Register now to get rid of these ads!

I never really believed that "barn finds" happened as frequently as they seem to...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RagtopBuick66, Mar 25, 2012.

1. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Uggggh... If it ain't one damn thing...

So my fuel tank sprung a leak, probably since I filled it for the first time since circa 1986. Two epoxy putty patches and the expensive stuff (vitamin G, pushwater, etc.) stays in. THEN, the fuel pump finally gives up the ghost. Too much shwag coming from the tank I guess. Going to pick up a new fuel pump on Sunday, not sure what to do about the tank yet, but I can tell you that what is IN it is a far cry from good gasoline. The fresh gas I added did little more than reconstituting the old varnish, so now I have something I could use to stain my deck. If I had a deck. But I digress...

Like I said, I accidentally won a chrome valve cover on "the Bay", and it arrived. Pretty nice, actually, especially for what I paid for it. Replaced the valve guide seals while I had the cover off anyway, and all is well as far as that.

Picked up some "interesting" hubcaps at a junkyard the other day. 15" came off of a 90-something Chevy truck. THEY ARE NOT GOING TO RESIDE THERE FOR GOOD, but they look better than the four mismatched, rusted out wheels I have on there until I can get the new steelies I picked up last week (thanks IronPeddler) blasted and painted. Need to find one more hubcap though, since the truck I snagged them from only had 3. :(

Attached Files:

2. cool score... will make a cool custom

3. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I'm hoping so! :cool:;)

4. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Just finished restoring my steering wheel. Actually thought about writing a tech on it, but I'm sure its been done to death on here, and I'm not sure anyone would read it anyway (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692104&highlight=window+regulator+repair). But since I'm sharing my build, here's a pic. The dash and window surrounds/trim are all going to be the same color burgundy as the center of the wheel. I went through a can of just about every derivative of "red" they had on the shelf at O'Reilly's before I decided that this shade matched the vinyl I have for the door panels the best. Then my dumb-ass rottweiler, Lou, chewed up the cap in the back yard before I could write down the name so I could get more. Stupid dog. I THINK I remember which one it was... Dark Toreador Metallic. I think...

I'll be going with an oxblood nylon loop carpet, black headliner, and black vinyl on the lower 2/3 of each door panel, and probably just black seat covers for now. Classy yet sinister. Slowly but surely...

Still looking for a "driver quality" 53/54 horn ring if anyone has an extra laying around...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  5. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Well, the old '53 made its first run this afternoon. We didn't go far, about two miles maybe, but it drove and stopped under its own power. I wanted to drive it home this afternoon, but the brake lights aren't working. One more thing I've got to research I guess.

Also, while we able to bleed the lines enough to "get pedal" they were still slushy, so we're going to bleed them again tomorrow and see what happens. I'm thinking there's still some air in the lines.

Tires are a must, and are most definitely next on the list. They're most likely going to be from the local salvage yard, so I'm shooting for function and condition over looks. When I've got the original steelies refinished I'll start looking for some more "appropriate" rubber.

I've been having some issues with the generator, too. Wasn't putting out a charge at all. On a whim, I went out to the local U-Pull-It and snagged the generator off of a '52 CHRYSLER. I had to shim the bottom front mount about 5/8" in order to make it both fit the bracket AND line up the pulley, but it fit surprisingly well once shimmed. Used a lug nut as a spacer! Perfect fit! It's putting out about 1V at the moment (started at 0.4V and has been gradually increasing), but I'm hoping that improves as I run it and the brushes get cleaned up. Who knows how long its been sitting. As finances allow I will be assembling a 12V conversion kit to be installed once I've got all the parts, since it really isn't an option, it's a necessity.

So that's where I'm at. Tomorrow will be re-bleeding the brakes, setting the timing and adjusting the idle, making the brake lights work (hopefully), and if all goes well, driving it home.

6. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Took the 3-speed shifter off the column today and put it on the floor. I know it's not everyone's cup-of-tea, but I've read thread after thread about the linkage from the column getting worn and binding up and having to occasionally free it up when it jams, and I really just prefer it on the floor anyway. Just need a cool shift knob. Anybody got one laying around they might wanna part with?

