Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got an important cross steer question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skrayp, May 21, 2012.

1. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Something else that crossed my mind... The further from the axle center the tie rod and drag link get, the less efficient the pitman arm movement will be, thus giving you a crappier turning radius. Suicide front ends sure do cause a lot of problems...

Your converse are not shop shoes. Buy boots.

2. Skrayp

Skrayp

You're right. I thought about that shortly after I hit the submit button. The remainder of my parts come in tomorrow afternoon. I ordered the drag link prior to my question hoping I was ok with my setup. I'll post pics of the final results by friday. She's gotta go, customer's waiting!

3. Skrayp

Skrayp

Well, I finished the car and delivered it on Memorial Day. I had to set the drag link back 4 inches from parallel and bend the steering arms down 1/2". Test drove it, handled pretty nice once once I got the steering gear adjusted in. It doesn't turn as tight as I wanted it to because of where I had to put the shock mounts (it had none before). I had to weld bump stops on the steering arms to keep the tie rod from hitting the lower shock mounts. I have a slight clearance issue with the lower radiator hose and the drag link but I don't think the two will ever meet. I put some pretty stiff shocks on it, and no...I did not install a panhard rod. The leaf spring has no arch to it under load, and the shackles are rolled in tight enough that I don't think it will be an issue. So, the grocery list of things I did to this car are as follows:

*shortened the frame 8 3/4" in order for the steering linkage to clear the radiator
    *Installed a round tube crossmember,proper spring hat & U-bolts, and bobbed the rails
    *changed the batwings from fab'd units to forged
    *added forged lower shock mounts and a fab'd upper shock mount/headlight mount and installed gas shocks
    *mounted a vega box and new steering shaft w/proper joints
    *installed the correct steering linkage in the original taper
    *shimmed the kingpins (had none at all and very sloppy)
    *notched the caliper so the whip hoses come out towards the rails instead of towards the axle where they were getting pinched.

To sum it up, thank you guys for the help! Here's some pics

Attached Files:

4. Mart

Mart

Nice job.

It is harder to re-do someone else's work than do it right in the first place, but i'd say you pulled it off pretty well.

Mart.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Has no one ever seen a stock cross-steer Ford drag link? 37-41 have a good bend and 42-48 a couple of them. They are made of tubing with a fixed tie rod end at one end and an adjustment sleeve and tie rod end at the other. Another example of Ford's magic alloys.

6. Skrayp

Skrayp

As I stated earlier, I agree it can work. But, this was not good example. The right setup would have cost way too much money to do and it would not be aesthetically as pleasing as the traditional setup. We're all about traditional on here anyway,right? It's all good though. My question was answered, the car is done, and the customer is tickled pink.:)

Ummmm, this was a response to a post that is no longer on here. Oh, well.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  7. Fenders

Fenders

Yes, and also have you also seen a 1960s Chevy tie rod end (MOOG 675) with its bend? No problem with dropping or bending a tie rod if you do it right.

8. lawman

lawman

Sorry to take so long to get back with you. Here are a few more Pic's'
    have more if you have a special area you want to see.

Attached Files:

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That's an interesting concept. As an old, long retired dirt tracker, I'd really like to see a detailed set of pics on that setup.
    Although you're adding unsprung weight, you've totally eliminated bump steer if you use constant velocity u-joints in the shaft between chassis and axle/rack.
    Dave