Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a 62 Chevy C10 pickup??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim G, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Tim G

Tim G

A good friend of mine has just bought a 62 Chevy C10 pickup and while it's on the way to the UK from the US he wanted to start collecting the parts to get it lowered when it gets here... i'm not even sure what brakes and suspension they run, i'm guessing it drums all round with coils springs up front and leaves at the back?

looking for a 4 or 5 inch drop i reckon, and advice on how best to do it and what parts we need and even some photos of some of you suspension set ups would be greatly appreciated

[​IMG]

Thanks

Tim.

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. Glen

Glen

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  3. squirrel

squirrel

heh....you'll have fun!

just turn the big bolts until it's on the ground. No suspension travel, but it'll be pretty low up front.

(torsion bars up front, coils out back)

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. Tim G

Tim G

found it thanks, oh i see you've added a link now anyway :)

Oh that's cool, can you get drop spindles for them to get a good ride aswell as being low?

5. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Yes, they sell drop spindles for torsion front end trucks. Early Classic Enterprises is the place to go.

With the drop spindles and a bit of tweaking of the torsion bar adjusters, you will be low and still ride fine.

In the rear, drop coil springs are available in 2,3,4,5 and 6 inch drops. Again, Early Classic Enterprises. They sell a nice full kit for the rear of the truck which includes some shock relocators and adjustable track bar too.

I've built a bunch of Chevy trucks and run these parts on all of them.

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. Tim G

Tim G

Thanks for that, i found there website. do they have drum brakes on the front?

7. Hooley

Hooley

I have a pu that looks like this one only its a 1964. This 64 has A-arms and coil springs up front. No torsion bars here. Did they make a change for 64? I too am wanting to lower it.
    Appricate the links and info.

Hooley

8. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

They made the change in 63 to coil springs.

Tim G, they all used drum brakes on all 4 corners until 1971 when discs arrived on the front.

9. Tim G

Tim G

10. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

That includes spindles. Notice you have a drop down menu on the bottom and it lists stock or lowered spindle options.

Trust me on this, call them and ask for Stan. He will treat you like family. Tell him Texas Firefighter from the truck board sent you. He will answer all your questions and clear up any concerns you might have.

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. Tim G

Tim G

Wow that's a bargain! i'll tell steve he needs to get a set of those ordered!

12. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I speak from experience, these kits are complete. You will need literally, a tub of wheel bearing grease and a bottle of brake fluid. Everything else is in the box, down to the last nuts, bolt, washer, and cotter key.

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. truckin bear

truckin bear

Thanks for all the help and info, and thanks Tim for doing the asking!

14. 40Tudor

40Tudor

If these are like the 67-72 trucks out back (and I think they might be), you can swap the rear coils for coils out of a car or El Camino of similar vintage to lower the back. Should ride nice but load capacity will be reduced. Air shocks could help if that's a concern.

15. Tim G

Tim G

Do you know how much those El Camino springs would lower it by?

And also another general question.... is it going to be 5 or 6 lug?

16. kustomd

kustomd

6lug from the factory untill the later disc brake front end.

17. nail-head

nail-head

Those stance photos on the earlyclassics site are awesome. I bought two sets of rear springs for my Riv before I got the stance right.