Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1951 Ford F1 "The Nut Smuggler"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MikeAtt, Jun 3, 2012.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Check with hamz52. He has access to quality parts and is a good guy to deal with. The parts he got me for my '51 F1 last year were in good shape and a good price.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  2. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very solid truck!!! Subscribed....

Btw..you are aware that your spare dash is from a 48-50 right? Just checking....

Can't wait to see where this one is going...

3. hershambob

hershambob

wow thats a solid truck,even has rust free front fenders,result

4. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

Wotcher !

Those pickups are BIG, you're going to have fun fitting down those cornwall lanes with it. At least people will get out of your way ;-)

My uncle and aunt are in Portscatho, got to make it back over soon and visit the Eden Project.

have fun with the nut Smuggler.

5. From VW's to the Flathead world ..........now your're stuck!!!
    looks like a nice piece to start with, lets see a blown 304 flattie, T5, 8" rear and slammed.......OK!!

6. Lokos like you have a VERY nice specimen to start with. Good luck!

7. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

X2 Yep

8. The Nut Smuggler... that cracks me up. My first F1 was a rust smuggler.

Welcome to the HAMB and F1 ownership.

I'll be watching your progress. Looks like you got a good one to start with. A black plate Calif truck to boot. I know a little about F1's if you have any questions. I kinda' like the dash and don't think I'd change it, just make it look better. Nice job getting the 'farmer' bumper off.

9. burnettd01

burnettd01

Nut Smuggler

Welcome to the HAMB.

I also have a 51 F-1 that was in about the same condition as yours when I got it. I still have much work to do but I am welding in a 1950 Ford shoebox dash into my 51. There won't be much of the original sheet metal left when I am done but I have the two factory gauges, glove box door, ash tray, radio speaker trim and the original chrome moldings that I won't be using. I live in California about an hour away from Sacramento. Let me know if I can help in any way. Good luck with your project. Keep us posted as to the progress.
    Take Care
    Dan

10. bk53

bk53
    from Rowlett Tx

from the looks of your shed, the nut smuggler wound up in the right hands.
    welcome

Bill

11. Dirk35

Dirk35

Doesnt smuggling imply that you are hiding something, typically with the intentions of transporting it illegally, often to sell it? Thus, I think most of our trucks are rust horders...... like on the TV, and wont give up their ill gotten gains without serious work! Bazinga! :D

LowKat, Ive seen your posts. Your truck isnt hiding anything! It looks great!

12. MikeAtt

MikeAtt

Thanks for all the replies, for some reason I'm not getting email notifications of replies

I've just placed a big order with MAC's for alot of the parts needed to get this sucker on the road

13. MikeAtt

MikeAtt

Sound good mate, I think it's mainly the drivers side of the dash that I'm going to be needing

Let me know what price you would be looking at for all the dash bits

Cheers
    Mike

14. MikeAtt

MikeAtt

The first bits I need to source for the Nut Smuggler is the pedal assembly and E brake assembly as I want to be able to weld up all the random hole in the bulkhead while the motors pulled, I'm watching a few bits on EBay.com

15. Clevername

Clevername

I thought I read something about towing with this truck...I may get blasted for this..but maybe you should drop in an OHC 6 or 8 (Ford of course) and save the Flathead for the pre-war you WILL get next. I am sure a working engine and trans could be in a shipping container of your choice for way less than a Flathead build.

16. MikeAtt

MikeAtt

I was hoping to tow with this every now and then, it would be a lightweight vintage caravan something like this

[​IMG]

The gross weight would be sometUhing like 2800lb, is that not going to be possible with this truck with the Flathead?

17. MikeAtt

MikeAtt

I've done abit of messing round on Photoshop with the truck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

That looks just right. Think you can achieve that drop and still have a good driver on our bad roads ?

19. MikeAtt

MikeAtt

That would only be achievable on the UK road with airlift

The plan is to get the truck on the road at stock height and then drop it at a later date

20. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

I get the idea.

BTW, that's a very nice old blue VW bus in your storage unit.

21. MikeAtt

MikeAtt

Got a couple of hours to work on the truck today

With the help of my neighbour we got the engine hoisted out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the day the truck was delivered I put diesel down the barrels which has worked it's magic as the motor's no longer seized :)

Over all the engine bay looks pretty good except for where the 6 cylinder engine mounts were cut out of the chassis, as that section is removable it will be an easy repair

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've got to work out which of the holes in the bulkhead are ment to be there so I can weld up the extra's, any idea's F1 people?

[​IMG]

I'm back at the unit tomorrow night to get the engine bolted onto the engine stand so I can pressure wash it and begin the strip down

22. Great project you have on your hands! I saw mention of the Hotrod Hayride somewhere, without an engine in there i doubt you'll be gettin it there even with Herculean effort! Hope to see it next year maybe.

Good to see you've got the kid involved too, mine keeps calling my ride Chitty Bang Bang, and while funny the first time, its wearing thin.

Keep up the build thread, I'm subscribed!

23. MikeAtt

MikeAtt

Hey Dudford

Yep no chance of this truck making it to the Hayride this year, I will still be going though just in the daily though

24. I was gonna trailer my Chrysler there as a work in progress thing but my Dad decided to have a 60th party, how inconsiderate!

looking at your prior work I'd say you'll do a great job with the Nut Smuggler but tell me, do you intend to retain that patina or dare i say Rattish look or will you be putting your own spin on it?

Ps: let me know if you wanna chop in that engine!

25. MikeAtt

MikeAtt

The patina will be staying but the whole truck is going to be sealed in a special satin laquer a friend of mine has come across

Living by the sea in the UK there is no way you could roll a patina ride with no protection

26. MikeAtt

MikeAtt

I'm trying to track down a pedal assembly for this

Am I right in thinking that the pedals are different for 6 and 8 engines?

Mike

27. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

that truck is rad. looks like a really good start to a great build.

28. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Not that I know of, at least the brake and clutch, as nothing changes in the tranny or brakes between the 6 and 8. The gas pedal should be the same, only the linkages are different.

29. MikeAtt

MikeAtt

Ok, Thanks

Does anyone have a picture of the 6 and 8 gas linkage so I can see the difference?

30. Looking good Mike. Glad to see it had exactly the same crimes on it as mine did and you attacked them in the same order. Rear end metalwork and then the metal bed cover etc. Can defo go as low as that with CPP dropped leaves. Can go two inches lower than mine if you go for the monoleaf front end