Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheels clash? Should they stay or should they go?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Byron Crump, Jun 5, 2012.

1. n847

n847

2. "Wheels clash? Should they stay or should they go?"

If they stay there will be trouble, but if they go it will be double
    So come on and let me know, should they stay or should they go.

Sorry, seemed like a natural answer

falcongeorge likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to agree with those who say that the wheels and tires dominate the car just a bit. You see the wheels and tires before you see the whole car as it sits. On the coupe on the other hand your eyes see the whole car as one package then you look at the individual items.

I've got to agree with the go to simpler dash nobs a different steering wheel and loose the skull shift nob. they just make what is otherwise a really clean interior too busy.

4. Muttley

Muttley

Either get rid of the caps entirely or paint the wheels and reinstall them.

5. froghawk

froghawk

I'm pretty much in agreement with Ebert here, except that I really like the purple; seems real mid-late '50s to me. Another suggestion for the steering wheel would be '56-'59 Ford in white.

Love the 5w, too. Wonder what it'd look like with narrow wws or blue streaks...

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Wow. I wish I had such a nice pair of cars to worry about! I think the roadster looks great, but since you asked, I'd lose the caps, add spiders and chrome lug nuts, keep the chrome wheels but go to smaller tires up front. I happen to like motorcycle tires on the front of a roadster, but I'm wierd...

7. swissmike

swissmike

Gotta agree with Ebert.
    I like the white on the tires and the top together with the purple, which I usually don't like that much, for a killer late 50's style hot rod. definitely loose the steering wheel and knobs and exhaust hangers.

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Another thought is that if you like your car but are itching to do something to it, sometimes that means its time to build another car.

9. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Looks good as is..

10. Two super hot rods you have there! ..Remind me of the sort of stuff we built from our 1/25 scale models - bright colours, lotsa chrome and white trim. :)

If you are trying to "tweak" the look by messing with the wheels, here are my thoughts: Put the tires from the coupe on the roadster's wheels (without the caps) and put a similar sized set of blackwalls on the coupe's mags. :eek:

[​IMG]

-Dave

11. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

I love the roadster the way it is, because it's different. There are enough Black 32 roadsters with steel wheels out there. The only thing that I think that my help is maybe some larger wheels on the back. As for the coupe you may try adding hood sides.

12. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Nice job on the photoshop. I like the roadster without hubcaps, the rubber rake looks better too. Being a Mopar guy, I really dig the Plum Crazy color...

13. I think both cars look great as they sit. I like the purple paint too.

Tony

14. blue57ford

blue57ford

I dig the purple. I like the car. I agree with those that say to tone it down. Abit. Not alot.

15. Goodlife

Goodlife

I think my mind is " conflicted " after reading all the suggestions. The black walls on the copper car seemed to be a better match from my perspective.

16. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I wouldn't change a single thing on the roadster...it's perfect!

17. hudson_hawk

hudson_hawk

Just give me the car and I will figure it out and you can come visit whenever you want

18. chubbie

chubbie

sooo, people realy do give you shit about this car?? my next thought. I'd tell them to kiss my ass!!!! so some would paint it brown, or a 2-tone then some one would walk up and say..it looks like a giant turd, or did Foose paint it???

what do you want? the car is great!

19. Dirk35

Dirk35

You are asking for opinions here..........

That car looks awesome. If you like the color, then you should rock it proudly.

I DO see why you are asking about the wheels. To me the chrome rim and chrome cap looks .....well different. Usually you see a color on the rim when it has a chrome cap, or you see a chrome steelie with no caps. Having said that, if it were mine, I'd paint/powdercoat the center of the rim, leaving the hoop of the rim chrome and then put the caps on. I think that would break up the look of that rim and bring the rims to the car....so to speak. As far as color..... just about any neurtal color would work well, even black, or blue or red (since that is what makes purple). But not green or yellow or brown.

Im also not crazy about how far the caps stick out.

20. 296ardun

296ardun

The roadster looks great as is...maybe just me, but I never liked Radir wheels...otherwise, the coupe looks great too....the chrome wheels/whitewalls on the roadster just make it stand out...

21. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I think it looks great how it is. Maybe just paint the wheels the color of the roof if you have to. I like the wide whites...

22. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

my thoughts exactly................

23. primed34

primed34

I like the purple. Lose the wide whites.

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Somebody could really do a brother a favor by Photoshopping out the cars in the background of that parking lot shot.

25. afaulk

afaulk

The car looks good as is. No matter what you do, somebody won't like it. Who cares? Modify it to suit yourself.

26. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Here’s the thing IMO …. Yes your build is very conflicted

1. A fender less roadster says …. Im a hot rod !!!! (especially w no hood)
    2. A sbc w six carbs says …. Im an early 60’s hot rod and a bad ass.
    Then
    3. WW’s says im a cruiser / lover not a fighter
    4. The white top belongs on a merc. along with all the cool but worthless to speed doodads.

Id
    1. Blackwalls (possibly cheaters) baby moons on them rims.
    2. Smaller black fronts
    3.Ram horns or headers
    4. Bell 4 spoke wheel
    5. Take off the top tell I got a black one
    6. Possibly lower and move the headlights forward

Basically what im saying is
    Make it look like a up dated 50’s car
    because that’s basically what’s there except there’s still some 50’s stuff that would have been gone.

27. Squablow

Squablow

Sometimes some input from outside sources, suggestions and a bit of photoshoppery can really help get the details right, so I say good on you for asking for honest opinions.

That would be my plan. Really surprised how many people are clamoring for mag wheels and blackwall tires. The Radirs look good on that coupe but I don't think they'd work on the roadster. Plus, new reproduction mag wheels and blackwall tires (radials even crept in there) start to border on the street rod look. Yuck.

28. im really diggin it the way it is now. i would just drive and enjoy.. but its yours so have fun and do what you want.

29. draggler

draggler

Reverse opposite side the whitewalls on the roadie for a cost of dismount and remount and balance of the tires approach! Cheaper then new tires .Or
    swap wheels between the cars on the right side roll 1 at a time outside and see how you feel,maybe somewhere in the middle you'll find what your looking for !

30. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i know this is an old thread but i'd like to see what changes were made to this roadster. i liked the idea of chrome steelies with no caps and big and little WWW tires look for this car myself . interested to see what it looks like now!!