Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pertronix - convert from Positive ground to negative?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poncho55, Jun 5, 2012.

1. poncho55

poncho55

Hi, I have changed my generator over to a 100 amp alternator as I was sick of the smell of the smouldering regulator. The problem that I have now is that the car needed to be converted to negative ground (done), but now the Pertronix Ignitor that was in the distributor is not throwing any spark. I checked the connections and I thought that I could just change the connections. Before I just did that and faced frying something, I threw a note over to the good people at Pertronix and they mentioned that I need another kit with Negative ground set up. I would rather not have something else sitting on the shelf that I can't use (original unit) - anyone done this same conversion and then used the same Pertronix kit that was for a positive ground?

Help!!

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I can't speak for your exact car , but on the cars I restore (vintage british tin) it uses a completely different Pertronix unit for positive and negative earth - even gets wired completely different .

3. poncho55

poncho55

Thanks Buddy, that is kind of what I was afraid of! Will try and get a new one fast.

4. Yes, the negative ground and positive ground Ignitor's are different. And hooking up the old positive ground one to a negative ground system undoubtedly smoked it.
    Don from PerTronix.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Would really be nice to know what vehicle had the generator!:eek: