Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this truck worth the asking price? - '57 Chevy 3100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, May 28, 2012.

1. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Man where Im from i would say ablout half of what he wants is more realistic. Some guys are just convinced there stuff is worth more than it really is!

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

if it were mine, i woulda took 7 grand for it.

maybe the silence means he's thinking about it?..it wasnt a NO!

3. gas pumper

gas pumper

Squirrel is right.

This guy made a big mistake and is looking to you to bail him out.

4. NoPaint

NoPaint

$7,000.00 for that!? You ruined it for him. Now when the next 200 people show up with $3,000 he won't sell it since he thinks you'll be back.

5. That's one of those things that gets worse when you pull it apart. Always count on a worst case scenario when it comes to old trucks and rust.

Bob

6. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

its worth $4000 at the most! It needs body work, you dont love the drivetrain, rear end questions, you dont know the rest untill you get in to it. come on think about it. Just the brake upgrade is big bucks. "even if you love it dont fall in love with it" good luck, I just dont want to see you spend too much-

7. is that a factory radio in that dash.....just sayin'.....

8. badshifter

badshifter

Anyone can wave cash at a buyer. Try luring him into a quick sale by waving a check!

9. From reading all the good advice it seems that in a more rust free area like Texas these trucks are cheaper. As we have talked about my 57 and price I thought I would give my opinion. First off the good point is it is a big back window truck....they are the most desired.......57 is not as nice as the 55-6 grille but done right they can look good too. I would say that if the truck was more of a survivor with correct driveline and rear it would be worth at most 5k. Being in the northeast the options for getting more truck for the money would be to import a west coast or Texas truck. More and more finished vehicles are showing up for good deals too, so keep looking and consider buying up to save time and money. Buying into a heap will only cost you in the end, unless you plan on just buying and driving as is. I also would consider finding a project that someone has done a lot of the grunt work on.......i recently looked at a 55 Ford PU with tons of new goodies, tubbed with a fresh big block and all work done ready for paint. My buddy bought it and may not do anything with it but he landed a nice deal, so the deals are out there but you do not always get there in time, possibly check out some truck forums, the truck in the picture really needs too much and once you would tear into it to fix the necessaries you will have another 10K into it because it is tough to stop half way. There is a truck show in August at the Carlisle fairgrounds too that is not too far off with some older trucks for sale occasionally. Hope this helps.:)

10. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

Isn't that the truth though...how many times have you heard a seller say "Well I turned down xxxx two months ago" and he ends up selling it for half that amount later! I've said it myself a few times too...

11. spiders web

spiders web

maybe with a big block ford engine I'd go 6500 but all original 4K max

12. belair

belair

13. Too steep at $8K...that'll buy you a pretty damn nice truck around here. I couldn't see more than four grand, personally.

14. devilleish

devilleish

The rearend could very well be original, my '55s original H033 rearend and the '58 H035 in it now have a drop-out centersection AND a bolt-on rear cover. Ratio probably hovers around 3.90 to 4.10 in it, the first being a bit more common in the V8 trucks (mine is an original 265 truck with the same engine it was born with).

15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I normally hold back on opinions, but since the point of the thread was the direct question...

It seems like WAY too much to me. That being said, I guess it depends on whether you have found exactly what you want and whether another example will come along or not. My experience is that there never seems to be another good deal behind the one you are looking at... until you pay the money... and then there are all kinds of "would ofs", "should ofs"...

I bought a car on ebay that way, and way over payed, because my heart was making the decision. I should have waited and been more patient. I found out later that the vehicle I paid $5500 for had been purchased two weeks earlier by the seller for $2900. I justified it to myself that I found exactly what I wanted and that it didn't really matter, but the car was really only worth what the previous guy paid for it...

On a truck, a lot of my decision would be based on the general condition of the body MINUS any rust issue. In other words, trucks are usually dented, dinged, damaged and in general screwed up where it takes a TON of money to get the body right. Does this one have real neat fitting doors, fenders, hood, etc? Are the panels very, very straight minus the need for patch panels? Does the tail gate need replaced? If it is exceptionally good except for minor rust, I guess it might be a good leaping off point to start on.

