Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Ford with 2.0l Pinto engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PetesPonies, Jun 6, 2012.

1. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

But when we are talking about a Pinto 2.0, we are talking about the European version. So what woul you guys do for a transmission?? I wnt syncros, thats really what I care about. Sticj Pinto tranny and mod the frame and torque tube?? Adapt a 30s tranny?? T5?

2. Phil1934

Phil1934

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I would certainly shoot for the T-5. That was kind of the point of the discussion between the 2.3 and it's offshoot 2.0, and your version of the 2.0. We were trying to figure out a bell housing that would put the T-5 on the back of your engine with the least screwing around, and so you could take advantage of the closed driveline conversion. Just my opinion, But any trans without a modern gear ratio spread and an overdrive isn't worth the time to mess with installing.

A good buddy of mine locally here in Phoenix has a '30 coupe with a heavily hopped up "A" banger. It has run a Zephyer filled '39 type trans behind it for about thirty years now. When it decided to start shooting teeth off like a salad shooter, (this time!) I showed him the T-5 closed driveline conversion article that was in Hot Rod Deluxe about a year ago, as did another good friend of ours about the same time. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! four nicely spaced gear ratios give little to no drop between gears, and keeps this evil thing on the boil full time. And, what was a car that you didn't dare think of driving on Phoenix's notorious freeways is now very happy cruising along at 75 or so because of the overdrive. Win Win. And, it's all hidden enough that if some one is looking to see it all, they are in a perfect possistion to give them a quick kick in the rear if they complain about modern equipment...

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

"So I'm putting a '71 SOHC 2.0 ..."

Apparently we are.

5. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Being that I also care about conversion prices, what are we talking to run a closed driveshaft with a T5? I have enough stock T5 stuff, but what about the closed conversion?

6. lorodz

lorodz

im running one in my coupester with a t-5 pretty peppy .

7. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Talk to HAMB'r crazydaddyo, about the T-5 conversion to closed driveshaft. It uses a S-10 4x4 transmission.

8. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

I wonder if a truck 3 speed toploader could be used ?? Just thinking as the 4 spd OD is being used now in the Model As. Sure the 3 speed has no OD, but is short, is synchronized and is easy to find.

9. B Blue

B Blue

The 2.3 and German 2.0 have very similar bolt patterns. The locating dowels are different diameter, stepped dowels solve that problem. Four of the 6 bolts line up perfectly. The top two bolts on the 2.3 are located higher on the block. Some have solved that problem by using only 4 bolts. Others have welded blobs of aluminum to the bell and drilled two new holes.

The early 2.3 blocks were dual drilled, would accept 2.0 or 2.3 bells. Thus, a lot of guys are convinced they are the same. They are not.

The Mustang 2.3 T5 as well as the 2.3 SOHC Ranger 5 speeds are the major 5 speed candidates. If you use a Ranger, make sure it is an 89 (M5R1) or later. The early ones (TK) have bad 1-2 ratios and are not terribly strong. If using the Ranger 5 speed, the standard 2.3 Ranger clutch disc, throwout and starter will work just fine, but you will need a Pinto (or dual drilled Ranger, they do exist) pressure plate to fit the 2.0 flywheel.

There is a huge difference in the shifter location of the T5 and M5. That may be a deciding factor in tranny choice.

Bill

10. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Yes B Blue, right on the mark with the differences in blocks. If I used a 5 speed, it would not be a Ranger Mazda piece. That trans is pretty big. I would use a T5 or even other 3 or 4 speeds. I'm trying to come to a decision here on which was to go. Once I commit and start buying pieces, I'm not going back.

11. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

still wondering about toploader style 3 speed from truck anyone??

12. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

OK . . how about this?? What you see is a 2.0 Pinto engine bellhousing and a Jeep T90. Its short and the shifter comes out of the top. True, it is made to have a transfer case on the rear of the trans . but maybe??? Perhaps there is a similar trans for the 2wd Jeeps?? Like the postal Jeeps and such? Anyone heard of these being used?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found this . . . . A T96. Some versions had a floor shift right out of the top and easy to convert one to that way of shifting.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7110490

[​IMG]

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I see what you're saying with that trans, but if I was going to sadle myself with a three speed, I'd stick with a '39 Ford type topshift. No need to make it any harder to do than it has to be. But in going with the S10 5speed from a four wheel drive and one of Crazydaddio's adaptors, you end up with the shifter in the same place as what you show, an aluminum cased trans that is a bunch lighter, a closed driveline, but more importantly a nicely spaced collection of gears that will let this engine use it's power most efficiantly.

14. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

some of the adapters are just to much money, IMO.

15. Great thread, I just picked up a '28 Tudor with a 2.0, C4 and a chevy luv rear. This set-up is pretty doggy off the line and up any hill on the freeway. I was planning on going back to the banjo rear and poss a manual trans. I did score a header and the edelbrock 1x1 intake/carb combo for it though.

subscribed.

16. pitman

pitman

17. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Stock Pinto's were doggy as hell with the C4. If you hop up the 2.0 a little, you might like the C4. Otherwise get rid of the C4 and put a T-5 in it; which should be a fairly easy swap with the rear that you have.

18. The rear end seems to be geared too low (numerically) for the motor. The rpms on the freeway seemed to low for any power, until it down shifted. Do all the T5's have to run a hydraulic clutch?. I want to get some parts in my hands BEFORE I touch it......it's really hard not to tear into it yet, but the roadster show swap meet it this weekend :D.

19. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I'm not sure what the gear ratio of low is, in the C4, but I would imagine somewhere in the middle 2's. The low gear in the T-5 is going to be somewhere in the middle 3's to low 4's, depending on what transmission you end up with. I suppose that the T-5 swap would help, but you have to take into consideration what final ratio you want to end up with before you just start swapping parts.

20. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

I think I have a plan and would like to know if you see a short fall to this. I will be mounting a later flat head type bellhousing ( like this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/flywheel-clu...a35e8c&vxp=mtr ) to my 2.0 Pinto engine. I will be doing this with a custom 3/8" steel plate I will make. It will bolt to the 2.0 and the bell will bolt to it. Then I will bolt a '32-up 3 speed to this bell. I will use a flywheel which matches that bell ( '49-'53) and drill it for the 2.0 crank. I'll have the balance done on flywheel. I will have to make I shaft to hold the pedals, but I have seen many that are available or that people have made. I will shorten the enclosed driveshaft as needed, but keep it closed and bolted to the transmission.This seems like it will work and give me the things I find important. The 3/8" plate will also be used for the engine mount as I will fab up mounts that use this plate as well. Seem like it will work??

21. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

The link doesn't work.

22. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

like this . . .

[​IMG]

23. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

there should be info out there as it was a common replacement yrs ago ........

24. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Steve, its common to install a '34 transmission onto a 2.0 Pinto??

25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

im not sure , but ive seen the auto & 4 speed used . the open drive shaft is an ez set-up . the motor will lay on its side a little . im not real familiar as i did not like the conversion . just my opion . ....... steve

26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

27. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

If you read above, I have a plan. I want to use the closed drive shaft with a custom plate to mount the trans to the engine. Engine will sit straight up. From flywheek housing back, everything will look stock.

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

29. PetesPonies

PetesPonies
    from Maryland

Steve, we are not communicating. The Shay is not at all what I want.

30. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

i always thought a 2.3 with associated 5 spd manual behind it would make for a nice power plant/long distance cruiser set up, especially in an a or pickup.