Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Just a cool old picture

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommy, Jun 8, 2012.

1. n847

n847

Thats bitchin...But I think you can also see the guy who invented capri pants on men! Thats not nearly as cool!

2. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Holy shit that brought back flood of memories! we used to use this 10ft tall tripod for damn near every engine swap,my Grandpa made it back in the late 50's or early 60's out of schedule 40 boiler 3' pipe!man did i HATE dragging that thing a cross town,it always took 2 cars/trucks 1 to pull it & 1 to follow so the cops would stop us for not having a red flag on the end,& once you got to the car you had to hang this 960lbs chain hoist {finger pinching mother f*cker}& it never failed once it was up we would have to turn it 'cause the rear leg was set back farther back! DAMN DAMN!!:D
    geeza i miss those days!

3. Edgrrrrr

Edgrrrrr
    from Kentucky

Very cool photo! Had to look twice though thought it was a bunch of state workers at first (one guy working the rest watching)

4. Moose223

Moose223

Very cool, did we all look like that in the early sixties...

5. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I was never that skinny.:D

6. Ditto..great photo. Kinda like the one on the cover of that old Life magazine from the 50s.

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

what a great picture tommy

the boy that owned that car must have had a cool mom
    I almost expect to see a plate full of sandwiches in the picture

8. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Exactly what I was going to say. No obesity apparent in that photo. So is it one of the side-benefits of being a hot rodder? Or can (as proposed in 48Ford's suggestion) it be attributed to the lack of the ubiquitous convenience stores and the proliferation of junk food and carbohydrates?

What a great photo - would be interesting to know where each of those guys are now - even the prissy ones that dressed for a sanitary swap.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What the?...they have no tattoos. No piercings. Not even any lettering or pics on their t-shirts.

Cool picture.

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Now who's car is it? I think it's the guy with his leg up on the frame rail. His mechanic buddy is doing the engine work. The guy on the far left just walked up. Too clean cut to wanna do anything but he's diggin' it. The guy sitting on the floor in the car is working on the shift linkage. The other guys are just happy to be there....especially the little dudes. That was me in the 80's.
    Great pic. Thanks a ton!

11. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Awesome photo!!!!!!!!!

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Move that up to the mid-sixties and I could be that kid in the checked shirt. Funny thing is, most guys would only tell you to bugger off once or twice, after that, they would usually start talking to you. Sometimes I wish I could go back there, man, the level of obsession and facination I felt at that time. Its still there I guess, but it has kind of morphed and changed. Something REAL special about it when you are a car-crazy eight yr old.
    I still remember something Bob Crosbie said to me when I was about twelve. He was firing a customers pretty raucous sbf for the first time, and I was filling the rad and so on, doing all those menial jobs that mentors give 12 yr olds. After the cam was broken in, he shut it off to re-torque the heads and run the valves. He was usually pretty gruff and abrasive, I was standing there grinning ear to ear, ears still ringing, and he looked at me, grinned, and said "sorta gives you a hard-on, doesnt it?'
    All of a sudden, I really felt like one of the guys. Still remember that like it was yesterday...

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That BB Mopar powered T-bucket is a KNOCKOUT!

15. Philbilly

Philbilly

Very cool photo!

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

used a 1 1/2 spade bit to drill a hole in the cross-beam of the car-port of a RENTED house, hung a come-along off a chain I put through the hole.
    Oh yea, should add, the crowd of "helpers":rolleyes: was about the same size as the photo...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

You might be right it is his parents home. I don't know much about the specifics.

18. sic-nic

sic-nic

kool pic! i remember watching my older brother and the his buddy work on rods and bikes in the neighbor's barn in the '60's.

19. Awesome picture!! Just can’t stop looking at all the details; I love the jalopy and the happiness with all friends working on it. Love the look of the two younger kids looking and dreaming of an own jalopy, they probably get a lot of good and healthy inspiration. This is my wallpaper now!

20. 413 mopar. later got transplanted into a 50-51 ford.:eek:

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

speaking of off-beat engine swaps. I remember when I was about 12-13 years old, I saw this rough looking pilothouse dodge PU with some pretty hefty looking ladder bars parked on the side of the road with the hood up. Being a curious kid, I wandered over to take a look. Under the hood was a square-port BB chevy with a 950 3bbl!