Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! Your ideas for cleaning oil stains off concrete??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SCRIBE35, Jun 9, 2012.

1. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

I'm moving and my landlord doesn't find the oil stains on my concrete driveway attractive. No wet oil, just old stains. She's got 2K cleaning deposit she's holding over my head. Any and all ideas welcome.
    Thanks, men!

2. I take dry cement (not concrete) and sweep it on. It absorbs into the pores. Obviously sweep it off before wetting the driveway.

3. cmbrucew

cmbrucew
    from Socal

Scrub with gas and a scrubbrush then use dietometious earth.
    You can get it at a swimming pool supply co.
    Bruce

Works good
    Lasts long time

4. Fenders

Fenders

5. oldolds

oldolds

Simple Green, or Purple Power. Pressure washer.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Rent a power washer.

7. verde742

verde742

Use TIDE, Laundry detergent, cuts grease. sounds funny but works,, "granules", spread em out, let it set a while, hose it off.. kills fish in rivers too.

8. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

I haven't tried this, but my buddy swears by it. He takes Tide granulated laundry soap and makes a thick paste out of it and water. Pushes it by hand into the stains, then rinses a couple/three days later. I know I will try it when the time comes

9. I lay thin ply wood... under car... gray spray paint ... f theman

10. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

Now THAT'S funny!

Sounds like Tide is winning the vote.

11. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Legaly, oil stains in a driveway may be consitered "normal wear and tear" and not subject to with holding of a deposit.

12. This. Wet the driveway first, shake a whole bunch of Tide over all the stains (actually any powdered laundry detergent works) let it sit for a beer or so, scrub with pushbroom, hose off. Repeat if necessary. For better results, do the final rinse off with a pressure washer.

If you can find it, you can try rice hull ash. This stuff works better than anything else I've used. Sprinkle it on dry, scrub with broom, sweep up. It absorbs the grease and bleaches the concrete in one step. The EPA or whoever outlawed it in California years ago. The last shop I worked at "imported" it from Arizona, but Arizona outlawed it 3-4 years ago as well.

13. SCRIBE35

SCRIBE35
    from California

Maybe.... but I caused it, I'll fix it.

14. I use Castrol's Super Clean (the purple stuff, I think that's what they call it), let it soak for a few minutes, then pull out my pressure washer. It actually comes cleaner than the surrounding areas.

15. roughneck424

roughneck424

16. ebfabman

ebfabman

Kitty litter and a brick or block of wood. Grind the kitty litter into the oil til it you can't see it. Sweep up. Have a beer.

17. Greaser_Kat13

Greaser_Kat13

Your Land Lord's BLOOD should do the trick, just make sure to use his face to really scrub it in... oils stains are normal wear and tear!!!

18. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

I grind I Kitty litter first, sweep and then spray a can of brake clean on it, let it sit 10-15 min then rinse. Works for me and only cost $10 bucks or less, worth a try anyway.

19. Edgrrrrr

Edgrrrrr
    from Kentucky

I used hydrocloric (spelling?) acid on my carport made the concrete very white. Gives off a noxious gas, respirator and rubber gloves recommended. Hose it off the water will delute it.

20. G'day, I have used Tide detergent with excellent results. Probably the best I have ever used is GM Top Engine Cleaner in the aerosol can. It is like the stuff you dump down the carb to clean the deposits out of your combustion chamber, off the valves, and the top of the pistons. Get the spray type and hose down the stain and wipe it up after a couple of seconds. Don't let it evaporate or the residue will stay there. After the engine cleaner clean up any residue or semi disolved rags with the Tide.

ms

21. killerbunny

killerbunny
    from serbia

The best way...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:D

22. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Available as Muriatic acid at paint or hardware stores.

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

gotta watch those powerwashers on cement. I powerwashed some leaf springs a while back and left an outline of the springs in the cement.

your landlord is a dick.

...unless they are a cunt.

24. We always scrubbed the garage bays down nightly with tide. Not too sure todays tide is as good as it was in the 60s. On tough oil stains I pour purple power cleaner straight let it set a few minutes & scrub with a wire brush side to side then up & down & hose off. I would not use gas unless you want to burn the place down.

25. Sodium Hydroxide. (Caustic Soda) If you can find it, that is what we used in the paint factory I worked at in high school. Worked on everything. Muratic acid, the stuff people clean their swimming pools with. Don't use it full strength, you won't have a driveway left.

26. It's not "his driveway", maybe full strength would be best!:D

27. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

I have not tried this myself, but a buddy of mine says cheap shampoo works very well. Pour it on, scrub it in, let it set overnight if possible, then rinse it off. I'm sure a pressure washer would help with the rinsing.

28. Edgrrrrr

Edgrrrrr
    from Kentucky

Would make it more worth the deposit anyway!

29. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Try a block of cheese ….. Seems to work good on my hands :rolleyes:

30. Budro35

Budro35

Kitty litter and a brick as said before! I did this the other day and my neighbor could not believe it. I saw him cleaning a few spots doing the same thing and he thought I tricked him somehow!! Try it it is fabulous! :cool:

303racer likes this.