Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs MY FIRST CAR!! 53 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KustomCars, Jun 2, 2012.

1. BlacktopScraper

BlacktopScraper

This was my second old car that I owned (17 years) . Sold it the beginning of May 2012 .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First time being without an old ride in a long time! :eek:

2. bubmrdrmerc

bubmrdrmerc
    from oklahoma

3. Thumper

Thumper

AWESOME....!!!! Rock on young man....Rock on..:D

4. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Going to clean the ford up after school tomorrow and starting taking the ugly blue carpet out! More to come!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  5. Looks like it is in pretty good shape. A lot cooler than my first car. [1960 Dodge Pioneer Wagon, it was free]

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Good for you!

Here's a pic of my '54.

[​IMG]

7. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

8. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Thanks for subscribing!:)

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jason!...the Ford looks great! Real straight and solid. And runs good too! Very proud of you, old buddy. Big day for you!

I know you had been kinda wanting an old wagon, and looked at some prospects, but you didn't have a lot of luck finding a good one. I seem to remember suggesting that the one you finally get will be better than any of the ones you had already looked at. Aren't you happy now, that you "missed out" on all the others? I think this car beats a wagon hands-down.

Actually kinda jealous of you...you greaser-punk-hot rod hooligan!...lol!

10. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Lol ! I guess I am a greaser-punk-hot rod hooligan! Ya Im glad we didnt get those other ones we looked at! Today was a AWESOME day ! Had so much fun! I even sat in the drivers side while my Dad used the bathroom acting like I was driving! lol:D We drive her around a little bit also!:)

11. bottledViolence

bottledViolence

could always eventually chop it

Attached Files:

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, of course you are...my new desktop background proves it. Just look at that "trouble-maker" in the old Ford...lol.

[​IMG]

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The '53 Ford... Honest to god, I can't think of a better first car for someone just getting into this stuff. Such a great shape... Good on you man.

14. 55chrysler

55chrysler
    from kelso wa

That is a cool car. Nothing better than your first car. Can you say freedom!!! Congrats have fun with it. Keep us posted as you work on it.

15. skoh73

skoh73

Way to go man! My '53 Ford is my first old car, and honestly I'm so glad I got the car I did. It has been a ton of fun, drives like a dream. Just about everything you could need for your car is available aftermarket. You are gonna have fun driving 3 on the tree!

16. 54hotrodder

54hotrodder

Bro this is awsome i got my first car when i was 6. It was a 1939 chevy sedan. i now have seven cars believe it or not. I drive a 1954 chevy 210 chopped top to highschool everyday Im only 16. Its an addiction and never let it up.

17. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Thanks Ryan!:D

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  18. Squablow

Squablow

My first car was also a '53 Ford Mainline 2 door sedan with a V8, bought it at the age of 11 (1992), customized while in high school, still have it, pictured below, and am just putting the finishing touches on a '52.

[​IMG]

A few tips/words of advice. '56 Oldsmobile tail light lenses can be screwed into the original '53 tail light bezels and they look great, that's what I have in my '52 now, nice simple mod that doesn't require any body work.

Oil/grease all the points on the hood hinges immediately and be very careful when you open and close the hood. The hood hinges are kind of a poor design, very expensive to replace and very prone to breakage, so if yours work now, do what you can to preserve them.

Replacement front coil springs for a 1990 Ford Aerostar minivan will bolt into your '53 and gives you about a 3" drop. They're about $60 at Autozone. Along with some shorter shocks and a set of 3" lowering blocks, you can lower your car in your driveway in an afternoon for about $125 and it'll ride great.

The steering box is adjustable. I'd bet money yours is sloppy (because they all are) but apparently you can adjust the slop out. No special tools required, save yourself some headaches and do that right away.

A '67 Mustang non-power drum/drum master cylinder will bolt into this car and give you dual chamber which is a great idea for safety's sake, and the last new one I bought was $18. If you're redoing your brakes, it's a worth while upgrade.

Be sure to post pictures as work progresses, and ask questions when you have them, this is the best place in the world to find advice and guidance. I've learned a lot being here.

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I imagine Jason is trying very hard to focus on his school studies today...lol.

20. Paul B

Paul B

Congrats : When i was in juinior high we had a kid who had a 53 . His parents wouldnt' let him take it to school.

21. Colville

Colville

This is awesome! Happy for you! Thumbs up!

22. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

good looking car....

23. outlaw256

outlaw256

DANG son, thats a good lookin 53 you got yourself there!!!ive always been kinda fond of the 53s. ah heck i likem all.lol youve done good. thou we have never met or even talked im sure happy for you.a 53 and your first car period.your off to a good start.even the boss said good for you.if i can help you in anyway just let me know.be glad to do all i can for ya.and listen to squab about the hood hinges. i didnt know that now im on the look out for some myself for my 53.

24. Philbilly

Philbilly

Very cool! Congrats on your first car!

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

26. bbbronc

bbbronc

Nice car, the 52-54 is my second favorite ford bodystyle. It's good to see guys like you get into the hobby at such a young age. My dad was a bodyman for the first part of his working life and we always talked about building a car when I was young, but we never did. I started later but I'm starting my son early (he is 8 ). Good luck with the project!

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Good luck Jason. I've had my 54 since I was in high school (1986)

30. And it's a Mainline too....even better!

Let me know if you need a 53 Mainline fender script....I have one laying around.