Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Roadster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AULIZ, Mar 9, 2012.

1. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Sir.
    Not any idea what next. I have promised to chop one 1951 Chevy next winter and maybe its better to take easy and try to get economy right level and have time with Oscar -boy.

5w coupe body must lift up and maybe next winter I made new plywoods for new interior. I do not like this old one.

Aulis

2. AULIZ

AULIZ

Engine no run, no fire,..... but good thing is that we have found problem.
    This Harman&Collins magneto has been istalled 8BA engine and now need to make new points mounting plate and rotor must make adjustable or another way different.
    Reason is that now magnetos "load point" is wrong side of timing monent" ,....
    (my english is good so not easy to explain,...)

Problems are made for solve and I have decided that I do not install original distributor (1939),.......

Oil pressure is OK, electrics (lights,,..) are OK and fuel system is OK.

Aulis

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  3. You have built a very nice Roadster!
    THANKS for sharing all your build info & photos.
    Time for fun is near....HAVE FUN DRIVING IT.

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Man that's a great looking rod. I admire your craftsmanship. One thing though, are those brass bolts/nuts that you are using strong enough for use on suspension components? Around here everyone tends to grade 8. Hate to see such a master builder and his cool rod get into an accident.

5. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

LOOKs great, love the tow car too!

6. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello,
    Thank You Sirs. It gives very much more power to work, when somebody gives positive feedback !

Today I get Harman Collins magneto work. I must learn how to adjust it.
    I made some new parts: New adjustable mounting plate for points and new rotor (60´s Ford Smallblock distributor rotor was good start to make new rotor). This my harman collins was ready to install to 8BA flathead, but need to change those parts and tune up for eally flatheads. Everyday learn something new, today very much.

Engine runs good, but still very much tune up working, but very good sound and all works, thats Good.

Rgds,AULIS

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  7. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

good i wanna see that thing movin!!

8. AULIZ

AULIZ

Finally get blower together (2nd time) and orig. Ford-94 carbs get also new bushings to the trottle shafts.

I had too "tight" front support bearings space and when mainrotor were going warmer and try to stretch, bearing was not slide front. I turn off 3/100mm and now all tolerances are ok and bearing is slide easily.

blower whistle nice when I was start engine on fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDgAeRav0K8&feature=youtu.be

Rgds,
    Aulis

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  9. B Lawrence

B Lawrence
    from Ham.

Beautiful roadster and Beautiful boy, great job on both....
    Brian...

10. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Men.
    Your right, some of sparkplugwires are too long and need to make some wiring installations after get all ready. For example now I have temporary Magneto "killing switch" in engineroom etc.

Rgds,
    Aulis

11. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hey,
    still have one problem. Magnetos coil (reel) is leak when its warm. Engine starts easily, magneto gives good spark low&high RPM when its cold but when its warm spark dissapear. I have changed all (wires inside, points, condenser), measured resistance primary and secondary circuit etc.

I borrow rebuilt coil from one hot rodder who did not need it (from same type R8101 harman collins) and my ex. mechanic promised open and respool my old one.

while need to make and fix wirings ready, get brakes ready and maybe after one week can take first test run,.... but good thing is that not have hurry and our summer has not been "too hot" now begining of June.

Aulis

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  12. AULIZ

AULIZ

Now I get new Reel from South-Finland and Magneto works exelent.
    I start engine first time 6V and works fine. Earlier spark was more weak and I used 12V to starter and other electrics (gauges, lights,..) 6V.

Good thing that I can leave 6V Battery and not need to make any changes for wiring system,....

new pictures after next weekend when I "walk" roadster on the road.

Rgds,AULIS

13. AULIZ

AULIZ

Finally I have got car ready for test drive.
    I drove some small rounds one block from my house.

Need to go wash it in my 2nd garage and take few kilometers run after that.

Yesterday I changed all valves. One Speedway china SS valve was broken and took all those shit out. Also Speedway Alternator bracket head studs were junk.
    Never get right torque, stretch and stretch,.... I took old BB Chevy head studs (arp) and solved that problem.

21 dec. fixed advance in harman collins and start very good with 6V battery.
    maybe lose low RPM torque but,..... works good, thats main thing.

Rgds,
    AULIS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  14. 510madmav

510madmav

Gorgeous roadster.

15. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Sir.
    60miles (approx 100km) test run countryside outside of the city.
    All works good. that is good "goal" for my 9month building.

Aulis

16. AULIZ

AULIZ

Roadster runs OK. I got small shipment from MAC´s (carb. gaskets, rebuilt stuff). Powervalve problem has been solved and seems that old 94´s are very easy to tune up.

Here in Finland (read= SOVIET FINLAND) cars registeration is something communistic,.... They think that all Hot Rod builders are try to broke a law and many inspectors try to say between to lines , "you are hot rodder, You are criminal,.."

I have old style hot rod and should not have any problems after I make those "nice" fenders,..... I hope so.

Wellcome to the jungle!

Aulis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  17. fonti

fonti

same here in Switzerland!!!

18. AULIZ

AULIZ

Hello,
    Switzerland, Finland and maybe we have some another counties where all exept new or original cars are not easy to get registered?!

Sweden they have many good posibilities to build hot rod, custom,...

Today I made front fenders ready. Still takes one day to make rear fenders brackets (hydraulic tube 12mm). Make all so that not damage paintjobs (backingplates, spindles,...).

Good thing is that after get registered I take fenders off and hope that not need to use those after this case.

Rgds,AULIS

Attached Files:

19. What do you do when your in So. Cal? That's a great looking car......Nice workmanship....

20. AULIZ

AULIZ

Thanks Mike.
    I want to leave roadster to CA. Dream is to drive some of next happenings:
    Salt lake races, Bakersfield marchmeet, GNRS, LA roadster show,.... I have visit many of those when I was living in Pomona and Culver city, but I want to use own Hot Rod. California Winter is very good and I have good reason to go there twice / winter to drive and get new experiences.

Maybe I sell roadster there if somebody interested and get OK deal,....

Rgds,AULIS

21. AULIZ

AULIZ

You´r right.

Aulis

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  22. AULIZ

AULIZ

Engine has been dyno.

Runs great.

Aulis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  23. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

So what numbers showed up on the dyno?

24. AULIZ

AULIZ

101,7hp (must be under 102hp due to our law,....) !!!

Rgds,
    AULIS

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  25. AULIZ

AULIZ

Flathead runs great and have to do some small "rebuildings" like rear shocks. I just opened and rebuilt them. Those were OK when installed but after some hundreds kilometers shocks were too "smooth" and rear axle was jumping,.... Front shocks I opened and rebuilt before installation.

Now rearshocks are very good. Yesterday I took testdrive over city, countryside.

Aulis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  26. AULIZ

AULIZ

Summer (wet summer) is gone. Maybe 5000km behind with Roadster and same with Coupe.

Now its good time to start to do some fixing jobs, small changes, maintenance etc. This winter most important thing is to get my sons Studebarker Bullet nose (´51) pedalcar ready for "race".

Aulis

nb. coming in to my hot rod shop Flathead >< 1932 Ford lower water hoses. Look "parts for sale".

Attached Files:

27. AULIZ

AULIZ

Some new pics took summer 2013.

4month = 12000km (7000miles).

Runs great. Little problems with magneto points, but finally I found right condenser and points are now OK.

Aulis

Attached Files: