Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. hopkins1

hopkins1
    from bedford pa

BZNEIL,I have not yet mastered the photo side of this thing. The frame is Watson/Trevis style with the top tube out to allow a SBC to fit. It has a Watson nose and tail. The frame is 4130 and Rons welding is the best. Will try to get photos up soon.

2. gninc

gninc

Waitin' out the rain

Attached Files:

3. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I've always felt that there are few things as depressing as a race track, any race track, in the rain.

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

ANOTHER ASSIGNMANT FOR YOU FELLA'S!!

I am looking for ENGINE shots showing ANY details of the 220 c.i. Engine that was in Bob Sweikerts Yellow D-A lubricants #1 Sprint car.

This is the only one I have at this time showing the Engine.

(any facts, #'s, or tid bits about the engine would help too..)

Thanks,

J Shaw

Attached Files:

5. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Records indicate that Sweikert bought a new 220 from Meyer and Drake in Feb 1954, serial #166..... likely the engine in the photo.
    mac miller in INDY

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Excellent.. Where did you get those records. My Offy book shows the #166 engine being sold (1 of 2 220 sprint car engines) in 1954.. But does NOT say who too..

Which book are you seeing that. I'll go grab it out of our library.

(p.s. I pulled that engine out of a barn yesterday evening.. It's in pieces, but going to be re-assembled and fired. ;))

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

8. tractorguy

tractorguy

Rootie......thanks for the great shots of the open wheelers at Pikes Peak. I feel very lucky to have enjoyed Pikes Peak in the 1980's and early 1990's when it was gravel/dirt. I still have somewhere some great shots that I took as I "hid" safely in a culvert under the road on one turn. I got REAL close to the action. It breaks my heart to hear that it will soon be totally paved.

9. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

This is the 1948 (Lou) Moore/Offenhauser, built as a dirt track car for Bill Holland that year. Didn't run much, but was 3rd at Indy in 1949 with George Connor up. Holland took a 4th at Lakewood Speedway/Atlanta later that year, plus a couple of 9ths at Milwaukee in '48 and '49, and then Connor was 8th at Indy in 1950. Car was sold to Charlie Marant right after the latter event, but didn't do very well despite drivers like Sam Hanks and Wally Campbell.

Bob Christie bought it at Indy in '54, but couldn't qualify, and subsequently brought the car to the Pacific Northwest where Rolla Vollstedt acquired it. Ran a few years in West Coast events, not very successfully - Len Sutton, Ernie Koch, Shorty Templeman and possibly Vern Chamberlain driving. Last note I have is from 1960, "Golden State 100" at the Sacramento State Fairgrounds, Don Davis/Tommy Copp - DNS, too slow.

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

You're welcome, had some good times up there myself, especially back in the 70s when the Mears gang and those other crazy Californians came to town. Party--race--party--race.....repeat. :D

11. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

How detailed do you want it? :D

I have about sixty-plus individual race entries for Bobzien, 1922 - '34. Listed hometown mostly Marengo in Iowa, but also Blairstown and later Cedar Rapids. Lived in Venice (CA) during the winter racing seasons in the late twenties. Held track records at Marengo, Frontier Park in Cedar Rapids (later Hawkeye Downs) and Ord (NE), probably many more.

Won main events at Keokuk (IA) Sep 4/1922, Anamosa (IA) May 30/1925, Davenport (IA) Sep 7/1925, Frontier Park (IA) Oct 9/1926, Ascot (CA) Apr 24 & May 1/1927 and Speedbowl Park in Sterling (IL) Jul 29/1928 - again, probably many more. Most of these events were unsanctioned, "run what ya brung" events, against the likes of Gus Schrader, Johnny Gerber, Wilson Pingrey, Sam Hoffman, Speed Adams or Glenn Hiett, to name just a few.

Went to California first time in the winter of 1926/7, racing against Lou Moore, Mel Kenealy, Ed Winfield, Ernie Triplett, Francis Quinn etc. Picked up a supercharged 151 CID Miller Marine engine while there (he was running a Fronty before that), possibly the first one to use such an engine in dirt track competition.

Entered a AAA 100-lapper at Ascot in February 1928, but lost a wheel and had to retire in the closing stages, then joined AAA full time in 1930 for the Pacific Coast Championship where he was an also-ran (47th in points that year). Faded from the scene during the early thirties.

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Thanks Rootie!!

I'll take more if anyone has them.

Thanks,

J Shaw

13. supermod

supermod

Went to this race also. Sanctioned by the CRA with ARA cars also competing. You could park on the back straight outside the track just feet away from the action. It was also extremely hot that day. Not sure about the ARA reference; that group predated NARC.

14. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Here's what appears to be the results for that event. It shows Ernie Koch as the overall winner.

http://www.ultimateracinghistory.com/race.php?raceid=5138

15. Been a little while since I posted some updates on my street sprint,but it is moving on.The steering gave me a few sleepless nights,but thats almost finished.I had to mod the steering arm to fit my 'English' box,but I am pleased with the result.Got the micro altenator mounted today,its so small I don't have to cut the hood side..result.Oh don't know how the cardboard steering arm or broomstick pitman arm will hold up? The light was fading,but its nice to see her out..............

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  16. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Great progress Compadre!

