Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A mirrors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Any suggestions for side view mirrors on a 1930 Model A Coupe ?
    I don't want to use the hinge pin style, so am probably limited to the clamp on style. What size mirror head & arm length works best for a good view?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I used a clamp on style. It didn't like the clamp part though so I took it off, drilled a hole in the door and hard mounted it without the clamp.

3. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Nothing that looks good gives a great view!

4. Dirk35

Dirk35

I have a Model A Sedan with the 4" Peep. Cannot see a thing out of it. I turn my head. Had the 3" peep on my 35 Pickup....it was worse.

If you want it for looks, the peep is the way to go.

If you want it for use, you need something that extends out from the body further since the body is wedge shaped. I mostly see the back window of my own car when I look in the mirror.

5. Because of the "bulge" in the body only hinge type work well. I use 3" peeps 'cause they look neat but the view is obstructed so A GOOD INSIDE REAR VIEW MIRROR IS A MUST and always turn your head to make sure you don't get side swiped! I too removed the clamps and mounted it solid. 4" peeps would help a little and look pretty good.

6. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I got some mirrors for sale. Brand new 3" clamp on peep. If your interested check out my for sale post. Thanks, Aman

7. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

My problem is that I drive using mirrors, I don't like spinning my head around constantly to find out what's going on around me. And I always want to know what's going on. I drove a tractor trailer in NY for many years, and believe me you learn a lot doing that, especially in Manhattan.

Anyhow, back to my quest, any more suggestions?

8. river1

river1

whether you use a hinge or peep type go to the local auto parts store and pick up a convex stick on mirror in the size of your mirror. it helps with low visibility problem of the flat mirrored peep.

just remember that objects are closer then they appear :p

later jim

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Another option is to use a rectangular small pickup mirror head when traveling and replace the heads with the little "stylish" round ones when you get to your event.

10. Muttley

Muttley

These might look cool.

[​IMG]

11. tahern

tahern
    BANNED
    from Kentucky

12. you could make up a longer arm,modified to fit peep mirrors.check out lime squeezer on you tube as an example.

13. A Model Art

A Model Art

I looked for a useable bolt on mirror for my roadster noluck. I modified a Harley Davidson mirror and it is great. I am making another one for the passenger side. A little welding and bending and you have a good mirror. When I finsih the right side I will have the arms re- chromed.

14. DrJ

DrJ

15. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

If you're used to West Coast mirrors on a big rig then you're never going
    to be happy with cool looking mirrors on your Model A.

Best of luck though.

16. Aviator

Aviator

Same problem for a '31 roadster. Can not find a good mirror set-up. What about Hagan mirrors?

17. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Now that would be really different, west coast mirrors on a Model A. I could hook up my CB antennas to the mirrors frame.

18. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

There are a number of rearview cameras that might be just the ticket for our needs, though
    they aren't traditional.

I have been toying with the idea of one of these mounted somewhere where it's unseen. There are a number of different ways to mount it, either fixed or movable. It could be mounted unobtrusively in a body panel, hidden by something that's removable when driving, or mounted under the tail pan like one of those vacuum operated Retract-Plate mechanisms that Dan Fink makes.

They seem to be cheap enough, and the cameras are getting smaller evey day. They're even making them to go on bicycles.

Click here: E305-18.5mm Color CMOS 170 Degree Wide Angle Car Rearview Camera for Universal Vehicle - $ 18.53 - Dropshipping, F

Click here: E301-23mm Color CMOS 135 Degree Car Rearview Camera for Universal Vehicle - US$ 18.12 - China wholesale GreatSKU.c

19. I used 5 inch round mirrors I bought at the Jefferson swap meet from the Ford Barn, or maybe it was Templins. I Mounted them on 5/16 round rod that I drilled and tapped for the mirror to thread into. The post I made is threaded on the end and goes through the windshield post and held on with a nut inside under the cowl, and one on the outside to tighten it down, solid as a rock, Good rear vision and they look like they belong. I had 4 inch oval mirrors and they were not very good, the 5 inch really made a difference.
    I have to log off now but if you have any questions or want better pics, PM me.

Attached Files:

20. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Maybe this will help, if you don't mind the look!

Attached Files:

21. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

They look right at home there.

22. clockwork31

clockwork31

Like shooter54 I have used the clamp on style mirrors but I took off the clamp, drilled through the door and fixed with a longer ss screw. I'm happy the way it looks and I don't have the big clamp on the top of the door.

Attached Files:

23. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

^^^ I'm thinking of doing the same thing, can't keep the clamps tight for one thing. I think hard mounting the mirror would be the way to go.

24. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Locktite.