Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! Your ideas for cleaning oil stains off concrete??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SCRIBE35, Jun 9, 2012.

1. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Berryman's engine degreaser worked best for me. Spray it on, let it soak (don't let it evaporate), and rinse.

Had a "Nervous Nellie" myself once and was always cleaning stains off the sidewalk.

Be careful if you decide to play with acid. I replaced a stubborn oil stain with a blazing white patch before.

2. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Cheap oven cleaner from the dollar store. Rattle can type. Spray it on, wait a few minutes, hose it off.

3. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

degreaser . bleach .

4. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

This works.

5. carbuilder

carbuilder

I use Kitty litter all the time & have for 20 plus years just lay a good coat down on the area & just a little beyond then just grind it in with my boots sweep it up some times I have to redo but very unlikley. I keep a 5 gallon bucket in the corner ready for when I need it & reuse it till it all is pretty dark then just by another bag.

6. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Available as Muriatic acid at paint or hardware stores.

X2 it will turn your concrete white.... as soon as you hit it with water it will neutralize the acid and its safe for the drain. Same stuff you put in your swimming pool. Full strength, broom in and let set for about 10 minutes. Its golden. :D Repeat as needed. Did I mention a quarter cup of butter as well. Seriously it works well, short of sandblasting.:rolleyes:

7. carbking

carbking

Lots of stains - muriatic acid, as others have mentioned, and rinse.

Only a few stains - oven cleaner, and rinse.

I have used the muriatic outside, and the oven cleaner in my garage.

Jon.

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

9. If you use muriatic acid be sure to toss out the unused remainder. I found out the hard way that it somehow escapes ANY containers and will rust or corrode anything, including tools, in your shop within a week.
    Chuck

10. Muriatic Acid

11. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

LOL if your moving leave an open container under the water heater. LOL :rolleyes:

Just kidding!

12. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I have had good results on fairly fresh stains using laquer thinner and sawdust. Pour the thinner on the spot, and while it is wet, let the sawdust absorb it. Probably a little more expensive than some remedies, but I used what I had, and it worked well.

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Ive' had good luck with wheel cleaner that has acid in it. Spray om scrub with a stiff wire brush then use powdered laundry detergent thick and pasty.P.S. NOT the kind of acid Cheech and Chong use!:D

14. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Iv'e always sprayed the area with carburetor cleaner to loosen the oil and then quickly blot the area with clean paper towels while the carb cleaner is still wet to remove the oil. Then I wet the concrete and dirctly apply Dawn dishwashing detergent and scrub with a stiff scrub brush, then wash of with a hose. Usually works like a charm !

15. Normbc9

Normbc9

I just dampen the spot and then hand apply some Tide laundry soap (The granular type) and let the sun do its thing. Within a week it is fading fast.
    Normbc9

16. gc427

gc427
    from SoCal

Soak the oily area with mineral spirits and cover area with the oil absorb kitty litter stuff.

Sweep up the oil absorb stuff then do the water and tide thing afterwards.