Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who know's about chevy 327's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nutajunka, Jun 5, 2012.

1. nutajunka

nutajunka

I posted a few pics a few days ago about a 327 I picked up and got alot of good answer's, so I dug a little deeper today and found it has a solid cam, domed pistons, and duble hump 462's with 1.94's, steel shim head gasket and no pad I.D. I know it's a 1967 by the casting and the date code. These piston's kind of thru me and the solid cam with 1.94 heads and the factory pad being blank. I worked at machine shops and know what a block looks like after it has been cut, but this looks original....:confused:

Attached Files:

2. I probably shouldn't say this but I have rubbed numbers off of one before. :eek:

I haven't heard of GM seelling one sans numbers, doesn't mean it never happened I just haven't heard of it.

3. nutajunka

nutajunka

I know it just seems weird. Like the other day when you said that I might find more than what I expected once I got inside. Heads even date code with the block. Maybe a dealer replacement bought from the counter with no I.D.?.......:confused:

4. I wish I had a legit answer for that one. I have just never seen one without numbers or better said that didn't come with numbers.

I am going to guess that it is in the 11.5:1 range though if that makes you happy. :D I haven't had one apart in a long time but those piston tops resemble factory L-79 piston tops as I remember them. Although L-79 were hydraulic cammed motors.

Deuces likes this.

5. nutajunka

nutajunka

Well with pump gas being what it is any iron head with 11:1 piston's won't be to happy. They look like L-79's to me also. If only engine's could talk. The weird thing is I got this off a lawn mower repair man that got it out of a garage where the past residents raced vette's so who knows?

6. jchav62

jchav62

The L76 (375 hp) 327s had a "30-30" solid lifter cam, but I believe those one's had 2.02 heads?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    Deuces likes this.
  7. Just chuck those pistons up in a lathe and shave 'em a little if you get it down to 10 or so and run it a little fat you can drive it on pump gas just fine.

Don't put real think gaskets on it you will only screw up your quench and it will ping just as bad.

Deuces likes this.
  8. cavman

cavman

L79 350 Hp, or L84 375 Hp, would have a huge balancer also, with 2.02's. It could possibly be a later ('67) L79, they were rated at 325 HP. I don't recall if there was a 'Vette 365 HP in '67 or not anymore, there was in '65.

http://www.enginefactory.com/corvette_history.htm

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
    Deuces likes this.
  9. Possibly milled off in a decking? That's the only think I can think off... of course the CR is a crap shoot at this point in time.

Bob

10. Takes lots of calculation even when you are building one from scratch.

Maybe when it is opened all the way up it will have 6.125 rods then we can mark it off as a real race mill. :)

Deuces likes this.
  11. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

I don't think those pistons are GM, look at the bottom of the piston, if they are cast, they aren't GM if they have a G M marking on the bottom of the piston the motor may be a replacement over the counter short block. Gm always used Forged on the 11:1 motors

12. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I would guess a re manufactured but those pop ups are throwing me. The blue paint on the back side also.

13. Larry T

Larry T

The piston is built like a factory 11/1 (350/365/375 horsepower) 327s. But those engines had factory 2.02/1.60 heads. Also, I'm pretty sure they dropped the solid lifter version engines (365/375) in 1965 or maybe 1966. They were replaced with bigblocks. So, it kinda looks like you have a bita engine (little bita this, a little bit of that). I also noticed in your original post that the engine had the standard ramshorn manifolds, not the high performance 2 1/2" outlet ram horns that would have come on a 11/1 engine.

If I was gonna try to kill the compression a little, I would go to the later, larger chamber heads.

14. squirrel

squirrel

Looks like a rebuilt hot rodded engine. Cast pop up pistons...that's something that was done more in the old days. Also it's hard to tell from the picture if the block has the original broaching on the deck surface. usually milled decks have a round cut finish, but some shops use a belt sander to resurface heads, they could probably stick a block on there if they wanted?

15. slowmotion

slowmotion

My guess is it's been decked. Even replacement blocks would most likely have an ID#, usually CExxxx? If someone blanked the #'s off (Beaner!), usually a tell-tale 'shelf' would be present with the heads removed. Also think it's builder, solid cam, 1.94s, thin damper, domed slugs...dunno. Interesting piece though, freshin' it up & have fun! :D

16. krooser

krooser

I worked for two Chevy dealer during '67-'68. I recall that replacement warranty engines did not come with ID numbers and the mechanic would hand stamp the vehicle ID into the pad.

My Dad's '67 396 Super Sport locked up at 48k and the guy who replaced the engine under warranty got out his stamps and marked the block...

17. nutajunka

nutajunka

Thanks for all the replies. Lot's of good info. I will be pulling the pan tomorrow to see if any number's appear on the crank, rods, pistons, or cam. That blue paint threw me also at first, thinking someone put the extra's on a late model sbc till I saw the casting number and date stamp. If the bottom checks out I think I could get away with alittle freshing up and go.

18. Krooser is right when I use to buy Blocks from the
    dealer SR Blocks were Not Stamped you had to Stamp
    them
    also when I built a Engine I would Stamp it on the
    bottom of the Engine
    so when the Pan was pulled you would see it ( My Name )
    just my 3.5 cents

19. Balls Out Garage

Balls Out Garage
    from Arkansas

Judging by the pistons, valve diameter, damper size, clean pad, and especially the blue paint, I believe that your 327 originally came in a Chris Craft. I have 2 CC 327s stored in the shop right now that are identical.

20. I believe the above post to be correct. Is the block casting number 3782870?

These engines were called the 327F. They originally had 210 H.P. 327 cubic inch and installed by Chris Craft.

I also agree over the years some parts/internals have been replaced with some period hot rod goodies.

You definately want to check the align hone/main housing bores when tearing apart and inspecting. 2 bolt main blocks used in Powerboating will have experienced and suffered some very stressful and abusive operating conditions.

TR

21. BTW, cleaning the carbon carefully from one of the piston domes MIGHT yield a part number or other identifieing sign to thier origin. Don't use a wire brush LOL.

By all means with this engine especially, if your rebuilding her remove ALL core and galley plugs and cam bearings before cleaning/hot tanking. Should be standard practice anyway.

TR

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Never actually seen it first hand, but I have heard that an over the counter replacement block would normally not be stamped.

23. Hello George, how have you been old friend? TR

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh, and if it hasn't been decked and the heads arent cut, it'll be more like 10/1-10.2/1.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

BUSY!! My wife and I bought a salon for her, holy crap, I havent had a day of peace and quiet since! Hows yourself? Hows the "real life" issue going?

DDDenny likes this.
  26. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

How far down the hole is the piston when at top dead center? Arent they usually about .022 from the factory if not decked

27. Life is grand......................divorce is $100 grand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Final trial date is going to be in July, thank you for asking.

Best of luck with the salon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

IIIEEEEE!!! :eek::eek: I dont think I'll ever have to go through that...She'll just kill me in my sleep and bury me in the back-yard...
    The salon is already going good, but it takes a long time of going good to cover what we have spent setting it up. :eek:;)But it'll be worth it in the long run. You know, on second thought, maybe not. It would have bought me a nice henry-stamped deuce roadster body.

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

In my brief 'Chevy interest days', we purchased three 327 short blocks over the counter in Feb.-March of 1962. None were numbered.

My partner Sneaky purchased two 365 HP long blocks in 1965, no numbers either.
    Courtesy Chevrolet, San Jose.

P.S.: Sorry to hear of your split, T.R. I've been thru that twice!

30. nutajunka

nutajunka