Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 no muffler?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixbangr, Jun 1, 2012.

1. sixbangr

sixbangr

who is doing it and do you like it? Will be a '61 Chevy pu with the pipe out the back.

2. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i had a 62 that just had a resonator (you young guys find a old guy to tell u what it is ) no muffler cracked like a school bus with a straight pipe, it really was awesome

3. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Had a '53 with a 216 and drove it daily with no exhaust. Sounded great.

4. sixbangr

sixbangr

the muffler is shot anyway, so tomorrow i will find out for myself.

5. squirrel

squirrel

It's fun, but you'll probably get tired of it after a while.

6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My brothers '54 Chev just got a straight pipe a couple weeks ago (he has a really cool brother that did it for him). Sounds awesome and I swear it's even faster!

7. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

My daily driver 53 Belair is running fenton headers with 1 3/4 straight pipes out the back and I love the way it sounds.

8. superduper88

superduper88

When the muffler rusted out on my old '66 GMC(250-6cyl) I cut it off to put a glasspack on. I went ahead and started her up sans muff just to see and it sounded great! Not as loud as you would think. I say go for it.

-John

9. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

I've got a '57 235 with no muffler in my T-bucket. I like the sound it produces....kind of deep and throaty.

Attached Files:

10. as long as you bring the exhaust to the very end of the rear bumper you will like the way it sounds....don't run it with just the exhaust pipe ending under the floor.....it needs a very loooonnng pipe to sound good !!.....sixes are such smooth runners that at any rpm they sound sweet !!

11. sixbangr

sixbangr

I plan to leave it in the stock location

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

When I was younger I thought it was cool for awhile, but now I think it was likely pretty much like the kids running around with their 5 inch Honda exhausts today making obnoxious noise (ie: not so cool...)

By the way, the only feeling I really remember regarding the exhaust was the day I put a brand new muffler back on the truck (a 55 F-100) and all of a sudden the whole truck felt brand new and smooth again. Much more satisfying really...

13. X77D80

X77D80
    from New Mexico

I knocked the muffler off my 47 while loading it on a trailer to bring it home. It wasn't awful loud or anything but I still prefer it with the muffler on. :D

14. sixbangr

sixbangr

all done, hardly any differance, muffler was real bad.

15. onetruth1130

onetruth1130

Just installed dual carbs and split headers with glasspacks. I have a feeling I'm gonna get tired of it being so loud sooner than later! Still sounds pretty cool tho!

16. deeddude

deeddude

I ran mine with open headers for a few minutes after I finished the y-pipe, sounded like a tractor; couldn't get the muffler on there fast enough.

17. RayMiller

RayMiller

My 52 has no muffler and pipe all the way out the back an I like it when I take my foot off the gas and get that kinda rap and pop that the bomb style low riders have from their exhaust so it's cool to me.

18. I prefer a glasspack.....

19. Truckedup

Truckedup

Stock low performance 6 cylinder engines with no muffler sounds like what it is.Put a muffler on it please.

20. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Just lopped my exhaust ('53 Two-Ten w/ a '56 235) in order to fit test a few different mufflers I had around the shop, but as soon as it hit the ground my mind was made up... straight pipe! (Did the cutting while it was running) Love it, sounds great, and I agree with everyone who has said that it produces that low crackle and pop when you take your foot off the gas. I DID end up using a reducer (increaser? lol) piece to take the pipe up to 2 1/8", giving it a deeper tone than the small pipe that comes off the exhaust manifold. Gave it a deeper sort of a grumble.

21. rajcam79

rajcam79
    from S.E. MI

When my muffler came a part it didn't sound that great. I replaced it with a turbo muffler, not real loud, decent tone.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

22. They sound like carp don't let anyone fool you. But the upside is that if you don't like it you can always put a muffler on it.

23. Road Runner

Road Runner

Single exhaust is probably better with a typical muffler.
    Ever heard the 'buzzin' mean half dozen' expression ?
    My original single exhaust 216 without muffler just begged to be muffled again.

However, split exhaust manifold or better yet, dual cast iron exhaust headers without crossover, arguably sound best with an early chevy 6 and straight pipes out the back.
    The extra 3 bends around the rear axle are the only true mufflers this engine requires.

It's sure to confuse or piss off V8 lovers, which makes it even more ridiculous.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  24. A properly built liner sounds OK, your average 235 just sounds like crap. Anything that doesn't have a decent compression ratio just sounds like an old tractor when it is running without a muffler.

I can't say that I get pissed off, I just have a total lack of respect for an engine that sounds like an old tractor unless it is an old tractor. ;)

25. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And if there's one thing I can't stand it's a noisy fish...

26. Road Runner

Road Runner

I really enjoy the wide range of different sounds this engine makes, once you open up the exhaust.
    The sounds at deceleration in gear, in particular are truly unique.
    When I drive up the freeway mountains and the sound bounces off the concrete divider, it sounds like a vintage single engine aircraft and I always have my windows rolled down, even in winter, to catch that sound.

Yesterday, I drove up to my neighbors house with my 261 and straight pipes out the back. His driveway is an inclining dirt road, so you come up with low rpm and about half open throttle.
    When he came out to greet me, the first thing he said was that he thought a Harley was driving up. :D

He owns a couple of choppers and has several 40s to mid 60s rides parked on his property and a large 60s bus with a huge Cummins diesel.
    He sure knows his engine sounds, but my 261 got him somewhat fooled.

I make guitars and tube amps for a living and have learned a long time ago that everybody perceives sound differently.
    What sounds cool and exciting to one set of ears can be almost unbearable to another.
    After all our ears are the most direct portal to our emotions. And nobody is right or wrong.

My favorite quote by Duke Ellington: “If it sounds good and feels good, then it IS good!” ;)

28. nek635

nek635

running my pipes through the bumper....something different.

Attached Files:

29. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

I have a 216 with No mufflers on my 53... Sounds totally Bitchin! Not too loud either. We split the echaust too and it sounds Just right! Real Throaty, and Braps nice especially when you let off the gas.

30. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I'm repealing my initial comment about straight pipes on my '53 235. It got really annoying really quick. I still have single exhaust, but I'm running a 36" Thrush glass pack. Much happier.