Register now to get rid of these ads!

June 6th 1944 D Day ( Normandie France )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Jun 6, 2012.

1. When we lived in Normandie my parents took me and my sisters to view the cemeteries shown above.

Frenchy

2. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

My Dad served in WW2. I will always remember this day.
    Slim

3. Hellfish

Hellfish

The Chicago Tribune had a big article today, but it was more indirectly related. It was about geological research being conducted on the invasion site, and the microscopic shrapnal still present. Being an "off" anniversary (68, not 70 or 75 years) I'm impressed they ran anything at all.

We should not forget our WWII vets and their sacrifices, nor our Korean, Vietnam, OIF/OEF vets, and the vets from all the other skirmishes and unofficial wars our troops are involved in every day. I think sometimes those men and women are somewhat ignored over the Greatest Generation, and our current combat troops. They all count.

4. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

My Grandfather was there. He told me many of them cut out the parts of their dog tags that listed your home address and name of next of kin before the beach landing.
    [​IMG]

5. My uncle was there in '44. God bless them all!

6. Moose223

Moose223

When we sleep at night always remember the lives and suffering given by so many! Thanks and god bless!

Mainstream media again has tarnished these true heroes, I will never forget!

7. I will never forget them.

8. 1941coupe

1941coupe

in 1959 i worked with guy who was there ,i never thanked him for his service then,so weather your dead or alive i thank you bob malady for our freedom,

9. May God bless everyone of these Heroes who fought and died for the freedoms we all enjoy today.....May He hold all of them in His Hands.

10. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Many thanks to all our veterans,I do not know if any of these men that served on this day may ever read this but I fell obligated to thank them just the same.

http://www.army.mil/d-day/

11. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

My Dad, served in the European Theater and luckily made it home. Rest in peace Dad. You and all the other Greatest Generation and also the servicemen
    and servicewomen that would follow, God Bless You all, and THANKS!!!!!!

12. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I spent a lot of time fishing with my father in law (Pacific vet) and his buddy Barney who came ashore in the first wave on D-Day in a Duplex Drive "swimming" tank. He never discussed his military service until the 50th anniversary of D-Day, when he finally opened up the stories he told were amazing. I pray that the sacrifices those men made will never be forgotten...
    [​IMG]

Duplex Drive Tank - Wikipedia.com

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

God Bless all those guys from The Greatest Generation. That was one day did talk about a bit, guess they loaded up every bomb his B-17 base had and sent it over and came back for more.

14. Remembering my father, SFC Pershing Henry Wadsworth, who was among those who went ashore on D Day. Co. C 41st Infantry Second Armored Division. His brother, Sgt. Edward Allen Wadsworth, was in Airborne Infantry, parachuted in on D Day.

15. robber

robber

My Dad will be 88 years old and still with us (thank God). He went to war as a foot soldier when he was 18 and came home when he was 21. He has many stories of the battles, including D-Day. People think of these veterans as old men, but they were just young men, making sacrifices, doing what was asked of them... doing what was right! This story seems somewhat OT, but those guys and generations of men like them, are the reason we have the freedom to pursue our passion (cars). I just want to say that these guys make me proud, they get my respect, but most of all I just want to say, "Thank you!"

16. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

^^^^ Yes. Thank you.

[​IMG]

17. big creep

big creep

yes it was on my mind all day at work today. thank the few remanding who were there, and thank you from the bottom of my heart!

18. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

My dad made it back thank god he never talked about it! he passed a few years back god bless them all

19. My uncle (mom Rosie the riveter) only bro:
    PFC Wesley Harold Musser b 2/11/1926 KIA 03/15/1945 Germany, buried Epinal then re interred San Bruno Ca
    Just a kid.
    Wish I knew him.

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Muttley, I have not been to France but I have been at the American cemeteries in Belgium and they have the same markers. It's hard to stand there and not be over taken by it.

21. Next time you talk to your Father let him know I salute him with great respect for what he has done for all of us.

Merci Beaucoup

Jean - Louis Dehoux ( Frenchy )

22. robber

robber

Consider it done, Frenchy. Thank you!
    ...Robber

23. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

same here.

24. 73RR

73RR

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  25. paulie_boy13

paulie_boy13
    from NC

*68 years ago today the Greatest generation went and did what they had to do in Europe. Each and every one of those guys a hero. But there were also D-Days in the Pacific, many of them. Places the old timers don't talk about. Places who's names you find it hard to pronounce. Places like Pelelui, Guadalcanal, Kwajalein & Tarawa amongst others. Places where the lcVps got hung up on coral reefs while the bullets flew and there was no drinking water in the 115* heat. Places whose nicknames were "the 5 Brothers" & "Alligator creek".*

Today I honor ALL those guys (IN BOTH THEATERS, European and Pacific), from every beach head to every jump, from every sortie to every dive. ALL of them heroes!

*I encourage everyone to check out www.historyflight.com

And help bring the remains of over 78,000 MIA American servicemen who fought in WW2 home.

26. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

I was in Germany in 94' for the 50th anniversary. I've always said I want to go back now that I'm a little older and have spent 8 years in the Army myself as well as having a degree in history. I think it would be a powerful experience.

27. Hellfish

Hellfish

FYI - Yesterday marked the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Midway, another major, decisive battle of WWII where a lot of lives were lost. No mention here. The Chicago Tribune covered the Naval memorial here.

28. Torchie

Torchie

WWII is fast becoming a distant memory for many people. My father was there. 82nd Airborne. The All American Division.

29. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

The HAMB has the most response to D-DAY I have seen. The local paper did mention it but not as I would have expected. My father was in the Army on Guadalcanal, I have heard some of the things he had to go through, but he never talked about too much of it.

30. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

Not to be picky but it wasn't a U.S. war. 14,000 Canadians landed on Juno beach and sustained 1,000 casualties with 350 fatalities.
    It was a world war. Britain, Canada and the U.S. are to be thanked for the success of D-Day.