Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. C's Garage (Gary Cochran's Competition Dragster Restoration)

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chuy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Oh yeah...tacked the dzus tabs in or the small floorboard...

Attached Files:

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Why did go with that style dzus plates? and dont tell me that those are the only ones available. I had such high hopes for you.

3. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Well rememeber we can't pick the fly shit out of the pepper.... There is nothing documented on how the floor was mounted so we are working with what we think is best. These will barely be seen and will also allow us to remove the floor to set the clutch pedal and work on anything without removing the body because everytime you remove the body you scratch it. Don't let something so small take away from the rest of the car. The finished product will speak for itself...remember this isn't a reproduction, it's the original car and we are doing or best financially and physically to get this right and running for Gary this October. Once again the car will speak for itself.

4. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Hey Bruce,
    If those dzus plates bother you, how about the steering? In the very first post it shows the chassis with the the orginal Ross steering, complete and intact, and now it has a PS box. What gives ? I had high hopes too !
    Pete Eastwood

5. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Well that Ross box was too far gone to restore. Years of sitting in the desert fused everything together. It would have cost way too much, in the thousands to make new gears and shafts for that box. If I would have had those gears done, we would have not been able to do some of the other stuff we were able to do. Let's not Go bandwagoning here. This car is for Gary to get into at the hot rod reunion. I Respect both of you for all the cars you have done but we don't have your budgets. The car will be amazing and mist importantly, Gary will have his days at Lions once more that's all I care about.

6. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

What, I have big money ? I'll trade you my budget for your budget ! You're the one posting about this restoration! Is this a restoration or are you just fixing up an old race car ? Did you look for another Ross box ? They're out there, Derek and I have a few, and they are cheaper than a PS!
    Pete Eastwood

7. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Sorry to respond so late! Just found your build and Looks very cool. Have you talked to Don Hampton? He's lived in Bellflower most of his life and had his blower shop there for along time. His shop is still just up the street in Downey. He's a great guy to talk to and knows all the old guys from back in the day.

8. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

WOW Robert , Tough Crowd these days:D don't worry I still think it's cool, but what the f**k do I know:( Tim Jones

9. riceman

riceman

Man, it's a RESTORATION ! No Fudging allowed ! You can't rush to get it done RIGHT ! Sell the P-S Box, get a Ross Box from Pete and I am sure he would modify it like it is suppose to be.

10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Theres "Fly shit in pepper" and theres "Cat turd in the sandbox". Stop by the shop and I will give you the right plates.

Robert, no anger here, this is just shoptalk between to freinds.

Pete, just got the spokes in and they look great

11. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Robert,
    Get that original Ross box to me, and I'll put it back into shape for you

Pete Eastwood

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Pete/ Robert, is it a Crosley Ross box? If it is, I have a couple of them, let me know what you need, maybe I can help you out.

13. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Celebrating the 1 year anniversary of this wonderful acquisition. 1 year ago today we rescued this from the bowels of the high desert with no idea who's it belonged to. This car has brought friends and family and complete strangers together and has given others a goal for completion. Thanks To all those that have helped us out either with parts or contacts to get parts. A good way to celebrate by having friends, pizza and beer over. This is how every build on any car should be.
    Thanks to all of our subscribers too. You guys don't know but you have helped us too.
    Robert and Steve

Attached Files:

14. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Oh yeah...the "who's" in the last post was an iPhone type-o. Damn iPhone.

15. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thanks for the info bite. Turns out my buddies wife knows Hampton quite well so were digging there too.
    Mucho thanks!

16. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

I can't wait to see her at the next CHRR. You guys are doing a great job.

17. Algon

Algon

Hey, Robert

What ROSS box was on the car and what is wrong with it? Just asking in case it hasn't been covered yet.

It's your project and not to knock anything but I'd also rather see you keep her dead nuts on than rush it. I understand the goal but even as a work in progress it would still be awesome on display in October.

Goodluck, Dan

18. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Good Morning Dan,

It's a Crosley box and the gears inside were so bad there was no rescuing those. They were fused together after sitting in the desert after so many years. When I pulled the box off there was about 2 spoons of rust dust that came out and some chunks. We soaked it and even sent it out to a good friend that couldn't rescue it. We got some guys on the hunt for parts or boxes just like that. When we get the box back we'll really get after it but right now were somewhat set on this P-S box based on this situation.

Thanks as always Dan!

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

20. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Thanks for keeping up on the build! We can't wait to get it there!

21. THE-SYNDICATE

THE-SYNDICATE

Can't believe it took me this long to find the thread! Awesome work!

~Robert M.

22. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Hmmm... Let's see.... 25~30 MPH, Horn Honk, Clutch out, Oil Pressure Up, Whack the Throttle, Count to 3, MAG ON.... BOOM!!!!! Let's Party!!!

yeah I cant wait for this to happen!!! THIS OCTOBERS CHRR!!
    thanks for checking it out!

23. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Talk about whacky....found this old guy that knows a few things about body work...best part is that he loves his Jack Daniels, that's how he's getting paid...this might cost more than I expected. I bought that bottle today...it's half empty!!!!!

Attached Files:

24. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Looks like a nice way to spend a Sat. afternoon.

25. droptop 63

droptop 63
    from Texas

Great score. An awesome build that I am sure will be worth the effort.

26. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Too bad I'm not closer Robert I'm an old fiberglass guy that doesn't drink anymore, I work for coffee, Looks good Tim Jones

27. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

Safety first!! Setting up the in and out box. Not original but a very very good item to have to protect people and the car. If we didn't have this it would mean pulling the body, the seat, the steering shaft and the rear end to remove the shaft. There's no way that we want to risk damage to any parts just to remove that shaft.

Attached Files:

28. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

We have one guy that does some glass and body work for Jack Daniels....and another guy that finishes the body work and does the paint and lettering for beer. Can you say lucky? This is awesome....

Attached Files:

29. Those look like the same guy. Are they twin alcoholic brothers? Do they live in a van down by the river?
    :D

30. Chuy

Chuy
    from Long beach

AAHAHAAA! Yeah they look the same but they are two totally different people as shown by the JD with one and the MGD with the other. I guess when you're around the shit like paint and bondo and things like that you morph into what appears to be the same person. They could be brothers though if you look at 'em.
    Robert