Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Clarence? He Needs Clearance...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 30, 2012.

1. Slick Steve

Slick Steve
    from Indy

How about take the hood off??

[​IMG]

2. jjsound

jjsound

Would something like this work? Perhaps a combination of these cut-n-stuck together?

Attached Files:

3. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

I could swear I just saw that whole mess yesterday with a chrome firewall behind it. Ya, put me down for the blister, or you could twist my arm, and I'll agree to a backward T-bird scoop.

4. our 57 bird has this stock scoop extended 5 inches forward never really looked until parked side by side with a stocker ....

who did it and why dunno
    we tell the story it was dual quad racer rear wheel cut outs and the gas tank fill
    /tank was put behind the driver too?

i do have a aluminum turkey roaster pan that would work and is of the correct vintage kinda looks like half a zeppelin
    or a couple early gelatin molds that are copper?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  5. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

I like scoops as long as they're functional. It's a good way to get a bit more clearance under the hood and let your engine breath a bit easier.

6. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

[​IMG]

I used the top portion of a 58 Ford... It's hard to find 50's scoops and the 60's look to modern...

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I cannot explain to you how bad I need this car...

[​IMG]

8. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Lower the engine mounts 2" problem solved!

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

A great example of taking advantage of an opportunity... That car is gonna rule.

10. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

If he went to a dry sump oil setup could he lower the engine?

11. I think he's related to Floyd Lippencott Jr. ;)

12. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Well, tar me and feather me! I had that itty bitty bit of suspicion he was. Now I can finally sleep at night knowing that tidbit of information. :)

Seriously.. There's a lot of great ideas on this thread. It's a shame I decided on a no-hood approach to my A.

13. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

tell "Clarence" we need to see pictures of his engine ;)

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ok, so no one found the fiberglass snorkle scoop idea even remotely funny? Can't win them all. In all seriousness, knowing the shape of a '38 hood, I can't wrap my head around the mid fifties T-Bird scoop looking like it grew there. I like Extreemliners scoop and I think it works because it runs the length of the hood. That might just be key in this deal to avoid looking like wart. I also can't help but keep coming back to the hood scoop on 50Fraud's "T". It kinda mimics the shape of the front of the hood.

Otherwise, I would be sorely tempted to run sans hood or simply do a nice contuored cutout around a Hilborn type scoop.

15. S.F.

S.F.

I have questions.... pm me...please...

16. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

My thoughts......

I think something really awesome could come out of this. I sketched down a few ideas, I will try and refine them later. I like the idea of a "t-bird style" scoop if done right, to help complement the lines, with out being over powering. I also think a simple, subtle blister would work. And then I got to thinking.....

A quick photo-chop:

[​IMG]

I think I am along the same lines as BOP-Nut, or maybe not...

17. Robinson

Robinson

What about a clear or color-tinted plexiglass scoop like some of the old drag cars?

Or maybe a shaker style (hood opening) using a finned cast aluminum style breather?

(Sorry no pictures, just ideas)

18. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Word.

19. Cerberus

Cerberus

The T-Bird scoop will be hard to come by. I cut one off a real T-Bird back in the 70's and had it on a daily driver '55 Chevy for about ten years.. Later removed it and made a mold of it to pull impressions. The problem with the the original steel T-Bird scoop is the end at the rear edge of the hood it does not make enough of a radius and you will have to fabricate that area. Check out pix. Another scoop I like is this early 70's Trans Am Shaker Hood scoop...good for tall tunnel rams. Almost mounted it on my '56 DelRay, but changed my mind because it's too hard to find an original '56 hood in perfect condition.

Attached Files:

20. how about slicing another hood say 2 3/4-3inchs from the top cut off th rear and reset it on top of the hood kinda doing a cowl vent thingie use all your trim etc
    bad photo shop cuz i do not have skills but maybe some one can

Clarence is my dads name so i have to be careful

Attached Files:

21. on the assumption that we're only talking about a small protrusion through a mid thirties for bonnet, then, being that these cars are 'art deco' in styling, I'd use a format that compliments that era, so....for me, I'd do my best to fit/adapt a 'thickstun' style scoop so it JUST peaks through the bonnetline.....like this

[​IMG]

If a thickstun scoop won't cut it, then I'd find something that went close in it's period styling, as I feel that a 'cover' or regular bump won't really compliment but rather detract, whereas a 'purpose' and complimenting scoop stands proud without being overbearing.

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

22. slammed

slammed

The scoop/blister will have to mimic the grill/windshield opening like the T-Bird does to a 'T" (!). The other offering's so far fit their theme's: race car/near by sheet metal shapes/ect. Your coupe will be difficult to pull off. Why, because prior attempt's failed over the last 60 years. Without the hood it will scream Hot Rod. A blended blister on a stubby/voluptuous coupe will be tough.

23. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

My late father ran into similar clearance issue when he added a Judson to the Ardun OHV flathead in on our family's 48 Mercury. He thought a little outside the box and opted for different air cleaner...from a Harley! May not work for Clarance, but it did for him.
    [​IMG]

24. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I love a beautiful engine. Not enough to ruin the lines on a late 30's Ford. If you want a scoop go for it but I think you need to think harder or farther outside of the box. Weigh your decisions carefully...

25. Cerberus

Cerberus

Actually, I think we need more info here.Why 2" more hood clearence? Is it so the carb/s clear? Is it for air cleaner space? If he needs more air cleaner space a custom plenum box with remote air cleaner might work. Been there. Done it.

26. 49oldscoupe

49oldscoupe

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Different animal.. but Clarence ain't no dope.

Attached Files:

• 4.JPG
      4.JPG
      File size:
      79.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      107.3 KB
      Views:
    • 4-1.JPG