Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Steering help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dne007, May 31, 2012.

1. Dne007

Dne007
    from Houston

Hi y'all! Ok, this is partially why I joined The HAMB! You are the experts, and well, I am not!
    So after thinking I went witha decent steering system for my 59 apache, I find someone saying I Will have bumpsteering issues! So somene mentions cross steering! I've been researching it, but haven't a clue how to go about making it happen! Oh, plus a Pan hard bar(which makes sense)!

I had Sid@droppedaxls overhaul my axle, no drop, but new king pin bushings, made the tie rod accept modern style tapered tie rods. Plus he sold me the Posie 2 leaf slider springs and all new bushings.

[​IMG]
    so I'm told the drag link isn't long enough and should have cross steering.
    I just need to be told what to do and where to find parts, or have a machine shop make a long drag link. I bought this system from Brothers on a half price sale. I do have an ididit column coming as I write from Scottshotrods.
    Ok, this should convey to you, my peers, as to how to proceed:D
    Dne'
    [​IMG]

2. So that is ths stock box in the stock location? Or you made a front steer out of it?

You have parallel leaf springs a pan hard bar while benificial should not be necessary and if you don't have a ton of drop bump steer should not be an issue.

3. badshifter

badshifter

Do some wheel clearance checking before you go too much further. I've removed 2 of those set-ups in the last few years because the tire hits the steering box when turning.
    You can mock-up with tube with holes in the end and bolts in place of tie rod ends. That will get you in the ballpark of what you are dealing with.

4. Dne007

Dne007
    from Houston

Thank you so much for responding! I apologize, this is not the factory steering gear, the photo below is the original product. I mounted the Saginaw gear underneath the front fender. It is a power steering gear. I mounted it as per the instructions. It's strongly mentioned that the short draglink and the angle at which it is will cause problems, that's where the idea of cross steering come to mind.

[​IMG]

5. 117harv

117harv

Not true, you just need to adjust the drag link steer arm so it's back to level. Is there a reason you are going power steering? Can you go with a manual vega box? It is much smaller and will give you tire clearance should the power box you show hit the tire.

6. Dne007

Dne007
    from Houston

Thank Ryan, I did take that into consideration, I mounted the wheels tha I have and the clearance is more than adequate. Plus there is an adjustable steering stop if I had an issue with tire clearance. I'd hate to know that I'd have to remove this new setup:(

I wanted power steering, this thing is a beast to turn, for me.

Before I had installed the new suspension.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  7. I have the pieces of that kit in a drawer at home. We bought the kit, followed the instructions, installed exactly as directed, drove it for a couple of months, hated it! Bump steer, it would bind in a tight turn, system turned easier one direction , hard in the other. Took it off and will use the pieces for making brackets or toss it once I get past being ripped off with a lousy product.

Have a Camaro sub-frame graft now and love it.

8. Dne007

Dne007
    from Houston

A brief history of this truck. I purchased it from a lady that was fixing it up for her son which was soon to graduate from college, unfortunately he was injured terribly from a motorcycle accident leaving him totally dependent on his mom. It is sad! I keep in touch with her and progress that I make( slow)! It was done backasswards, being painted before much other work needed to be done, but it's a decent project with nice paint job. I didn't want to paint another vehicle(hard work). It still needs much work and a lot more money.

9. Dne007

Dne007
    from Houston

My husband would shoot me if I told him that this steering isnt good. Im thinking relocat the gear more level, incorporate cross steering and a pan hard bar. Again, just figuring out where to get the parts and the particulars in placement of the gear being a little more meticulous in its design;)

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  10. Justathought, when did these trucks start having power steering? Could you use a P/steering box from a later chassis? I had a 65 stepside once, and it was a bitch in a parking lot! Especially after I put bigger tires on it.

11. Dne007

Dne007
    from Houston

I'll be back, have to get my chores done, and thanks, y'all are helping greatly!!!!
    Dne'

12. badshifter

badshifter

Right to the point. It is a poor design at best, and really unsafe at worst.

There is virtually no way to make it work correctly. It will always be a compromise for all the reasons stated above. Throwing good money and effort after bad will not make it better. Sorry!

13. squirrel

squirrel

The trucks that used an integral power steering box (starting in 67 or 68) had a much narrower frame at the front, so there was room for the steering box outside the frame.

Skinnier tires, wheels with less offset, a large steering wheel, and rebuilding all the stock parts results in a truck that's easy to drive with manual steering. I have a few of them.