Register now to get rid of these ads!

June 6th 1944 D Day ( Normandie France )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy Dehoux, Jun 6, 2012.

1. It was 68 years ago today the invasion of Normandie D Day June 6th 1944. Thank You to all who have served and given their lives so we could have FREEDOM. My father was a Belgium citizen and served at that time. I have a Belgium and Canadian citizenship but soon will be American !!!!!!

THANK YOU !!!!!!!

Jean-Louis Dehoux ( Frenchy )

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. Not many WWII vets still with us. But yes thanks for your service to those who are still around.

3. oj

oj

D Day. How i wish those guys where with us now.

4. Yes! The outcome was uncertain and freedom held it's breath that day. I'm not a religious person really but may God bless that great and humble generation for saving the world, and may God give us the fortitude and sense of honor and duty that they had, should we ever need to do it again. June 6, 1944 was my parents 2nd wedding anniversary. It's also my wedding anniversary - in honor of my parents, their generation and D-Day.

Today I will be remembering all who stormed the beaches of Omaha, Utah, Sword, Juno and Gold, and all of those at home and abroad who supported them.

5. Not to get off topic too much but, I am somewhat of a history buff (i guess most of us here like history to some point) and I am so proud of what the US did back then.
    I have a colection of WWII guns and I just wonder how many of the kids that play the video games of WWII realy know what it is like to fire a weapon like was used back then. or fly so high that they got frost bite before they got to the bomb site. We all owe so much.

6. I just looked at the Washington Post and not a word about it. what do you expect?

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Today is surely the one day you can knock off all the stupid anti-French jokes. We have a lot of sacrificed souls still there. WWII was horrible. But remember, too, it was the last war we actually WON! Gary

8. True Blue

True Blue

Utah, Omaha, Gold, Juno, Sword - names all American school children should learn.

9. True Blue

True Blue

People soon forget that the French were instrumental in gaining our independence from England.

10. Roadagent2

Roadagent2

I remember them every day....my dad was one that made it home!

11. Weasel

Weasel

My family are of a military background and my uncle was Chairman of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission for many years - www.cwgc.org - which is the orgsnozation responsible for the oversight and upkeep of all nationality war cemeteries in what was the 'European Theatre'. Many of these are in Normandy and other parts of Northern France where many American casualties are buried.

As a kid I remember watching the movie 'The Longest Day' which really brought home to me the magnitude of what was accomplished this day 68 years ago....

<cite class="kv">www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqFn_pM5QxU</cite>

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

My grandfather (Frank Fisher) landed at Normandy on D-Day, and survived. He saw some pretty brutal stuff, but he never would talk about it... only the funny stories.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Hellfish

Hellfish

I should add that when he returned, he pretty much had his pick of women out there, but he met a divorced mother with 2 kids... married her... and stayed married to her until they both died (about a year apart) a couple of years ago when they were almost 90 years old. Committment. Honor.

14. birdman42

birdman42

They were talkinb about it on a regional radio show today and one of the interns had never heard about D-Day.If you don't know your history we are doomed to repeat it.

15. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Both of my granddads were in the Navy and never would talk about the war either.

I don't suppose there were a ton of happy memories associated with it.

16. To think of what they went through 68 years ago is unreal !!! The Great Generation for sure. The sacrifices they gave for the sake of Country and Freedom are often taken for granted and would be met with lots of demonstrating and political BS by many of the citizens of this Country today. God Bless all of those that gave themselves so we could remain the Greatest Nation in the World !!!

17. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Thanks to the greatest generation!! and all who have served!

18. mlagusis

mlagusis

[QUOTE
    I should add that when he returned, he pretty much had his pick of women out there, but he met a divorced mother with 2 kids... married her... and stayed married to her until they both died (about a year apart) a couple of years ago when they were almost 90 years old. Committment. Honor.
    ][/QUOTE]

Committment and Honor indeed. There is something about the WW2 generation that saw finishing strong a high priority. Our culture can sure use just a taste of that today.

19. kombi66

kombi66
    from stockto ca

there are 2 kinds of soldiers.... one has some some hairy shit and doesnt wanna talk about it, the other dint see anything and wants to tell you all about what he DID

and thank you all of you old timers who fought for us

20. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Nothing regarding it on the radio here this morning, and I doubt very much it will get coverage in the papers, but we remember them!!

[​IMG]

21. I'm sort of annoyed (though not a bit surprised) that it's 2:50 Eastern Daylight Time and the FIRST MENTION I am hearing of the Anniversary of D-Day is on the HAMB.
    I figured someone on the radio would have at least metnioned something.

edit:
    Wow...Old Soul...we must have been typing this at the same time.

22. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

Come to think of it it wasnt headline on any main stream media web page (other than the HAMB) that I saw either. Those guys protected our freedoms and gave us cool hot rods.

23. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

God bless all who stormed the beaches, parachuted from the skies, and flew countless missions on that day. I am sad to know there was no mention on the radio stations or television when I woke up this morning, and still have heard no mention of it, except here on the HAMB. We must always remember and thank those brave souls every day for what we have.

24. George

George

25. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Was mentined on a local radio station here in Vancouver. Reminded my students and had a short discussion. Many of those brave individuals were only a few years older than my students. "Less We Forget".

26. My Dad went ashore at Omaha beach on D Day as a combat engineer, T/O division!!!! R.I.P. Pop..12-5 1990.

27. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

As a former Army paratrooper this day is a great day to remember the courage of all the airborne troops who paved the way for the rest of the D-Day invasion.

28. alchemy

alchemy

It's front page news in the Des Moines Register today. They interviewed quite a few Iowans who were there that day. One of them was a feature on my 10th grade math teacher. I never new he served in the Army, let alone landed on that beach.

29. Muttley

Muttley

I'd love to go there someday to pay my respects.

[​IMG]

30. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

I am sure our President is there today to HONOR OUR TROOPS.