Bled the brakes but didn't seat the new shoes first, so I hyper-extended the piston on the front passenger side wheel cylinder. I figured, since I'll essentially have to rebuild the cylinder anyway, why not use new stuff, right? Picked up wheel cylinder rebuild kits for all four wheels, hoping to get it all hashed out and stopping on its own by COB Tuesday. Once the brakes are done, all I have to do is find the pressure switch that makes the brake lights light up and replace it, and throw some good rubber under it, and it's driving time!

Attached Files:

7. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Man, I really had no idea at that point, did I. Here we are at May 31, and it has been driven about a mile and a half. I guess it needed a little more TLC than I first thought, huh? I just read over a few of my first few posts, reviewed some of my initial plans for the car, and my initial thoughts on condition, etc. I couldn't believe some of the plans I was actually considering! Kid in the candy store syndrome, I guess.

As mentioned in a previous post, I wanted to figure out A) where I was going with this project... Well, that's changed. A LOT. May as well take a minute to revise that and beg for forgiveness at the same time.

I still want to lower it, front and rear, but it is not a necessity to drive the car, which comes first. I plan to do the flip and swap spindle trick on the front and 3" blocks on the rear.

The turbine wheels are out. Original steelies in black with gold pinstripes and original dish/beauty rings are the plan. Just need to find some rubber. Sorry guys, they WILL be radials, and if you have to question why, look at my avatar. 'Nuff said.

The interior will be done in dark toreador red metallic/black/oxblood. Classy, sinister, and sharp. Just put the shifter on the floor, so that was one thing I REALLY wanted to get done checked off the list.

Engine will continue to be the 235 inline 6 that was in the car when I bought it, but it will be converted to 12V as soon as $$$ permits. This 6V bullshit is for the birds, and I need a GD radio.

The exterior, well, I'm on the fence about that still, but I've got some ideas. I'm liking the patina under clearcoat A LOT, but I'm actually considering taking it one step further. Stay with me here...

Thinking about sanding the rust down smooth, sanding the original finish and blending it into the rust/steel, but before shooting the clearcoat I might do a nice, crisp, bright flame job coming off of the front hood emblem and either headlight ring. Almost as if to say, "Yeah, that's rust-stained steel under the clearcoat. Fuck you, it's supposed to be there, no, I didn't just get lazy and not paint the car first, and these nice crisp flames are proof that this paint job is finished AND the way I intended it to be. Don't like it? Tough shit." Flames on satin are done often, patina jobs are being done more and more often, but I haven't yet seen a marriage of the two. I think the contrast between old and new sealed under clearcoat would be interesting. Thoughts?

The grille and bumpers, bezels, etc. are NOT getting re-chromed. I plan to take everything down to base metal and clearcoat IT as well.

I don't WANT a show car that I'm afraid to park in the Harris Teeter parking lot while I go in to pick up some dinner, or that I would freak out about if a stone hit the door while I was mowing the grass. I want a car that grabs your attention when you see it rolling down the road or in a parking lot without being over the top. Hit me with your thoughts amigos!

8. 35desoto

35desoto

You'd be surprised how many of us read your updates - I just cant think of anything worthwhile to add other than keep up the good work - I enjoy reading about your progress - whether its frustrating or not

9. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

LOL, really? As much dumb shit as I do and as indecisive as I've been as to what the finished car will look like? On second thought, maybe it's better that I don't get any comments! Thanks for reading! It's always nice to have someone along with you on a long ride.

10. Saxman on here does some cool shift knobs, I have seen them on his website 1954 design company,...makes me wish I had a floor shift instead of the column!!

Enjoying the rambling as well :)

11. RamJet1

RamJet1

I'm new, but I'm here and reading. Love to see progress as it is inspiring. Keep up the good work.

12. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Thanks guys! It's nice to know someone is in the passenger seat once in a while. Its been a pretty lonely ride so far, LOL. :eek:

13. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

I've already checked out Saxman's shift knobs, and quite honestly, they are just TOOO DAMN NICE for what I'm building, LOL. Those things are BEAUTIFUL! I'm looking for something to grab hold of when I shift, and what he's putting out is show car quality stuff. I'd spend more time buffing it and shifting with the chrome stalk for fear of smudging it! Although, if he produced a H.A.M.B. knob like the one in his signature, I'd probably buy a couple... :D If I may quote a line from Wayne's World, "We're not worthy!"

14. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

I am a VW guy but I read many of the posts here. Yours included. I love to watch you guys save an old classic and bring it back to life. I am enjoying watching your progress. Stay focused, one part at a time and you'll get there. I have had my car torn apart for a year. I set a date to have it back on the road, new paint job and wiring. So with that in mind I am finally making progress. Keep posting I'll keep reading.

Mike

15. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Thanks Mike! I've got some old VW stuff around and access to some old V-dubs. Lemme know if I can ever be of any help!

16. CJ 56 hemi

CJ 56 hemi
    from NJ

Love the car and your passion. Keep it up... As for barn finds although not HAMB friendly here is mine. Parked in 1987 and resurrected in 2009...1969 Coronet next to my 68 satellite...

Attached Files:

17. Smokey2

Smokey2

You, Can Call it a "barn Find "
    IF ? you want's toooooooo........

I never believed, That persons sold their Ride, buy just havsomeone "pull them over , whole Driving ",
    Until it HAPPENED !
    Did particularly want to sell "the Car",
    1933 Studebaker four-dr. with Dual side mounts.........So I priced it to whwere (I thought !), wood knock tha' guys "Richard" up into his Watck Pocket !

He bought the Car !
    Good things Happen fer a reason sometimes ..........A week later I founf '34 Ferd Phaeton, For Sale ", and fortu-nut-lee, Had the Dollars, after sellin' tha' Stude to buy IT,,,,,,,,,,,JNice,?? Yes, I could have driven it Home !, That's NICE !!

Have A Great / Wonderful Day./......I Yam !
    Smokey Also

18. Ha, I am sure you are worthy,...just think of the joy you would get rach time you shifted with it. You wouldnt need to polish it, your hand would do that when you used it! :)

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Sounds like a rat rod... :eek: get rid of the rust.

20. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Rust does not make a rat rod, and that term has been completely romoved from my vocabulary due to the 40 lashings I received at the onset of this thread. The "patina finish" is quite popular on here from what I've seen. The "Old Gold" post was what got me hooked on the idea. It turned out beautiful. I think I might be able to turn out something visually intriguing with just what's on the car now, and if it turns out looking like a junker when I'm done, well, then I can investigate some other "color" options. Nothing is set in stone yet, but the chisel is out...

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Sanding rust smooth is not patina. The rust does not stop. And clear coating over rust, again not bright. Do it right.

22. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Well, zman, I respect your opinion, and you've been around here a lot longer than I have. You're right down the road from me, so perhaps once she's running and driving (pretty much looking at re-doing the brakes and getting some rubber) maybe I'll drive on down and we can talk about some other options for a finish over a beer (or six). I HAD hoped it would be on the road by now, but that didn't happen. Its been one little thing after another. I'm definitely open to suggestions.

23. Good score, looking good so far. Michael

24. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Thanks Michael! How's the house huntin' going? Wish I knew of anywhere, but the furthest north I tend to get is Winston-Salem.

25. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Probably could have sat there for a million more years if you hadn't bought it. Have fun with it, learn as you go, and enjoy. Good luck man.

26. droptop 63

droptop 63
    from Texas

It is like hunting for gold with another type of metal detector. I have been lead to a few still in the barn over the years but the families still will not part with them.

27. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

While this is my 12th classic (or 13th, I lost count), this is my first with a 6V system, and the oldest I've done. Which is why I've decided not to go full-on resto. Yyyyyyyep, I'm learning something new every day! Lol

28. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

MYSTERY WHEELS!!!

I dropped by the local salvage yard this morning in hopes of scoring a set of decent matching 15" tires for my stock '53 steelies, which I finally finished in black epoxy paint this morning around 3AM. After walking the entire yard for about an hour and a half, I headed inside to chat up "Shorty", who pretty much deals with all the round rubber things that come across the scales. I told him what I was looking for, what size, and what condition, and he said that off the top of his head he didn't know of anything, but to stop back in around 4 o'clock and he would try to have something for me. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I see a tall stack of wheel and tire just off to my right... I think the chrome caught my attention.

