Register now to get rid of these ads!

new here with shoe box from melbourne, australia

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by manchild, May 30, 2012.

1. manchild

manchild

Hi my name is matt ,I've been lurking in the background here for a year or so now and thought i had better introduce myself.

I've always been into old cars and mainly owned old holdens but always wanted a chevy low rider, but in the last 3 or 4 years I have really gotten sucked right into early 50's rides and about 2 years ago imported a 49 tudor , aka the black pearl , from california(still working on getting it road legal) I have found so much information on this forum and look forward to learning more!

these photos are shit ,will post better ones when i get around to taking some,

cheers, matt

Attached Files:

2. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

Welcome to the H.A.M.B. from West Texas. Looks like a great car- have a ton of fun!

3. LuckyFordGuy

LuckyFordGuy

Welcome to H A M B I also have shoebox cars Rog Mn.

4. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

Welcome Matt! great !..another 'Boxer in oz. More the merry ;)

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Welcome from Finland!

6. Welcome to the H.A.M.B

7. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Welcome to the H.A.M.B.

8. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Welcome man. I'm not a shoeboxer anymore, some consider tri five chevs as shoeboxes but I don't. Maybe I'll get another Ford shoebox someday. Does it take a lot to get a car street legal in AU? A lot of people don't realize how lax the rules are here in the states. We can pretty much register and drive any pile of crap here as long as it moves and the lights work. (At where I live.)

9. manchild

manchild

Yeah dog dish it is definitely a lot harder here in oz to get older imported cars street legal especially if its modified , which is the problem i'm having as the chassis has been notched and its running a 302, its all gota be certified by an engineer which means big dollars, I pretty much had to go through the whole car as when it came of the boat in melbourne everything was about ready to fall off,pretty much no steering or brakes and a super sketchy air bag set up,the bags are gone now and it drives and stops awesome now but still got the engineering issue which i'm hoping to find a way around.

10. G,day mate and welcome ,got a 50 coupe myself........

11. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

Couldn't you just pretend that it's all stock? It's not like the idiots doing the inspection would know the difference? Or is it a whole different process that I'm not aware of? If you swapped a flathead back in the car it would seem that it would be pretty much stock at that point. It's just crazy what hoops they make you guys jump through.

It seems like having and driving old cars in other countries is a big $$ deal that only the select few can afford, but in the US it's a pretty low buck game that pretty much any joe blow gets to play. Because of that, there are a lot of cars being exported to owners overseas that are completely disgusted by the horrible (by their standards) condition of the cars when they arrive. It seems like a lot of guys in other countries expect a show car when they buy one from the U.S. but don't realize that here it's "just an old car" a lot of times thats been kept on the road and never really taken apart and done "right".

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  12. badgeree

badgeree

Welcome aboard buddy. All the jumping through hoops will be worth it, once you can legally and safely jump in and drive the finished cart, not a deathtrap.
    Buying a car from overseas, is the same as buying one, unseen, here.
    One persons idea of "Nice" can mean a pile of crap to another person, the same as "Done right", cetainly depends upon who "Done" it.

13. Welcome from inth middle of the MO. ;)zarks

14. manchild

manchild

yeah totally agree with what you're saying , its just that the budget is already stretched and the hoops they expect you to jump through are expensive hoops, really hoping to find a lenient road worthy guy and get it on a club rego,

15. graham_paige

graham_paige
    from Australia

welcome aboard from a fellow melbournian

16. ford X-100

ford X-100

I think I had driven past your car when i cut throw from high st to st georges rd ??? I had a 50 club coupe I am building and live in whittlesea ,I have not seen it for some time, sorry rude of me and name is Tony...

17. Welcome from north of the border....good luck the Ford!

18. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Welcome! Coool ford

19. manchild

manchild

yeah tony i used to live on hutton st where you woulda cut through,was parked on the street for the first couple months, living up the road in preston now.

20. Hey mat welcome to the hamb. An sweet spinner mate good to see more popping up. What's ur story. U should come on our trip to Sydney for motorex in that bad boy. My spinner was invited to the kalvilcade of Kustoms and a massive bunch of us are headin up. A heap leaving from melbourbe. Check it out on my Facebook if ur interested. Des Russell. Keen to see that car around. No doubt we have friends of friend with a car like that and being in melb.
    Cheers
    Des

21. manchild

manchild

Yeah spinners definitely seem to be on the rise here in oz , and the more the merrier I say for sure!

Hi des, I've been following your spinner build from the start , you and the boys are killing it for real! Would love to roll to Sydney in the 49 if it's legal by then, its a driver but it aint legal yet, I doubt we have any mates in common tho ,all my buddies are pretty much skater maggots that don't really play cars( tho they appreciate the spinner)
    I don't suppose you have any relaxed road worthy guys out your way, I'm try to avoid the engineers wrath, and no one on this side of town will do it,
    Cheers, matt

22. raymay

raymay

Welcome from New York.

23. Mat what's the deal with it for engineering. Is it bagged or different engine or what? There is a few pretty laid back guys down here but the new roady rules can make it hard. Get it on club reg. no roady required well our club at least. Hey that's cool I used to be a skater maggot back in the day. Only last year I bought a new skateboard ad skated down Venice beach in cali had to cause I was there and woulda been rude not to ha ha. There is an old dude down here that can barely speak English and named Carlo he has done some pretty dodgy roadies cause he didn't even know what he was looking at but if u gimme ur number in a message I can tell u a way u might be able to get It. Message me or whatever on 0402559056 would live to talk spinners anyway.
    Des

24. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Welcome from Tennessee.

25. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Welcome from Indy.

26. robleticia

robleticia

Welcome from Texas!

27. clarthepio

clarthepio

Thats a sweet looking 49'!!! HI from Karratha!