Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 chev wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lexington, Jun 5, 2012.

1. lexington

lexington

I am looking for a good quality fuse box for a 56 chev.The car has had a wiring kit installed at sometime(dont know the history) but the fuse box is very cheaply made and keeps having fuse holder problems(glass tube fuses).The terminals get loose then arc and melt the fuse block.I am looking for a good quality replacement box with preferably screw on wire connections and 8-10 fuses. All the replacments I have seen are cheap plastic units much like the one already in the car. I only want to replace this once so I thought maybe someone might know of a good place to get a higher quality one. Thanks

2. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

What about using a good original fuse box?

3. servi53

servi53

aww hell, my 56 pickup doesn't even have one

4. F&J

F&J

I agree that would be exc quality, but because that car had a harness swap, he won't have any way to hook up to a stock chevy one, unless he used a bucnh of butt connectors.

I am looking for something decent myself...and yes I know years ago having seen loose terminals on aftermarket fuseboxes. I suppose I might try Ron Francis or Rhode Island Wire? I don't know yet.

5. lexington

lexington

F&j is right I can't use an original because of the harness swap or I would certainly put an original one in. The car is already modified so keeping it original isnt a consideration either.

6. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Speedway has an 8-gang glass fuse panel for cheap, Napa has a 6-gang

7. robertsregal

robertsregal

take a look at rebel wiring,alliance vender,good rewiews

8. lexington

lexington

Thanks for all the input.Found what I needed at Speedway Motors.I think the brand name was Painless also found some good looking ones at Centech.

9. badshifter

badshifter

There are only like 4-5 fuses right? I'd solder some in line fuse holders to the existing fuse holders and call it done!

10. lexington

lexington

The car was wired with 8 fuses because of extra accessories, electric fan,fuel pump, a/c etc so the extra circuits are needed but thanks for an option I hadn't considered even though I have a 52 Olds and they didn't even come out with a fuse box.

11. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

If by screw on connections, I hope you do not mean what is used in house hold wiring. Those are fine in your house since it doesn't go over bumps or get any kind of vibration from a running engine. If you mean a terminal strip, my apologies.

Otherwise, my vote is for Kwikwire.

12. You can go to pick ur part and take a 7/16 combo wrench and a set of dykes and take one off of a 80's chrysler for about 10-15 bucks............
    wired many a car up with these!

13. lexington

lexington

Thanks for all the answers guys. I have purchased and installed a fusebox that was exactly what I had in mind. Car is back on the road and all is good.