Register now to get rid of these ads!

1937 Ford truck Steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by misfit2, Jun 2, 2012.

1. misfit2

misfit2
    from Maryland

I'm sure it's been discussed, but I can't find anything on the subject. I have a 1937 Ford truck and I took the entire steering apart, steering wheel to box. Should I change my steering box or keep the stock set up and rebuild the box? I'm keeping the body stock, so it's going to be a heavy truck. Are there any advantages to changing to a different box or is the '37 a desirable steering box?.
    (I'm not changing to a rack or power.)
    Thanks

2. Bud Reynolds

Bud Reynolds

The `37 steering box and later years was a big improvement over the earlier versions and is very much sought after. The original flathead V-8 engine is heavy so if you are thinking of a later small block or staying stock you should be fine with the original. Parts are readily available for rebuilding.

3. misfit2

misfit2
    from Maryland

I'm keeping the flathead in the truck. Well 2 for keeping the stock box. It really isn't in too bad of shape, just gaskets and bearings will do, everything else in there is low mileage.. I guess i wanted to hear if these were decent once set up with new parts.