Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jim Etter's Custom '40 Mercury And My Coming Of Age

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coldwar, Sep 17, 2008.

1. coldwar

coldwar
    BANNED
    from USA

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  2. 53chevy

53chevy

Hmm. it has the 39 grille and hood. Not to take anything from it. That top is to die for! Nice flow. the stance resembles what it was like too, not slammed. Though it couldn't escape the ill 80's fads done to allot of Customs back then. Hey, at least there's a Flathead, 59A block. Thanks for sharing, I think this was the same one I saw at the LA Roadsters show. It was pretty beat-up, but I could see in my mind, what it once looked like.

Ken

3. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I love the James Etter car!Although no one could ever produce a shred of evidence that this was a Barris car,it ruled!An interesting fact is that it was obvious that the pinstriping was done by the same guy that did the striping on Ted Bazackas (sp) yellow and Brown Dick Dean built 50 Merc that was also from the Pittsburgh area.

4. Rikster

Rikster

I always liked that one.

As far as I know the car was never build at Barris.... But the history on this one has not been very clear. Because of obvious reasons the recent owners would like it to be a Barris Custom...

A few more photos from this great looking car at different times.

Per Webb scans

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TinWolf scan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. As far as I know Jim is alive and well and will be at both Carlisle and Hershey selling vintage speed equipment and open wheel bits 'n pieces.
    He sells on E-bay as The Dead Eye.
    The man mentioned in the article who couldn't fit behind the wheel was the brother-in-law of another buddy, and '32 guru, who died way to early, John Parks also from Pittsburgh.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  6. 00 MACK

00 MACK

At the time Kurt McCormick was sellin repops a dime a dozen and it should be noted that Ted Bazcka(sp) who had a chopped yallow merc bu Dick Dean also had creasts on his car.Niether of em have a single shred of evidence of ever bein Barris built ....well we know Dick Dean built 1 of em!

7. 53chevy

53chevy

OK, I thought about the 39/40 (Hard to tell) Mercury Custom pictured in the background in the Part 1 of the Ayala Brothers story in the Rodders Journal (about two issues ago). They were doing a 41 vert Custom and in the background is a heavily chopped 39/40 Mercury (Even though they said it was a Ford, clearly NOT). But this one has an uncanny like less to it.

8. Rikster

Rikster

I have to agree with Pat on that it is a Ford or a 46-48 Mercury in the background of that photo you mention (page 17 TRJ #39).
    If you look careful at the angle and the window frame corners of the windshield you can see its not a 39-40 Merc.
    Also the molded in running boards dont look like 39-40 Merc items....

Photo added...

[​IMG]

so the mystery is still not solved...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  9. Not related to this car, but when we were into vintage midgets, we bought a load of vintage tires from Jim Etter. A super nice guy to deal with. Glad to hear he's still around.

10. Rikster

Rikster

And then there is also this 1939 Mercury convertible... also claimed to be a Barris. It even has a Certificate of Authenticity from Barris... but....

I dont think this is the same car as the Jim Etter's '39 Merc, but it also has a heavy chopped windshield.

[​IMG]

However the chop looks to have been done rather crude...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont know... not looking too good to me.

[​IMG]

But it has the paperwork....

[​IMG]

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just think of all the Vintage race cars that Jim Etter has found, saved, and found homes for,that would fill a book with before and after photos. He should be on Race Car Row at Hershey with the Paxton Gang.

NorthEastMetal likes this.
  12. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Wouldnt it be funny if those magenta doors were the ones off the Zaro car that Kurt trashed and thats why they can say that its a Barris car and get a certificate??laughable either way!
    !!!

13. 53chevy

53chevy

Though it would be nice to see better photo of this Custom (After all, its a copy on magazine paper). The rear fender made me learn toward the 39/40 Mercury. Don't see the reveal line as you see on most 1941-48 Ford/Mercury Customs (example: Paul "Snooky" Janich '41 Custom didn't have 'em). And I guess I can't see the line for the continuation of the door into the lip like most 41-48 Ford/Mercury cars. But I think your right. Oh well....

Ken

14. 53chevy

53chevy

And the scanned magazine pics are great! I truly Love this Custom!

Oh, not the wanna be left-over Barris Custom, pretty sad. More pics of the Jim Etter's Custom would be awesome. Again, Thanks for bring this into the HAMB spotlight! If you will.

Ken

15. Rikster

Rikster

MYSTERY SOLVED.. Thank you anthony.

The Pink convertible I just posted is made out of the remains of teh Johnny Zaro Merc... If you look close at the front fender you see some damage on the passenger side where the bumper bracket once was... Now take your Pat Ganahl Custom Car book turn to page 145 and notice its excactly the same damage as in the photo where Kurt Kurts sits on the front bench with a pile of "left over" parts of his Zaro Merc... The photo caption says all Kurt used from this car where the roof, chrome dash and laminated knobs... the rest was trashed... So this is a Barris car after all....

Zaro Mercury remains after Kurt McCormick took it apart and just realised how bad it realy was... (photos from Pat Ganahl Custom Car book)

[​IMG]

Look at the damage on the passenger front fender

[​IMG]

And the convertible... (not the Jim Etter Merc)

[​IMG]

Funny thing is that the Zaro Merc started out as a 1940 Mercury... but after having had many - some very obscure - grille treatments it ended up with a 1939 grilled but 40 hood.

[​IMG]

16. Rikster

Rikster

A few more

KustomLincolnLady photo

[​IMG]

From the magazine article

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Rikster

Rikster

I have enlarged a few of the Swedish magazine article...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. RIK FOR PRESIDENT!-MIKE:eek::D

19. Cruiser

Cruiser

Coldwar,

:D Well, it's time to sell whatever car you have now and build that dream before it's too late. Think about it put all wondering to rest and you could cruiser in style. As the saying goes "just do it." Or buy that dream already done....................

CRUISER :cool:

20. chrisman

chrisman

CW, you're not the only one who got inspired by that car! Like Rikster, I don't believe it is a Barris car, the crests were added sometime between Karl Jonasson and Jim Etter. That car doesn't need a phony pedigree, it was bad-ass all on its own.

21. Rikster

Rikster

bttt

Nobody else with some historic facts on the Karl Jonasson/Jim Etter 1939 Merc.

22. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Since we now see that that IS what happened, it raises the question of which one is REALLY a Barris custom, and who has the Zaro merc...
    Kurt only has the roof, dash and knobs and title, but it seems someone else has the rest....

23. 53chevy

53chevy

So is it a 1940 or 1939? the Front grille and hood are '39. But the doors look to be '40 having the vents and the rear fenders look to have the 'taillights too! It's funny that the Zaro Mercury Custom, when Kurt acquired, had the '39 front end too. Maybe it was a 70's/80's thing. Either way, this Custom is NICE! I am so tempted to do a Carson style (but it wouldn't be right). Can't see the rear fender wheel opening, as the 39 were narrower compared to 40, as I noticed.

Ken

24. Rikster

Rikster

Jim Etter's car is a 39.
    Look at the dash in this photo before it was replaced with a 51 Ford unit.

[​IMG]

The Johnny Zaro merc is a 1940

At the Barris shop before it got chopped.

[​IMG]

Dash of the Zaro Merc

[​IMG]

25. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Im on my work computer.At home,All I could see was 1 pic!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  26. airnwater

airnwater