Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! 63 Impala/ belair owners wiring question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oddrod46, May 30, 2012.

1. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

I have no brake lights and Im trying to to search out the culprit. there is around plug under the dash mounted to the steering column with 4 or 5 male spade connectors. any Idea what plugs in there? thx I have a pic of it if someone can text me 770 402-8626 thx.

2. I think the plug your refering to is the wiring for the turn signal switch (which is in the brake light circuit). A couple common things I've had problems with on my Impalas is the bulb grounds through the socket when it clips in to the tailight housing and if its not tight causes problems, and if its running lights as well, not just brake lights try twisting the headlight switch knob, it is tied into the headlights, taillights, and dash lights, It will normally flicker the dash lights and you gotta twist (back and forth) until they stay on as they should.
    Good Luck!

3. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Do the rear turn signals work? If they do, do your cigarette lighter and horn work as they usually run off the same fuse as the brake lights. If they do, check under the dash on the brake light switch. They should be a constant 12 volts on one side and when the pedal is depressed there should be 12 volts on both sides. If so, then you probably have a bad turn signal switch.

One other thing to look for, check for a toggle swtch connected to the wires in the brake light switch. Some outlaws used to put a switch on the brake light circuit so they could run without lights in case they were being followed. [Not that I ever did that]

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

What would 'outlaws' be doing in a '63 Chevy? (LMAO)

5. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Ever hear of a 409 or a 427?

6. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

Do yourself a favour and put a proper ground wire on every taillight too

7. Paint

Paint

Fuckin' outlaws..............

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Thought that was OPTIONAL on Cheeevees! That pesky cigarette lighter always finds it's ways into wiring conversation.

9. 42ford

42ford

the turning signals both flash at the same time,rather you use the left or right. the running lights headlights and cigarette lighter all work horn is disconnected. thx

10. 42ford

42ford

this is oddrod46 btw on my bros screename

11. squirrel

squirrel

The brake light switch is round and has two wires connected to it, orange and white.

The turn signal switch has a 6 pin connector. If the switch is messed up, or the wires are messed up, then it will do weird things like that. But the wiring could be messed up anywhere on the car between the switch and the lights.

12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

So when you use the right turn signal both right and left flash and when you use the left turn signal both right and left flash?

The sockets need to be plugged into the tail light housing to ground properly and if they're rusty, you might have to clean some rust off to get them to ground. If one doesn't ground properly, the current flows through the tail light filament to get to ground on another socket. You might have to replace sockets if they're rusty on the inside so the bulb base doesn't ground. If you have to change them, try to get a universal socket with three wires instead of two so you can connect a ground wire.

If the grounds are good, you might have a bad turn signal switch.

13. stewedscrewdtattood

stewedscrewdtattood

14. Ground all your bulb sockets 1 will mess them all up

15. james bickell

james bickell
    from berryton

it is defintely a ground problem also check your bulb sockets those get nasty with age whn i was in the auto electris business that was a common problem with the older rides

16. xracer40

xracer40

I have a 57,000 mile all original 63 Impala and recently had to do some work on my turn signal switch. The plug you are referring to is for the turn signal switch. The brake light circuit runs through this switch. This switch also receives power from the turn signal flasher. When you turn on say your left turn signal, the switch breaks the circuit to the left brake lights from the brake light switch and makes the circuit from the flasher to the left brake lights. Vice-a- versa for the right brake lights. When the turn signal switch is in the neutral position, power from the brake light switch flows through the switch without interruption. However there is a contact which must be made in the neutral position for brake lights to work. Power to the brake light switch alone does not guaranty your brake lights will work.

Last edited: May 30, 2012