Register now to get rid of these ads!

Steering Boxes -- how quick is too quick?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slimegreeeeeen, Jun 2, 2012.

1. IMG_0156.jpg I'm planning on running this custom wheel on my 29 A roadster with cowl steering. Not going to be the easiest wheel to turn lock-to-lock. That said, I figured I'd run a quick-steering box, but not too quick. I'm thinking 10 to 1 would be about right. I'd be most curious what others think.

2. railroad

railroad

With manual steering, a quicker ratio is usually at trade off for higher turning resistance.
    If you scratch your ass and end up doing a bat turn, it is too fast.

3. I understand one of the sprint car boxes has a 10-to-1 ratio. Seems like any faster could be a big hassle for low speed around town cruising. I have a 64 Dodge A-body box but I think it's more like 16-t0-1. Wondering if it would work.

4. I'd work backward from the amount of travel you need at the steering arm for, say a 90 deg right turn at an intersection. If the steering arm needs to move 2" (or whatever), then you know the motion angle you need at the pitman arm. Cowl steer with a long arm is gonna be pretty fast anyway, so don't overthink it and get yourself into trouble with a twitchy car.

If you have another rod you can test steering angle with, put a hose clamp on the drag link and bend a piece of welding wire into a U shape so it touches both sides of the clamp buckle. Attach the wire to the frame rail and drive the car around town. Then measure how far the clamp pushed the wires apart. That will tell you how much motion you need at the end of the pitman arm.

5. oj

oj

I don't know about 10:1 but my ross sprint car box is 1 1/2turns lock to lock. The more/less aggressive adjustment is in the pitman arm length.
    The degress of rotation on the sector shaft isn't much, it might be 10:1.