Register now to get rid of these ads!

RIP Carroll Shelby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ole_Red, May 11, 2012.

1. Moose223

Moose223

Thank you! God's Speed and than you for your chill the Shelby way!

2. deucemac

deucemac

I feel I need to post this story since both Shelby and my old friend that experienced this are now gone. My friend, Russ Pendley, worked his whole life for Noth American Aircraft/ Rockwell. As most of you know, Shelby rented hangers from North American on the south side of LAX at the height of his production. It was a slow time for the flight test crew and they were in the next hanger west of Shelby's operation. A few engineers decided to build a hovercraft out of scrap that was laying around and Russ and another mechanic got the assignment to do the build. They built it on the side of the hanger in full viw of people at Shelby's. As time went on ad it appered to be something other that a pile of pipes, Shelby would walk over at some time almost every day to check on the progress and kibitz some. finally the hovercraft was done and it came time to "fly" it. Some old newreels of it still exist. Naturally, Shelby's interest was piqued and after it flew a few times he asked Russ if he could ride in it some time. Russ said "Sure,if I can have a ride in one of those" pointing in the direction of a GT 40. Shelby said Okay and Russ gave him a short ridelong enough to enjoy but short enough that the powers that be didn't catch him. After the ride, Shelby said lets go and took for a ride in the GT40 around the taxi ways ( Shelby didn't bother to get tower approval) faster than russ thought possible. All the while Shelby is as relaxed as can be and explained what the car was doing. A very wobbly kneed, wide eyed , and pale white Russ got out of the car, thanked Shelby and walked weakly back to work.. He said all the rest of his life that it was the scariest and most fun thing he ever did all rolled into one. Whenever I hear of Carroll Shelby I thing of Russ and his adventure. Rest in peace gentlemen you are both missed.

3. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Great story! At the memorial car show they had guest speakers that knew Carroll personally and it was quite fun and entertaining. Especially when a corvette z06 went blairing down the road while one of the guest speakers was speaking and the guest speaker replied with "they sure make alot of noise but doesnt move very fast" the whole crowd laughed. It was a great memorial. Especially when over 300 cobras started up at the same time. That is a sound i will never forget.

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

4. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Here are pictures from the memorial car show.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a 66 GT350 that I worked on when I worked for the Mustang restoration shop a few years back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

5. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

6. Colville

Colville

R.I.P. Sir! I was TDY in Las Vegas and reccomend the Shelby museum there... neat stuff

7. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

More pics from the memorial show

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is a 67 tribute Shelby that I helped build. This car is one of the coolest restomod cloned shelby's out there. It is such a beautiful car. If I didnt say it was a clone you probably would have thought it was a real Shelby GT500
    [​IMG]

Here is the owner and his grandson, the future owner ;)

[​IMG]

Ooh lookie a hamb friendly car. Lol it is a 1955 Chrysler 300. not sure why it was here but it was very well done.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  8. He NEVER said that. If you watch the interview he did with Dave Despain not too long ago, you will hear Carroll tell the story that he never said that - it isn't his quote!

9. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

10. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

11. Finsinthemirror

Finsinthemirror

Some of the BEST fun I've ever had on the streets and autoX were in the numbered Shelby Dodge turbo cars. My hat is off to the old boy. R.I.P. pal, thanks for the good times.