Was hoping you'd have her outside in time for the Jubilee!

17. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

You are rocking that thing out BlackVette! Looking great!

18. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Looks killer Blackvette!!

-------------------------------

Well, Indy came and went.. and the "Rush" marches on..

Here is what has been depriving me of sleep the last few weeks.

270 Zakira's Jim is Assembling for the BAD ASS Bonnieville car Mac Miller is building for Bill Wendt and crew..

My 220 getting new cams, and a few other fine tuning bits.

as I type this the 270 is running on the Dyno. Just did a 4500 rpm pull.. :p

(I know that's cruel to do that to ya'll without video or sound.. I'll see what I can do about that!)

--------------------------------

Here are some work pics to make you smile..

also: In between all the Zakira's work, I managed to finally get around to building a rack for my Vintage Tires.. Only problem is, it's ALREADY FULL!! and I got lots more left still. So, gotta build another. :D

-----

Attached Files:

19. Thanks for the kind comments guys....you know how much this site means to me,and thanks yet again for your encouragement.....I wonder if Josh could make a fiberglass copy of that OFFY so I wouldnt have to try so hard to disguise my Duratec......:)

Oh Josh ....thats not work....that looks like Heaven

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Nowdays they throw the yellow if somebody farts :)

Attached Files:

21. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

packing up stuff for a long-distance move.. Have these last three four-banger aluminum-finned, side plate versions. Gemsa sold them to my Dad back in the 70's when we were doing a lot of vintage sprint restorations. We used these for casting patterns (so did Joe Gemsa, as you can see by the one with the holes temporarily filled with foundry clay for sand-casting new ones. And I am also showing-middle shot- what our fresh cast Gemsa one looks like, though I have none left, other than this pattern one) Fourth image is new generic one, and fith is the short version pattern for use without an overhead..We sold a whole slew of them back in the day. Used to have the foundry cast them as a filler job for them, when they had some open time..Hate packing stuff. Anyone need all three? I'm assuming the interest in them is constantly improving.
    Probably going to have to let go of one more race car to make the move. My Older son is coming to pick-up (probably?) two of the flat-tail sprint cars. Probably will let the orange McQuinn outboard midget go, but having trouble deciding.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

23. Thank you Josh.......that was too much........I can't believe how smooth that motor runs....

24. slobitz

slobitz
    from drums, pa

Sweikert car as crashed and as it is today. Brett Mowery former ARDC champ driving.

Attached Files:

25. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Josh ,thanks for the You tube ,certainly starts the day off well and gets Offy juices back pumping.
    The other engine in your shots has a beautiful set of Big Rileys on it.
    I am just cleaning mine up to fit.
    Do you know any one who might have a selection of jets ??
    The little ones with the intenal hex .
    I am having trouble drilling .009"-.014" holes in hardened grub screws and my spark eroding guy isnt too keen to make up electrodes that small.
    Does anyone alse have a supplier??
    Please e-mail me or PM if you can help.
    By the way , a set of rack and pinion Rileys just sold on e-bay---
    These are the ones with the cam driven rack and pinion that automatically raises the float level as you accelerate.
    My set of these also needs jets.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    cheers Greg in Oz

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Well, your in luck. I have'nt officially announced it on here yet, but I will when it is all finalized.

Jim and I here at Zakira's have went in partners and we are about 40% through the process of REPRODUCING 2" and 1.5" Riley carberators!

We are doing the 2" first. We have had ALL our patterns made, and are awaiting arrival of our first batch of castings any day! We already have IN-STOCK the round Brass Floats and most of the Linkage arms.

The Jets we have found are an EXACT match to Stromberg 97's!!!!

We have a LARGE selection of them, but you may be able to get them locally. For the ones in the picture you saw (My 220).. those are set up for Methanol and the jets had to be drilled out to .120!!! That's HUGE!!

Either way, to answer your question, YES we have what you need. I also advise you find and buy the "GEORGE RILEY RACING SCRAPBOOK" It is very informative on settings, and "Tricks" to get your RILEY'S working at the best.

J Shaw

27. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Oh Josh , yes I do have the George Riley book and am well aware of all the intracies of these beautiful carburettors.
    If you need any dimensions from an original set I would be only too pleased to measure things for you.
    I have three sets
    1 1/2" early small bowl with no intermediate jets,
    1 1/2" mid term big bowls with idle ,inter and main adjust,
    And 1 1/2" big bowl rack and pinion jobs with cam drive and idle inter and main
    Lat me know , Cheers Greg
    Cheers Greg

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Sacto,65 and a couple of "rookies." Al Unser in his first upright FE dirt Champ car ride and Dick Atkins in his ever Champ car start. Both in well used Kuzma springers. Al struggled and finished several laps down and Atkins spun and finished behind Al. The following year Atkins went on to win the deal in Aggies #98, shortly before being killed at Ascot. 3 years later and Al wins in the, then, 'state of the art' V/P machine.

Attached Files:

29. rpr10ak

rpr10ak
    from Alaska

Your shop is awesome. If my dad were still alive he would have loved to hang out there. Shoot, he would never leave!

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The new HOT ROD came today with a little ditty on Bill. I just love his white over red 32 sedan and often see him at Zephyrhills going in circles in the dirt. Gary