Register now to get rid of these ads!

Incredible welds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty f100, Oct 6, 2008.

1. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

DougG, I run an inverter, HTP 201, I would use 2% lanthanated 3/32'' tungsten sharpened to a sharp point, a number 6 cup, 18-20 cfh of 100% argon. I would set the machine to around 110 amps and set pulse (if applicable) to 1 PPS. I would use 1/16" ER70-S2 filler, it seems to "freeze" faster than -S6

Clean clean clean!! And don't use brake cleaner!

2. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Deto, I think what your trying to describe is a lay wire technique; flowing the rod continuously opposed to stepping and pausing.

3. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Very nice welds on here.. I get all happy when I stick metal together with my flux 110, I NEED MORE PRACTICE NOW THANKS GUYS!!

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

NICE!All this time I thought this was TIG welds only. Great gas work. Bob :)

5. deto

deto

Yes. So what gives it the ripple effect then if you're not pulling the rod all the way out of the puddle?

6. killerbunny

killerbunny
    from serbia

Thread is not over..Welcome back hope you have some new stuff..It's been 4 yrs. <object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/15/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>:D

7. Looks like a bird shit on the weld :D

8. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

The great thing about Tig is that you manipulate the heat how ever you like to get your "signature" weld. With lay wire technique you can leave the wire in the puddle and move the torch back over it(both hands never stop moving). I think that is the look you are thinking of.

9. deto

deto

I am gonna try that on Monday. I do more of the dip in and out while pulsing the pedal on every dip but I have read that each edge of each puddle is a place for stress cracks to form

10. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

There are too many ways to analyze each and every specific weld. Dont get caught up in analysis paralysis. But you shouldn't "pulse" the amps with your foot, its not necessary and not the same as built in pulse parameters on a welder .

11. deto

deto

I will post a pic tomorrow. I don't think the miller at work has a pulse adjustment

12. TheDozer

TheDozer

I love tig and have a pulse feature but I don't use it. I lay a bead down similar to what Sniffn is referring to. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338752137.182004.jpg
    Not my best bead, by any means, but it does the job and then some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Post 901 is mine... That's pulsing the amps with my foot pedal, and adding filler to every pulse. There are videos on YouTube if you search welder series.

Don't be late, penetrate!

14. deto

deto

OK cool. Thats what I figured. Here is me welding a 10g ring to 1/4" thick hot rolled using the pulsing method. Got a little under cut but I had it up on the welding table. I should have just climbed up to get a better angle on it.

Attached Files:

• weld.jpg
      weld.jpg
      File size:
      486.7 KB
      Views:
  15. SANGRE-INDIO

SANGRE-INDIO
    from sacramento

im a real big noobie to the welding game, but thinking of picking up a mig welder any recommendations? mostly plan on working on cars, air ride set ups and custom bracketing.

16. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^ im no pro, but i can share my experience.
    I bought a 180 digimig with a spool gun plug. Yet to try the spool, but the auto setting is a real handy feat. ike you i like frame/suspension work, n generally workin on thicker steel. A 220 was over my budget but theres no reason in the world a 180 properly set shouldnt do the job.
    These are the only pic i have of some nice welds i pulled with it. Its 4mm fish plate over 3mm square tubing. The wire flows amazingly well, so the puddle is very easy to control, of course, provided the machine is set right. I think that is also acceptable look-wise, althou not as pretty as the artists on this thread.
    Remember also that a weld doesnt have to have the stack o'dime look to be a good one. althou i like pretty welds and i still practice to master that technique as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. SANGRE-INDIO

SANGRE-INDIO
    from sacramento

thanks how much does that a welder like that cost?

18. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

I paid mine the equivalent of about 1k, althou catalog price was 1400$, this cause i bought it at a big quality equip shop where they can give discounts on expensive purchase

This is the settings:

[​IMG]

Dont have pics of mine, but this is one that i found on the net is same size. Telwin is a good european brand which i choose for availability of spares.

[​IMG]

19. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I still get a kick out of how many people think there's a magic machine setting that gets beads to look a certain way. Once you can SEE the puddle you can BE the puddle. Forget tungsten type, amps, cup, machine, settings, ect. Just run stringers and watch the puddle until you can actually manipulate it.

:confused: I'm guessing half the posts since then have been mine ;)

20. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

Good call... I'm always hesitant to tell people "use x amps for x material" because there are so many other factors; How long do you hold the heat in one place? How far away is the tungsten? What angle is your torch at? Etc. It's practice, people! Try different ways, don't be afraid to blow through or dip your tungsten once in a while! Try different amps, you'll get it eventually. Oh, did I mention practice? Sometimes it'll come to you super fast and you'll have a great weld, then it'll go away and you won't be able to weld worth a dern. When it comes back, that's when it'll stick.

21. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Lovely work. I need to burn more to even think about welds this pretty.
    I have a question. In working on our ford model t's suspension we've been told to use stainless fill rod.
    I don't have a bottle of tri-mix gas on hand for the mig. Is it going to hurt anything to run the few passes we need with argon/co2. I know it will not be shiney, but other surface finish should I worry.

Thanks,
    CBB

This thread has me rethinking all of my welds...and has me looking closer at each step. I may never be as good as some of you... but I want to make sure it's right and safe. Thanks again.

22. Speaks softly to self as he darns the traditional welders garb

"Be the puddle- Be the puddle- Be the puddle.

Most folks who start welding will argue that they are watching or seeing the puddle. If you stand over their shoulder and watch its obvious that they can't see the puddle.
    Seeing the puddle is quite difficult to explain but once its seen that's when the light bulb goes off. Training the eyes and brain to recognise the shiny liquid metal thru the bright light and smoky lenses takes practice. Then the hand need to communicate with the eyes and that takes practice.

23. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Aaaaaannnd Punt!!

24. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

LOL. Sounds weird but its true. For me at least

25. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

/\ This is the truth.

Some scrap from today

[​IMG]
    practice welds by Brown Dog Welding, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    practice welds by Brown Dog Welding, on Flickr

26. 392_hemi

392_hemi

27. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Good stuff. I'm with him on the 2% thoriated. Aluminum, stainless, mild....transformer or inverter. Wish I had easier access to it!

I can't imagine he uses 1/16"(as stated in the article) on everything though...I think he was referring to the cosmetic cover passes he does.

In other news, I defaced my bench today:

[​IMG]
    I still draw on my desk when I can't concentrate.... by Brown Dog Welding, on Flickr

28. 57 3100

57 3100

29. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Yeah, I added filler, I always add filler. It was freehand, basically going back and forth with the torch and dropping in the filler on each side. I gave it a slight foot pulse at each "drop".

30. 57 3100

57 3100

wow. amazing. i have to find the time and practice this.... its so beautiful.
    thanks for the help.