Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '26 Roadster / Vintage photo search

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Nov 12, 2008.

1. MrModelT

MrModelT

bump, just 'cause :D

2. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

From the One picture there it looks like you're installing an outside oil line. Is it the one that goes from the first bearing via hollow bolt to the Mag point on the hogs head?

Also what's the secret to getting the bands adjusted properly?

CBB

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

So cool seeing the innards of the transmission. So different from what I pictured it to look like..

I'm eager to see it sitting on freshly painted black wires and new 'Stones. When will that be?

4. MrModelT

MrModelT

Yes, I did buy myself the Mag Post oil line kit for this....getting oil to the from of the engine (more than it gets already) is important and much needed. I didn't go for the high volume kit because I really didn't want to cut the hogshead.....and the mag post kit should give plenty of oil.

As for the bands, there really isn't a secret...It's all feel. You don't want the bands to drag on the drums when relaxed, as that is how you can over heat and crack drums. The bands should be fully engaged 3/4" before the the pedal head hits the floor boards and not dragging on the drum when the pedal is "out" and the bands relaxed.

They are a very unique setup. The drum closest to the flywheel is reverse, the center is Low speed and the rear drum is brake. When the bands grab there respective drums, the lock up the planetary gears with them thus driving the trans in the correct direction.

I can't wait to get them painted and mounted. They are in sealer now and hopefully in primer and color this week...:D

5. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, That sounded like a great update on your roadster. It's getting closer my friend ! Keep you eye on the prize (this time it is a trip to the Salt.

Dave

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]
    *UPDATE*
    No progress today, but I am gaining a wife
    :D

One of the wonderful things about this hobby is that it really isn't all about cars....it's about family. Today I made the first step in creating my own family by asking the love of my life Julia to be "Mrs. ModelT"...and bought her this instead of old Model T parts :rolleyes:

....Girls like these more then old car parts ;)

[​IMG]

Since all of you here on the H.A.M.B. are also "family" to me....I wanted to share :D

Outback likes this.
  7. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton and Julia, Please let me be the first to congratulate you on your impending marriage. Big step there guy. Never go to bed angry at each other. Best of luck to Mr and Mrs Model T !

Dave
    In loving memory of my Bernice - Miss you my dearest . .

Outback likes this.
  8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Wonderful news. Congratulations, my friend!

9. Congratulations!:D

10. Congratulations, Clayton!!!

11. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you all Kindly! I have had the great fortune of "growing up" here...from the newbie kid with limited experience to a far more educated and well rounded automotive craftsman who is honored to have so many great and wonder friends here. I feel privileged to share this wonderful news and next great chapter of my life with all of you.

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Congratulations to you both. I've been with my lady over 45 years, (we got married in January of 1967). Life is better shared when you find the right one to share it with. Enjoy your journeys together. :D

14. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Well you finally did it . Congratulations!!! I was wondering what was taking so long and hoping you weren't going to be an old codger before you popped the question. Mrs. ModelT you keep him in line!!

15. out plowing

out plowing

Congratulations!

16. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you so kindly! I am very happy with my Julia..and am excited about our wedding :D

17. powerwagonmaniac1

powerwagonmaniac1
    from Aloha, OR

Hey get back too work!!!!!

Wedding stuff can wait!!!!

18. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Now Chris, You go easy on Clayton and Julia. Not so much Clayton, but Julia may want to beat up on you . . yah never know. I wish them all the best in their married life.

Dave
    . . . . Bernice forever and always the love of my life. We will meet in heaven soon my dearest . . I love you.

19. SaucyNordicTart

SaucyNordicTart

Hey you can't both harass Clayton to propose and then holler at him once he does! LOL!

Thanks guys! We appreciate the well wishes very much. I will be officially changing my handle to MrsModelT shortly! ;)

20. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Not SaucyNordicWife? ;) Hooray for MrsModelT!

21. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    A little wiring...and a body.

Since I have this week off from work, I have been making some major progress. I started by getting the engined wired...

[​IMG]

...I think it turned out good..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since most of the wiring does go to the firewall (for the coil, fusebox and fuel pump) it was necessary to fit the body for the last time...

First, I got subframe painted...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reversed eye front main leaf I had made was too low...so I had to pull the front spring out and re-reverse the main leaf...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got the roller-bearing "4th Main" re-assembled with our new adapter...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stay tuned!

22. Kume

Kume

aaahh. replete and soporific - I have had my Model T fix for the night.

Looking absolutely smashing. I particularly like the look of the friction shocks in the front on view.

You seem to have a gaping orifice at the back - does this mean a new boot lid?

nice job Clayton.

It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  23. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Clayton, You are sure living up to your handle. MrModelT is the man ! This roadster is just going to be perfect. Looking forward to seeing it on the Salt. Can only dream of the day I take my Modified to the Salt. It can not be too soon.

Dave :eek:
    Bernice my dearest, I will remember you always. Love you dearest. 11/2/34 to 4/1/12

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  24. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Well, that says it all, doesn't it?

Well done!

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Getting closer Clayton. Everything about the car looks right.

26. MrModelT

MrModelT

[​IMG]

*UPDATE*
    More progress today...

Made some fairly good progress today. Got the carbs mounted up so that I can start running fuel lines and linkages. I also started laying out the coil, fuel pump and fuse box locations on the firewall. Tomorrow should be a big wiring day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also started building a new foot throttle setup using a Model A linkage assembly (that originally bolted to ears on the bellhousing). The bolt holes happen to be the same spacing just about for the ears on the T hogshead....so after a little cutting to jog around the mag post, it all worked like clockwork.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the foot pedal, but I won't be able to show it complete until the floor boards are figured out.

[​IMG]

Also got the steering column installed...

[​IMG]

Stay tuned, more coming tomorrow!

27. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Clayton ... Tell me about your Dizzy. Who made it? What mods have been made? Parts sources ............

Ron

28. MrModelT

MrModelT

My dizzy is a Mallory unit with a fully automatic advance that is setup specifically for Model T's and are built as a retro-fit for the Texas T Parts dizzy shaft housings.

They are expertly built by Jim of Bubbah's Hot Rod Ignition in Speedway, Indiana (BUBBAH'S SPEED SHOP here on the H.A.M.B.). He is a T fan and has a few....built a really cool speedster called "Simple T". All of his T's have these dizzys on them. The dwell and advance curve are specifically tuned for a T motor. At idle, the advance is about 0 degrees for safe and easy starting by crank or starter. Full advance is reached at about 2,000 to 2,300 rpms. He recommends to use a 1.5 ohm coil with his dizzys...along with the ballast resister that he will either recommend or include.

Bubbah's Hot Rod Ignition also does most other types of vintage ignition setups. I think he is also an Alliance dealer, but can't remember.

29. youngster

youngster
    Member Emeritus
    from Minnesota

Thanks for the info. I'll look into Bubbahs wares.

Ron

30. Clayton....your T is amazing. I've been silently stalking it since you first posted this thread.

Now that I'm nearing completion on my 54 tudor, I'm starting to collect parts for a 26/27 like yours.

I pulled a body out of a gully in north Texas in the late 90's but had to let it go several years ago. (my daughter in the photo is now 16)

What's your opinion on using a Model A chassis? Do you think there's anything to be gained from doing so? I ask because they come up for sale around here a lot....T's not so much for some reason.

Attached Files:

• 27 T.jpg
      27 T.jpg
      File size:
      179.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012