Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects OT: Ratrod reckoning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELpolacko, May 23, 2012.

1. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I 100% agree with Dreddybear`s sentiments. It`s obvious,ELP is a master artesian of his craft;and a pleasure to observe. Thanks for sharing your talents.

2. Let no good deed go unpunished.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Thirty years into the future...
    "Hey! I found an ORIGINAL PERIOD ratrod from 2010 in a barn!! STOLE that sucker for only $50,000 from the old guy's widow! But it's been messed up a bit over time, and I'm going to RESTORE it to authentic RATNESS like back in the DAY!!! Could you cut away all this forged crap and make me a new steering system out of this AUTHENTIC CHINESE REBAR I found on Ebay? It needs some vintage razor blades welded to the dash...and make me a new floor out of this authentic rust from a 2010 dumpster...and fix the brake lines so they drag on the ground and make KOOOOL SPARKS...then I'll be a shoo-in at Pebble Beach when it's AUTHENTIC again!"

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I've been into interconnected suspension (2CV, '55-'56 Packard, BMC Hydrolastic) for ages. The principle can redefine the limits of hot-rod chassis. Here is another sidebar that Ryan graciously tolerates, in which I investigate this stuff.

5. fsae0607

fsae0607

Load bearing [suspension] bolts in single shear :eek: = piss poor engineering!

Wow now I really see the disdain for rat rods around here because of this car!

6. Muttley

Muttley

I'm really annoyed that I cant read the screen name on that tag.

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Single shear is fine if you calculate sizes accordingly. But a smaller bolt in double shear is likely to make for a lighter assembly overall.

8. fsae0607

fsae0607

True, IIRC the Brits used to do that back in the day, but their bolt sizing was akin to bridge hardware!

When I was in college in my Automotive Engineering course, we were taught to try to always place all load-bearing suspension bolts in double shear. It's just good practice.

Might I add I also noticed this chucklefuck has grade 5 bolts in his suspension, some in bending!

Truth be told, I like the RR look, but this type of "engineering" they do goes against everything I learned in my Mechanical Engieering undergrad. It's also stuff like this that gives us Greasy folk a bad name.

I would like to thank the H.A.M.B for opening my eyes to the whole RR fad. Now I see the light!

9. ken bogren

ken bogren

Thank you!

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

LOL, I looked too...

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

12. Whether this car started as a stocker/rat rod/resto rod/pile of parts/etc...... doesn't matter to me. We all prove regularly that it doesn't matter what you start with, it's the end result that counts.

The end result of the Scud Hud may not be the definition of a "traditional hot rod" but I'll go ahead and bet that it's going to be far cooler than most of the naysayers will be willing to admit. I'd also bet that someone has read this thread and been moved to re-think a questionable design/component on his own project.

We can all learn from El P's outstanding fabrication skills even if we don't employ the same design in our next project. Personally, I find it pretty interesting to see a well-designed chassis of this type come together.

JH

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  13. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

A question keeps bothering me about this thread: where was the owner while the first "shop" was excreting this steaming pile? Out of the country? ... in prison? ... in a coma? It's hard to believe the owner wouldn't say enough and cut off the money before it got to the point where El Polacko stepped in.

14. Ignorance and naivety

Non hot rodder engaging in his first build. Trust that the people he hired would do a good job.

15. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

And for this very reason, fellow HAMB members, is why we MUST continue to educate our neighbors, friends, family, people we meet at car shows, people admiring our cars in the parking lot, etc., into the knowledge available herein. We need to take an active role in helping novices with how a car should really be built. And actively passing our knowledge and experience down to our children, grandchildren, neighborhood kids, etc. How else are we going to keep the roads safe from the idiot-built trash running down the roads! And also keep our hobby/sport alive and well.

16. Can we have an AMEN!!!

17. AZAV8

AZAV8
    from Tucson, AZ

Our good friend Elp has to do some non-traditional work on occasion, to keep the doors of the shop open. You can follow him daily on that evil place called, Facebook. Its fun and you get to see some serious work. You can even make stupid comments on the work. I speak from experience.

18. Mark68

Mark68

Amen brother!!!!!

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

He's got web cams in the shop too, I've mooned those watching at home a time or two!

20. kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. chaddilac

chaddilac

Very nice work Steve!!!

22. LEFTY_

LEFTY_
    from The 702

Spoke to Steve today, Helluva nice guy, btw... were those pipe wrenches cast or forged??? lol

23. Sweet f**kn ride!

24. I wonder if Mr Funk realizes that he is fortunate to have the very strong beginnings of a potentially stellar hot rod?

If he catches a bit of the bug, and shrugs off the RR tendencies, he will hopfully be moved to complete this car into something he can be proud to drive for the rest of his days.

Who among us wouldn't be ecstatic to own a piece of work of this caliber, of Steve's work.
    I'd almost hate to cover that chassis with anything more than the minimum required for creature comfort and safety, just to watch it all work.

If this transformation doesn't convert Mr Funk, he's missing one great opportunity.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  25. OK! After several interuptions and a day at work I have weeded my way through this entire thread, drama and all. Amazing piece of automotive creativity was what I saw at the begining and although the final product has yet to be revield I would like to say to ElP, "You sir are a true craftsman" I humble myself before you.

26. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

y'kno, typical ass kissers that feel the need to please "the boss". Probably same individuals that feel the need to hate on anything they dont like and act as thread police.

Yeah dude, totally agree, i'd love to own this, and to be fairly honest, i dont think i could be bothered to own a hot rod. This should say something.

And those last pics are worthy of being framed, really motivates me to step up my standards, which are kinda low anyway :)
    I was so taken by the rear arms set up that i didnt really study the front, and damn it if it aint as intresting.

ElP i got a question. Did you use the roller bearing "bushings" you mentioned on my death squeak thread? can i se them? i also see you use heims, but how and why you choose one rather than the other?

27. davo461

davo461

RR, O/T, whatever, this 'thing' became da bidness.
    What a transformation.
    El P take a deep bow !

28. mortecai

mortecai

yeah I'm thinking he had a but-load of old connecting rods laying around!

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Personally, I think this thread has been one of the most interesting ones I've read in a long time. Steve has taken a car that was shockingly bad and is making it into what it should have been in the first place, if the owner had chosen the right people to build it. He probably saved the owner his life along the way too.

The theme of the car may not be what some of us would want, and maybe Steve doesn't particularly like it either, but he is a smart businessman and took on the job to make his shop some money........nothing wrong with that at all. Who says every job a business does has to be only what they like ? The end result will be that the customer will get a safe car built to his specifications and Steve's shop and employees will have some work that will make them a profit.

This is no different than what happens when we take our cars to a paint or upholstery shop. The owners of the shop may not like our color or design choices, but it is not their car. They are there to perform a service and to do the best job they can.........period.

Oh, and Ryan did the right thing in allowing this thread to continue. What reason should it have been closed in the first place ? It features a build displaying fantastic fabrication skills that will benefit a lot of us in our own builds.

Don

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  30. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

We can all agree on the car sucking,but the whole point to this thread is to marvel at El P's abilities in turning this pile of shit into a safe and functioning mound of excrement !