Register now to get rid of these ads!

AV8 crossmember question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nvr2Fast, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Nvr2Fast

Nvr2Fast

Hi all, I'm planning on building an AV8, and have a question about trans crossmembers. I'm going to build a '30 Coupe on a stock A frame, but I have a '46 2-door sedan parts car that I'm using for the rear, brakes, spindles, and other stuff.

My question is as an alternate to the '32 K-member and F1 crossmember, could I use the '46 x-member and A crossmember together? And if so, could I retain the '46 pedals? If anyone has done this, I'd love to see some pics. Thanks...

-Ed

2. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anything is possible, but I can think of a lot of modification and fabfication that would be involved. xmember would need to be shaved to meet the A frame and narrowed and probably shortened. If your planning on going t-5 trans , you have to modify the torque box in the center of the x member. It would be pure luck if the pedal assy worked without modification. On the plus side the frame would be much more rigid. I think it would be easier to build an X from scratch, but I have never tried what you're thinking about. Good Luck.

3. Nvr2Fast

Nvr2Fast

The plan is to use a '39 trans behind a 59A, guess I should have mentioned that initially.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have seen '35-'40 type x-members used in Model "A" frames before, and that looked like allot of work. The '46 type that you have is quite a bit deeper through X-member rails, about the only thing you can do is slide beneeth the car and start measuring.

5. It can be done, I've started a thread on it awhile ago. There are some pictures on it. They are very deep and will require lots of cutting to make fit in a A frame.

If you want a x member the 33-34 are the best and the 35-40 work okay too.

6. bct

bct

check the "clutch poppers" ongoing thread ,about three months ago,,,, they are doing a nice job of getting an \x member into a narrower frame.

7. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I built a complete X member for my AV8. I will try and get some pics up.... PM me if I for get (im at work and the pics are at home on my computer).

8. Nvr2Fast

Nvr2Fast

Cool, okay guys. I'll look into it. I'm not against using a '32 k-member or F1 crossmember, it's just one of those things that if you have it laying around, can it be adapted. The other way I look at it is as long as it isn't a HUGE undertaking and is possible, what could it hurt to add some additional structural rigidity to the A frame.

9. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

i used the stock "A" cross member and the 46 style trans member just added a couple outriggers to tie them together.i don't think model "A" frames with flathead power need to be super ridged.those frames were ment to flex with the suspention torsion.my 2 cents.

Attached Files:

10. Nvr2Fast

Nvr2Fast

What pedals did you wind up using?

11. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Here is one. I couldn't find the CD the rest of them are on.

Attached Files:

12. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

i used modified 38 ford pedals but any angled ford pedal assem will fit.

13. barry wny

barry wny

'46 Subframe cutoff, put in backwards, locate determined after engine is correctly placed, cake, just have to make front of X to avoid starter, allow fior padals.

Attached Files: