Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '50 Ford Coupe Project and new parts car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by All_6s_and_7s, Jun 7, 2012.

1. All_6s_and_7s

All_6s_and_7s
    from Canada

Finally diving head first into my Coupe. I sat for a year before really doing any major tear down, but now I have a solid parts car to pull from.

I lucked out with this car, especially living in Northern Ontario. A guy had this car stored in his barn since the 1970's and had already set it up with a 302 and the driveshaft is still with the car. He had also changed the rear end to a early mustang diff. It was hard to believe that I got this car for a song and dance. I couldn't buy the patch panels for the front fenders for what I paid

[​IMG]
    There isn't the least bit of rot on those marker light bezels

[​IMG]
    One drunken night he was driving outside of Toronto and ended up on his side in a snowbank. so there is a lot of bondo in the doors and the roof has a wrinkle.

[​IMG]
    The trunk and floors are solid and the frame is nice. After a little Hamb Q&A found that the frame will happily fit under my Coupe

[​IMG]
    The interior is a little lack luster, but the basics are there the dash is actually nicer than the one in my car. Some early Mustang seats look like hell in there and not to mention the Mustang floor shifter.

[​IMG]
    My car looking a little smug after removing the fenders

[​IMG]
    These beauties were sitting in the back seat, that spinner was a welcome sight as my car was missing this piece, the owner had installed some early custom parts on the coupe.

[​IMG]
    The V center is what my car is or was sporting for the time being.

[​IMG]
    These parts are of to the sandblasters.

[​IMG]
    I've got the inner fenders off, they're really not holding on to much once the fenders were off, not to mention that I snapped off about 15 bolts in the removal of the front end.

More to follow soon hopefully...hopefully

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

Looking good, always glad to see another shoebox on it's way back to the road.

3. U-235

U-235

Man...do you know difficult it is to find those after-market/accessary grilles are...? some may think they're hokey, but if your building a mild/conservative custom or even a stocker, I'd keep them. You'll have guys all over your car wondering where you got them. I say keep them.

4. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

It's weird, I mean I would never put that on my shoebox but it's also really cool to find a authentic after-market accessory like that. Personally I'm actually thinking I might swap in a 51' gill on my 50', I just like the look of the 51'.

5. All_6s_and_7s

All_6s_and_7s
    from Canada

The biggest upset for me is that the owner of my coupe had bought the car like this, but somewhere down the road the grill teeth disappeared and no matter how much I hound the old owner, he says he doesn't have them. I would just like to have one so I can make a fiberglass blank. and redo them all on my grille which will be painted body colour when I get to that stage.

who ever did this car up in the early years had also put crestliner trim on the dash, had some crazy add on taillight fins and the rear bumper has these bolt on corners.
    [​IMG]

6. ytt49

ytt49
    from socal

looks like it going to be a fun build.
    good luck

7. All_6s_and_7s

All_6s_and_7s
    from Canada

[​IMG]
    started working on the car today. I got the glass out, and not 2 minutes later it started raining....nice. I was hoping to get the back glass out as well.

8. All_6s_and_7s

All_6s_and_7s
    from Canada

Inner fenders sent off to the sandblaster just waiting for them to come back and so I can do some bodywork and shine them up