You already know you are likely in for everything though to get it right. I am not sure why people don't buy a $1500 example and then do everything, or buy someones else's dream that already has most everything done and is a much more solid driver at about $12000. Having already been down both roads more time than I care to think about, I would be much more likely to buy the very best example I could find, in other words the 12-15K truck that someone is losing their butt on, then a vehicle that needed 12-15K worth of work to be worth the same (not even including the 8K buy in).

By the time you go new wood, body work and paint, glass, rubber, new chrome, engine, trans, rear, interior, you might just as well buy a nice one... or buy one that is MUCH cheaper to start.

Just an opinion... You asked for it!

PS: I just sold this old 66 for $1,350 and it needed everything including cab corners, new wood in the bed, new front fenders, etc, but then the buy-in was right for the new owner and he had PLENTY of cash to play with to get started towards his dream.

Attached Files:

16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

PS: I know it is not the same... But this is pretty sweet and more the condition I would be looking for and expecting in your price range.

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/classifieds/classifieds.php?a=2&b=38599

Stock 1958 Chevrolet pick-up truck. Runs great and mostly original. Excellent for street rodding or keeping stock. Owner asking $9,000. Call Jim

Attached Files:

17. mad-cad

mad-cad

Get a dry state truck with no rust,running and driving for between 2-3K,the guy selling this one is nuts!!
    I just sold this 56 GMC 300 for $1200 factory pontiac V8 running driving truck without any rot.
    [​IMG]
    When I bought my 59 Apache for $2000 it looked like this except for the cheap chrome wheels.
    [​IMG]
    Shop around do some more leg work.

18. For that price it should be in great driving condition.with some nice finished upgrades.You will find another one for half that price.

19. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Sounds like you've made a generous offer, so keep looking. Perhaps you'll get a phone call from him later. If not, the hunt is part of the fun.:D

20. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Last year I sold my 55 second series on ebay. Clean truck, big back window,running driving with original 235 and granny 4 speed. Rear was upgraded to a 69 model with 3.55 gears and posi. I had it painted about 4 years previous, paint was presentable, not show quality, just started to get a few rust bubbles since I couldn't garage it. That was the reason I decided to let it go. The steering and suspension were in good shape, the steering box was tight.

I got 6700 for it. I figured it was worth closer to 10k but that was all the market would bear.

I say keep looking. Much better deals out there.

Devin

21. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Again, thanks to everyone for their input.

Redline - You're right, nice truck, but I just sold a '59 Apache so that I could start looking for a '57.

Funny thing is that most people talk about the deals they've seen in the recent past, and I don't think that they're bullshitting me. Problem is, I never seem to see those deals, or when I seem them, the truck is gone.

Anyway, I'm made the offer, they guy is silent, and I'm not going to pursue it any longer. I'm not sure I'd take it now even if he got back to me. I'll just keep my eyes open, check Ebay, Craig's list, the HAMB, Stovebolt, etc to see what pops up in the next few months. I'm really busy at work so I don't have a ton of time for a new toy anyway.

Chris

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would think for that much one could be found that you can get in and go.

23. petiesrods

petiesrods

Good advice so far. Your final plans for truck play a big part in the purchase price...especially on the 57. The economy tanking really hurt the truck market too. Doesn't take too long to get upside down in a truck project. You made a generous offer...I'd keep looking too.

24. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

$4000.00 Would be HIGH on spectrum around here. Especially with all the rust. There is no way that truck is worth what he is asking. keep shopping and you will find a better deal. There are lots of these trucks out there for sale and everyone starts out asking alot. Hell I wish that thing was worth 8 grand I would be stoked on what it would mean for mine! ( would never sell so i guess it doesnt matter ) but you get what Im saying...

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

add searchtempest.com to your list for looking at craigslist.

26. centex

centex

When he turned down the $7k, two fools had met.

Ive checked out the 55-57 trucks for a couple of years. Very few sell and I would be surprised if the lower priced (and poorer conditioned) ones are what is available. Occasionally, there are some deals and occasionally people pay to much (Monterey). Id sell my 57 for $7k if it was junk. Its not and I wouldnt take $12k.