At first glance they looked like Cragar S/S wheels. Really wide ones. But when I flipped the top one over, it became apparent that they were NOT Cragars. I looked all over the inside, hit it with a wire brush, sprayed it with soapy water and wiped it dry... nothing. I can't find a single marking on the back of this wheel anywhere. I'm betting it is on the outer rim, and I'll probably never know for certain who made them until I need a new set of rubber. The tires on them are just fine for now, and I doubt I'll be replacing them any time soon. I snapped them up for a flat $100 for the four and headed back to see if they fit the '53. Well, what do y'all think?

After wiping off the dust I found FLAWLESS chrome beneath on all four. Another $35 at Pep Boys (only because they stock a shit-ton more lug nuts than anyone else) and I was on my way back to the shop with my new wheels and lug nuts.

Here are the facts; They LOOK like Cragar S/S wheels, EXCEPT that where the Cragar S/S wheel has a cast center these are stamped steel with a secondary backing plate welded behind. They are unilug Chevy. They are (all four) 10" wide I believe, but, again, with no external markings I'm not sure. WHO MADE THESE WHEELS?!? One wheel had an "international" center cap, but I have no idea whether or not it was original to the wheel, and I can't find any info on any International Wheel Company.

If you know who made these wheels, please let me know. I don't really care except for the purpose of knowing, but as of right now I haven't got any answers. I just know they're in awesome condition, and I like the way they look on the '53.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  29. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

Guess I need to hurry up and get this one on the road so I can make room for the next project... Solid 1952 Chrysler Windsor, 4 door, Hemi, no rust no rot, runs and drives. I'm going to need to widen my driveway before too long.

30. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

OK, the following was actually part of another thread, but I decided to copy/paste them here as part of the history of my build.

Thursday June 14th, AM;
    Well, I'm going to basically start at ground zero this morning, which means the VR and the genny are both getting pulled. The genny is getting cleaned up and checked out and put back together. As stated in my 53 build thread (quite possibly the most unread thread on the HAMB), the original Delco generator was pulled and replaced with a (eeeeeeeeecccchhhhh) MOPAR generator just because of availability, price, and it was clean. I can rebuild the Delco and swap it back in, and monkey with the VR until I get it set right. At idle I'm getting ONE volt. Yyyyyup. Revving it takes it up to a whopping 1.4, or even as high as 1.6! LOL. Yeah, we have a problem. Hoping to get everything worked out today and drive it home.

Oh, and Beans... I know you're gonna check out this thread at some point today, so I gotta say once again "Porknbeaner was right about something ELSE". You'll be happy to know that after driving the car for a short jaunt, I have decided to put a GD muffler on it rather than straight pipes. In the 4 miles it actually drove, the straight pipes thoroughly got on my nerves. I have a half dozen Flowmasters laying around, so guess what it's getting for the time being... But, YOU WERE RIGHT 'ol chap. Point, Beans.

Thursday, June 14th PM;
    Okey dokey, I THINK I got it all straight. Pulled the VR and tossed it into the shit heap from the get-go, swapped in the brand frikken' new MOPAR VR I pulled from the '52 out at the salvage yard when I pulled the genny. Drilled some holes and bolted the bitch to the firewall, ran new wiring from the generator to the VR, popped a lead from the BAT. to the GEN. tabs on the VR, then fired it up. Sonofabitch if I didn't get a reading on the dash that said I was getting current! I even let the car run for a bit, turned it off, then re-started it a few times just to make sure. All seems well with the charging system now.

SOOOOOO, I ran it up to the gas station for its first official fill-up from a pump, not a red plasitc jug, and whaddaya know... I heard waterfalls. FUCK!!! Need a new gas tank. Not sure where I'm going to dig up $190, but I guess I sorta have to if I want to drive it. I've already patched the tank with epoxy putty twice, and I'm tired of chasing leaks at this point. I'm thinking temporary fuel cell.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and advice. One more stumbling block that has been steady kicking my ass for the past two months out of the way. The HAMB rocks!

ALSO, put a Thrush glass-pack on instead of the straight pipe... WOW what a difference. I sounds exactly how I wanted it to sound from the beginning. Beans was right again!