Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rancho Deluxe '32 pick up shop truck build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowsquire, Jun 4, 2012.

1. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

hello all,

I wanted to start a thread on a project that has been rattling around for about five years in my head, and has had a few fitful starts and stops, but thanks to a bulk buy of 32 parts from a great bloke an hour or so north of me, I can now put together a frame, to go under the body I have been saving for a shop truck for a long time. I nearly sold it a few times, and actually stole the chassis to put under my roadster, but now I'll have a truck to drive and signwrite it up to promote my little shop.
    The Body was a 1932 Oregon forest services Truck (probably a big truck) and all the other panels are bits from here and there, I finally got the elusive 32 rear pickup fenders this year, so the sheetmetal is all there for a full fendered truck, the running boards are the only non 32 part, they re 33-34,I'll have to chop them down a little.
    heres an old shot of the body, its actually packed away at the moment, as space is tight in my shop, but once the chassis is rolling I will bring it in piece by piece, do the required body work and bolt it onto the rolling frame.

[​IMG]

Some specs for the chassis..
    genuine australian delivered 32 frame
    Raised front and rear crossmembers
    undropped heavy axle
    lincoln repro brakes all round
    32 banjo converted to push in axles
    15x3.5 and 16x4.5 early solids
    excelsior racing comp Vs(bias ply type)
    rear chassis K member legs and front chassis doublers to stiffen chassis
    39 Merc 3speed, rebuilt
    32 steering, and spindles converted to large brake pattern
    The engine will be a 99A merc block , with a 4 1/4 Scat rotating assembly, .125 over,heavily ported and relieved, Hogan heads, twin 97s on a hexagon tool manifold, stainless headers and exhaust.

Im trying to do a usable truck, but also keep as many early components as possible, the main chassis upgrades are strengthening and better brakes and stance .

heres some shots of the first weeks progress, all pretty self explanatory..fire away with any questions..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

32 front crossmember reshaped to sit 2.5" higher.will require a custom bottom tank on radiator.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hydraulic brake conversion.

[​IMG]
    spindles modded to suit late brake backing plate.

[​IMG]

Hot Rod Works axle conversion.

[​IMG]
    '40 rear bones modified to fit 32 diff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This week Ill mount the mockup block, make front mounts (Im using the 32 style of mount on the crossmember) ,get the clutch,brake and handbrake working, and then start making the rear K member legs and front chassis section doublers (like a 34 chassis ) It should be pretty quick to build as its all stock locations for most parts, so hopefully avoiding all the fabrication headaches that come from gearbox/pedal/diff swappping.. looking forward to having it rolling!!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  2. F&J

F&J

While the chopping tools are in your hands....:D

Yea, it's all in the builders wishes, but there are 2 full fendered ones in the tri state area, and they really caught my eye: Chop, and just a bit out of the bed length.

I sure do like to see fenders once in a while:cool:

3. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Oh yeh! forgot to mention that, it will be getting a four (or maybe five, if my engineer okays it!) inch haircut, standard length bed.The Larry monreal pickup that I have been building is a big influence on this truck! heres a pic.. This has a five inch chop.

[​IMG]

4. Gonna be Kool...

5. Cowtown Speed Shop

Cowtown Speed Shop
    from KC

Your project looks sweet to me!!, I know your steering wheel and pedals are on the right hand side, Where as here in the US ours is on the left......But I have always wondered what is the shift pattern on your trans? are they the same as the US trans? or are they reversed from what we have over here.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Gotta keep us up to date on this one. Every time one of these '32-'34 Pu threads come around it pisses me off that I let loose of the one I had hanging around here for almost 20 years. Oh well. live and learn.:(

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Awesome, been a long time in the making, be great to see it come together....!

8. F&J

F&J

Probably too much work, but I'd lower the bottom edge of the windshield 1". Does it look odd in this pic? Maybe if the frame was chromed it would not look like this.

That look goes away with a lesser chop. IMO

Lovin the wheel covers.:cool:

9. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

It does look bulky in that pic, but that truck is sitting behind me as I type, and in the flesh it seems much less obvious. It would be a big job to drop it as the dash and everything else references off that height. Its something to look into though, I agree.

Oh and cowtown, its the same H pattern, and our clutch pedal is still the left pedal. you just change gears with your left hand .

10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Frank is a card carrying member of the Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda Club...:D

11. FUEL01

FUEL01

Great stuff Ben, looking forward to watching the project unfold.

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Looking great so far!

13. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

oh, this one is gonna be good. with your skills and inspiration from the Monreal truck, it's inevitable.

14. D Staig

D Staig

Nice Ben.

Can you tell me again where that new '32 gearbox mount/plate comes from?

15. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Just found two old shots when I first mocked it up on another chassis, This was 2006! time sure flies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is with a chassis engineering dropped axle, I hope to get it this height with the undropped axle, through mucking around with the crossmember , and spring pack, and smaller tyres (5.50x 15 fronts)

the front wheels have a bit of a story.. they were 15x5 early merc rims, I got three of them for twenty bucks at the Roundup swap in Texas the other month, Blake the Yay-hoo kindly let me drill out the centres on two of them at his garage, and I carried them back to australia in my luggage. The third wheel? Last i saw it was propped against a tree in the Texas hill country, keeping a watchful eye on the mountain lions' comings and goings, at the Jalopy Journal world headquarters!
    I had some Dodge 4.5" rims narrowed to 3.5" and the Merc centres dropped right in.They're the ones in the top photos, all powdercoated and pretty now.
    Thanks to my Texas pals!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  16. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

hey Dave,

CW Moss have them in stock, I think Macs sells them too. I have the inner ring/bearing retainer if you need one. I Dont think that bit is reproduced.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Man that's gonna be a killer truck!!! I can't wait to see this one come together since I know it'll be top notch. Love the inspiration!

18. jimbob

jimbob

Ben, make sure you check the rolling diameter of those Excelsiors if they are the cross ply ones. I had a set for the roadster, and there was over 1" difference betwwen the height on both front tyres. Antiques fully refunded me, but by the time I noticed it, Coker had discontinued production.

19. Looking cool as Ben, can I paint the logos on the doors when your done?

20. cool truck!!!!

21. Very kool Ben...looking forward to seeing it come together.

Rat

22. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Thanks Jimbob,
    just checked them, about 1.5mm difference at 30 psi, should be ok.yes they are the crossplys, I got the fronts cheap, as they are discontinued.Hope I never get a bad puncture..new set of tyres! This was a a bit of an issue I had to weigh up,but at the price I thought it a reasonable risk. Ive done over 20,000 miles in my roadster on bias plys..no punctures yet ,touch wood!

23. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Sure can Kyle, you designed it, after all !

24. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Kick ass Ben.. Looking forward to seeing the progress..

25. zomb1e

zomb1e

hurry up and finish it!! very cool pick up

26. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Gonna be keeping an eye on this project.... Very Nice.

27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

This is going to be awesome..

28. Looks good so far.
    i'll keep watching,
    I love those trucks.

29. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Thanks for sharing, I really like your style and approach.

30. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Cheers! heres the latest.. gearbox bolted up, clutch linkage done. I had to lengthen the 39 lever on the clutch shaft about 1 1/2" .dressed it after welding a section in so it looks like an untouched forging. The clevis is a Ford branded one, I think it was a Model A brake rod end? drilled and tapped it to take the 3/8 NF eye bolt.Next is the handbrake, will do that tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]