Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rego scheme in South Australia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sled56, May 30, 2012.

1. graham_paige

graham_paige
    from Australia

Rat remember most of that $675 is made up of compulsory 3rd party, the actual rego part is usually only $25 or $50.

This is how they made it cheaper, it is pro-rata of the 3rd party

2. I know this mate - I was simply saying that you can only drive ONE car at any given time that's all...

The actual rego fee according to the docs is $226 in Vic, am paying it this week so its current.

RIP OFF

Rat.

3. Any one for a beer?

4. A tub

A tub

id like to hear more on this subject as im from s.a . do tellllllll???????????????

5. AV88

AV88

Yup I'm in south oz and think the rego logbook scheme is a good idea , I have a hotrod and a custom and am in the process of building two more hotrods , the registration cost for all four would be $2760 , each one cost around $880 a year , now with this logbook scheme I can have them all registered for about $600 a year that sounds like a good plan to me

6. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

me......

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That works out fairly close to the same as us paying for our registration which runs me about 50.00 US on the 48 and then paying for the liability insurance that is required by most states which in my case adds about 30 a month to my policy. It looks like your 675 gives you a lot better insurance than my 360 does me though.

As a comparison my liability insurance (third party) costs 1080 a year for three vehicle and the registration on the three vehicles runs around 150 for the three making it a total of 1230 a year for the three. With two drivers one is always sitting.

Having to fill out a log book every time I get in the govt vehicle for work, filling out a log book is pretty easy and simple if it saves that much money on a car that only gets driven for fun and only 90 days a year. Date, start time, starting mileage, maybe start location and destination don't take long to write down.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome has kicked in........:D

Ray

9. Regulations I guess.

Our regs vary from state to state. For instance in good old missouri you can run a historic tag on any older car. My '61 Willys has historic tags for instance, at least until the get the title sorted out. You get saftey inspection once and never renew the tags. The down side is that you are limited to your yearly mileage and are only supposed to drive to and from parades ot shows. You are supposed to keep a log book. The seldom enforce it.

10. Coupe Deluxe

Coupe Deluxe

Mr48chev,

I also live in Washington State and have collector plates. ONE TIME registration. No further costs or fees. I drive anywhere, anytime and have never been pulled over or questioned by anyone. Am I missing something or confused?

11. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

The log book is not a pain and very easy to fill in.
    date, event or travel destination name of driver and signature.

12. echnidna

echnidna
    from Australia

Yeah but in Vic you can even put a historic vehicle (ie a car or truck over 25 years old) on red club plates for a bit over $100 a year, The log books a pain as Al Zymer kicks in sometimes and I forget.

13. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

NZ scheme is $111 per year, with unlimited use for vehicles first available for rego over 40 years ago. Full rego for newer vehicles is $287 annually. But NZ govt requires that your car must have 60% of original chassis & 60% of original body to qualify for the concession.

So new frames, and fibreglass bodies dont qualify until they are 40 years old. And you cant call them after what they look like either.

So with a new fabricated chassis, my wifes factory steel bodied Fiat Topolino is a 2006 LVVTA (Low Volume Vehicle Technical Assn) Fiat Topolino replica. The Govt man told me its so we dont try to pass our cars off as original, so I suggested they call it a 1937 Fiat Topolino Hot Rod, but that was too hard for them

14. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

believe me, with our current fed government,no chance of that happening

15. striper

striper

Not really. But when it has been so dark for so long, when you see a glimmer of light through a crack in the wall, you run towards it.

16. reefer

reefer

I never realised that you guys had restrictions like that.I thought that over here would have had the most, but it seems, for the present at least, we have it pretty good, ie, we pay no road tax on pre `73 vehicles,registration is free, and they have just last week announced that they are scrapping the annual M.O.T.test for pre`60 vehicles..we have no limit on driving days, but most insurance policies state ,say, 5000 miles a year before you have to pay a bit of top up if you want to go further....my last car, a stock 32 roadster cost me £125 fully comprehensive cover with roadside recovery thrown in, on a collectors policy.

In saying this though, there is a lot of restrictions over on the mainland and the meddling polititians are trying to harmonise the laws across the whole of Europe...I can`t see them harmonising it our way, so I guess it`s enjoy it while we can.

17. hudson48

hudson48

I just meant the whole scheme,where you are limited to only 90 days use
    whereas in Qld you could drive everyday if you wanted(but not to and from work).The annual fee is $200 for a hot rod on LH9 and a similiar fee on a classic over 30 years old on "S" plates.

18. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

The saving sure makes it worth while and in fact the vehicle I have on red plates cost me over $800-00 a year. Drove it 11 days last year on Red plate permit, so why pay a full rego ?

I keep the log book in a place that is easy for me to see it before I drive off ;) otherwise Al Zymer can be a pest. Mind you you can drive a short distance from the home base and still be legal and not have to fill in the log book.

Last year I had 90 days for one vehicle and only used it 11 times so this year I renewed for 45 days and if I run out I just purchase another 45 days.Will work out cheaper for me this year as I doubt I will even use 45 days.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  19. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Question mates.. What happens when you go long distance?? Do the other states honor what "rego's" the others have in effect??

20. Over here it's a bit of a joke. I struggle to understand the concept of it all (apart from deep pockets from insurance & govt)...my green slip (third party) is more expensive than my daily, but it's rarely driven as often.
    I also think they should have a single third party (ie on your license), don't understand how i can drive both vehicles at once..but then that means Mr Insurance has a thinner bottom line...

I do like the idea of a limited rego (time spent on road & lower costs) but the idea of having to get a permission slip if I'm further than a few k's from home on a non event day put me off. But that's NSW for you....

21. Historic or conditional rego works just like normal rego in other states.
    The log books are a snap, hell , I would would write out the whole " War and Peace" book before each trip to save some bucks. i have had a few cars on this scheme, and never gone even close to 90 trips a year, and most blokes i know are the same. But since the scheme started, the price has gone up abou 10 bucks a year, but it,s still cheap. You also get a good rate from your insurance company if it is on conditional \ historic rego. You have to be a member of a recognized club though, to be eligilble. All they have to do now is allow modified Left hand drive cars on the road here, and i will be a happy little vegemite.
    (for those who don't know, the only way you can get a Left hand drive vehicle on the road in South Australia is if it has NO modifications from stock).

22. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

When i lived In Sydney i thought about getting a Rod out there. Spoke to a few guys and they all found the restrictions pretty bad a times. Plus there was no way i could afford a Rod, didn't see anything under about $25k that was NSW rego'd etc. All the time i was there i ended up driving early 60's crusiers. Had EH/HR Holden wagons and a really nice 2 door Falcon. Sydney motor cops are pretty hot aswell, had enough problems in my Falcon let alone a Rod.

Wish i was there now though, pissing down here as usual:(

23. ken1939

ken1939

Mate, we all have issues with our "local speak" Sometimes people I hear from Pittsburgh talk and it makes me feel ashamed to be from here!:D

24. sled56

sled56

The only issue I have with the log book registration is that I have to join a club that is sanctioned to carry out the annual inspection and hand out the log book. I haven,t been in a club for years and have even considered starting a very basic, no BS one just to cater for a few mates and myself so we can use the log book scheme. It,s been enlightening to see what other hambers have to do regarding rego, seems our new scheme is a step in the right direction compared to what we have had in the past, time will tell.
    Hemiman, I can drive anywhere in Australia as long as my log book is filled out, one entry covers 24 hours use.

25. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

jeez u guys really get hammerd, here in ohio u buy a historical plate for about thirty bucks good for fifty years without renewing, insurance is about 1/4 of a daily driver we have restriction on driving but are not enforced, as long as it is considered a club event u can go wherever u want. man i feel for u dudes

26. A tub

A tub

yeah you guys over there are very lucky in many ways, but unfortunately rules are rules and we have to follow them which makes it harder but not impossible for us . however on the bright side, this is more of a solution than a problem for everyone in our state, its a positive not a negative and we have to grab every opportunity thrown our way,
    im sure every one would be so thankful if we had a system in place like u guys dorf we'd all think its bigger than christmas haha
    just remember how lucky some of u are and be happy for the fact we are getting a little bonus thrown our way:):):cool:

27. oldsman41

oldsman41

where i live if its 25 years old you can buy an antique plate one time about 40 bucks depending on what taxing district your in.

28. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Western Australia does not honor any permit schemes when you travel and I am told all you do is get some type of permission to travel to Western Aust.

29. RobC

RobC
    from Australia

NSW rego is about as expensive as it gets in Oz I think. Don't forget too that our third party is only third party personal, doesn't cover any property as it does in the US. It also has road tax, weight tax and GST in there.
    It could be worse, when I drove an '84 C10 in Calif. in the late 90s the only company that would insure me stiffed me for $US900 for six months liability insurance, this when our dollar was only about $US0.75 and I had to drive to San Fran. and pay cash. That hurt!!

30. ems customer service

ems customer service

you mean like this

fordo

chevyo

bigblocko

hot rodo