Register now to get rid of these ads!

Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jorswift, May 31, 2012.

1. jorswift

jorswift
    from Indiana

OK all, I here is my car as it currently sits. I am wanting opinions on what to do with the rims. These were chrome basket wire wheels, but the chrome was bad and the wires were broken, so I cleaned them up and painted them. I like the spider cap, but I think it needs something else. They are size 15". Will a beauty/trim ring fit in the rim? Also, though about painting a red line on the lip. I want to get WWW tires, but currently budget limits me. Thanks.

2. jorswift

jorswift
    from Indiana

Current Car Pics

Attached Files:

3. 26 roadster

26 roadster

opinion............beauty rings and turn the white letters inside

4. The wheels aren't that bad......if you lose the white letters and paint the wheels GLOSS black, it would look better IMO. Nice car!

5. black tires/black rims w/trim rings.....nice old plymouth.

6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Trim rings, lose the white letters and maybe paint em shiny to match the car. A nice set of whitwalls wouldnt hurt either.

7. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Shave the white letters and make them white walls! takes patience to do it nice but can be done. Then trim rings and gloss black. BAM!

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you check the adds those are the same exact rims that one of the wheel manufactures are selling powder coated and pinstriped now. There was a big discussion on them a while back on here.

Baby moons won't fit those but a set of 15 inch Mopar steelies shouldn't be hard to come up with if you want to run moons. I'm with the others in that no matter what those white letter 4x4 looking sidewalls need to go.

9. I agree with the gloss black and trim rings. I think it would get you where you want to be until you can get your white walls.

Tony

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Grind the sidewalls to make whitewalls OR turn the lettering to the inside. Put on a set of fifties wheel covers.

11. cederholm

cederholm

Yep, I'm with these guys...

Nice car too!

12. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok

I like it just like it sits, or you could do white walls like 10,000 other cars. Looks mean and reminds me of a bootleggers car.

13. I couldn't agree more. That is a great looking Plymouth, glossy wheels and black walls would do a lot for it!

14. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Turn the tires around and paint the rims a gloss black. Nice car!

15. Chester

Chester
    from At work

This says it all.

16. badshifter

badshifter

Aside from the white letters, the tires are too big. They look like balloon tires. Leave the rims, buy tires.

17. oldolds

oldolds

WW's would do the trick. Try a set of full wheel disc's. Maybe some of those aftermarket Lancer spinners or behives. That could hold you over till you get the $$'s for WW's

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  18. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

This.

And drop the ass a bunch.

19. If you're on a budget (and who isn't) just paint those white letters. It's gonna cost you a few bucks to dismount, remount, re-balance all 4. I also like the idea of a double, very thin set of pinstripes. By the way, car looks great, except for those tires and kudos to you for using those old basket wire wheels after you ditched the wires. Hot rodders are the ultimate recyclers. We were doing it long before it became the in-vogue thing to do.

20. jorswift

jorswift
    from Indiana

Thanks all. I like all the ideas. I dont really want to get new rims, just fix'em up a bit. Will the beauty ring fit in them?

21. Or beauty rings and take a D/A to the sidewall and make wide whites.

The red pinstripe is going to be cheap and yes I would do it without question. I may want to throw some glossy paint on the wheel before I striped it though.

22. 26 roadster

26 roadster

yes, as long as they are not for deep rims. try speedway $25-30 each

23. Are those radial tires? If not, you might could install a set of the
    "porta walls" white wall rings to get wide whites cheap for now.

There are various styles of trim rings, so you might have to experiment
    to see which variety fits those rims best.

Are you running a flathead six, or has it been replaced with a V8?
    Nice looking Plym.

24. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Stick some black tape over the letters, stand back and get a better idea on what you might like.

25. jorswift

jorswift
    from Indiana

Yes, I am running radials and the original Flat Head 6. The car is all original except for the wheels and I gave the brakes an upgrade to disk in the front. I found some Trim Rings from Hubcap Mike that will fit. But since I already have red paint, I may give that a try first before spending the cash.

26. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

If you must keep those wheels, I would agree to go with high gloss black. Skip the striping, but add a chrome trim ring and turn the tires around to blackwall.

Since it would cost some bucks to fool around switching the tires around and rebalancing, I would be more likely to just save some bucks for some proper wheels for that otherwise great looking car. Some standard steel wheels with caps and rings would look great. It would also look good with a set of used as cast Americans or even slots.

27. Rob68

Rob68

Leave the wheels, get some WWWs and lower it a little. Looks great!

28. jorswift

jorswift
    from Indiana

I lowered the front a bit. I didnt lower the rear as I wanted a raked stance.

29. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Your P15 Plymouth coach(2-door sedan) is a goodie! In the Chrysler product lines fewer Coaches were made than any body except the convertibles and woodie wagons.
    Try a contrasting color for your wheels and see how it looks. Black car, black tires, black wheels just doesn't make anything pop. The stainless rocker moulding trim you're missing would make a nice difference too. All bodies use the same strips so they shouldn't be that hard to find.
    I was lucky enough to find a set of 50s Chrysler wires and used them on my 48 Coupe and 48 Woodie. When the chrome got ragged I blasted them and painted them. 2 are now on the Mullins glas trailer and the others waiting for the new Mullins.

30. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's raked the wrong way ;)