Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 Chevy build journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robleticia, Oct 26, 2010.

1. OldKustoms

OldKustoms

Nice job!
    Thumbs up

Wish I could lay down some primer on the cab of the F1

2. JRACER1

JRACER1
    from Bryan, Tx,

Great Job you two!!

3. Damn! Those lines couldn't be better. You're right that car should be x-rated

4. robleticia

robleticia

Thanks for all the kind words guys, it means alot! Gotta work the next two weekends in a row, sucks, but I need the $. Then I will get back back on it!

5. farmer12

farmer12

Looking forward to the progress Rob!

6. robleticia

robleticia

nothing to report, Doug, Jason and I have been working on a customers car. It was really rough, but it is getting close to being ready for paint. Then its back on our cars.

[​IMG]

7. robleticia

robleticia

Well I was able to squeez in a couple of hours on the '51 this weekend, not much progress, but it's the last of the rust repairs!!!!

Drivers side door sill..
    [​IMG]
    Out with the cancer
    [​IMG]
    new piece
    [​IMG]
    And all finished up...
    [​IMG]

8. robleticia

robleticia

I have been debating on getting rid of the wipers or not for a while now. I know I will probably get a ration of shit for doing it, but I sure like the clean look! So, since I had the tools out I went ahead and knocked them out too!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure what I am going to do about the notch in the beltline trim in these two locations, but we can worry about that later!

9. farmer12

farmer12

Nice work Rob. Good to see you got rid of the wipers, looking much cleaner!

10. That makes me wonder if you could hide the wipers like GM did around '68 or so, just put a troth in there with the wipers below the hoodline. Would be a ton of work, though.

11. robleticia

robleticia

That would be very cool!

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Looks great, giving a fo do some love is a beautiful thing.

13. If you wanted to have the glass sink in like those cars did, you'd need a taller glass; I wonder if a wagon windshield would do the job there?

14. deto

deto

man that is a cool 4 door

15. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

what color are you going to paint it? back to the factory mint green?

Great work

Godspeed
    MrC.

16. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

17. robleticia

robleticia

close....it will be this green color...

[​IMG]

and thanks for the comments guys, got alot of kid stuff going on right now, but I'm determined to start back on it in a couple of weeks!

18. robleticia

robleticia

I cant wait for the kids sports to be over so I can get back to work! I was able to squeeze in a little time Fri. night. One thing that I see alot on these cars is the rear axle is not centered in the wheel well, it's too far forward. So I decided to address this. Here is the rear end before, it's an inch too far forward

[​IMG]

So I pulled the rear end and the blocks out. I redrilled the pin locater hole in the block 1" back

[​IMG]

While I was in there I figured it was a perfect opportunity to pull the overloads out to try and get it just a hair lower in the rear to make the car sit level (it worked!)

[​IMG]

Put it all back together and it looks much better!

[​IMG]

19. chaddilac

chaddilac

Lookin good! I gotta check mine now to see if it's offset to the front like that!! :D

20. daddio211

daddio211

Those "little things" do so much to improve the final product! Glad to see you're making progress again brother!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

21. farmer12

farmer12

The wheel looks a lot better now. It's the small things like that, that are the finishing touches. Good work Rob.

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, great pains to take for a rather small detail. If I'm not mistaken, that's one of the things that seperates the men from the boys! Well done.

23. bartezz

bartezz

Rob, thanx for posting so many pics on your chop. Bought Tex Smith's book but this is so much better, more detailed. Very inspiring, 4 doors can look good chopped. Maybe some day I have the balls to chop my Volvo 122s.

It's easy with photoshop... :)
    [​IMG]

24. robleticia

robleticia

Do it bart!!! I bet it would look killer!

25. robleticia

robleticia

Finally all this holiday stuff is over with and I was able to squeeze in a little time on the car Mon night. Next step is to fully strip all the old paint off the car and get it in epoxy primer. I got some 7" stripping disk from Eastwood and decided to get after it. Started on the roof first careful to not get into the "C" pillar area that has already been stripped and has some bodywork done to it from the chop.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That took 2 1/2 disks to complete and I had one more so I figured I might be able to get the trunk done with the remaining disk and a half

[​IMG]

Well that was all the disk I had. At $7 a pop I only ordered a few until I knew if they worked good or not and that would help me determine exactly how many I would need for the whole car. So I ordered enough to finish the job, they should be her in a week or so.
    So the only thing left to do was to shoot on some epoxy primer and call it a night.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. daddio211

daddio211

Good to see progress brother!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What he said ^^^

28. bartezz

bartezz

:) Thanx for the motivation! If I start this project I'll post the progress on the forum!

29. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Looks great tell us more about those disc you used.

Godspeed
    MrC.

30. belairfiftyfour

belairfiftyfour

Rob, Damn good work. It really has my attention. I have a 51 sedan and I just finished it after 7 years.