooling over the rear one piece window!

25. Moose223

Moose223

Thanks guys now I will need to keep my 51! To many new ideas from this post...
    If you need close ups of this finished let me know as mine has no rear panels done so you can see the angles and problem points

26. daddio211

daddio211

Yes, please post them Moose!

27. Moose223

Moose223

Yep sure will asap! Heading out will be back tonight!

28. Moose223

Moose223

Tried for an hour to get them posted no luck, shoot me an email address I will send them.Sorry.

29. aus50ford

aus50ford
    from land of oz

Beautiful lines Feder !!!
    What/how much was your chop ? Pls tell me you've done a build thread ....

30. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

Ya that single rear window just looks real sharp.