Register now to get rid of these ads!

460 swap into my 58 fairlane.. need help fellas!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by luvzccr, Mar 15, 2011.

1. lukey

lukey

Any updates???

-LUKEY-

2. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

I think he has the car for sale now.....

3. greg

greg

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=684863

Yep, I saw his post! A project like that is overwelming for someone old like me. Just getting completed what he did was a HUGE accomplishment. I wish him all the luck.
    I'm sure when the time is right there will be another car project.

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sorry to hear that this project is for sale after all the work Jay put into it, but I'm sure many of us can relate for one reason or another. Wish I could snag it, it has some real possibilities.

5. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Sorry to hear you're giving up on it. a lot of work and money waisted it looks like.
    Good Luck selling. Hope your Dad is OK.

6. luvzccr

luvzccr

i dont think my heart can allow me to sell this. i had it up for a while now, but no luck selling it. its off the market for now, but i have no time, or money to still work on it.

i hate, HATE, that i dont have the knowledge to finish up what i started back in january. i still cant get those coil springs in their. i think that really dampened my mood when i couldnt get it.
    i need help. and none of my friends are old car experts. its no longer for sale.. but i wont be working on this for a while probably :/ lack of funding. (a girl i dated for the last 3 months sucked my wallet dry and left me)

7. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I am so surprised that no one out your way would not come over and help you knock this out. That's the Spirit of the HAMB.

8. Ouch, been there lost a lot of money. Cars don't seem that expensive now do they?

If I lived closer I would give you a hand to get it back on the road, but I don't. Someone on here must be able to throw down and give you a hand?!

9. luvzccr

luvzccr

my motivation level went down the hill back in january. I could not for the life of me get those springs in. spent so much money on a few coil compressors because i couldn't get it. felt discouraged, and then i met that girl. we went a lot of places like disneyland, universal studios, a few beaches, magic mountain, dinners, gifts, etc. but bam, in the end she 'friend-zoned' me and broke my heart.

i need to get back into the jist of things again, i need to forget about that heartache and get back into my original hobby of working on this. but its so difficult to get motivated again. i feel lethargic and just.... drained. as if i dont know what im doing..

maybe a bakersfield hamber can help me out sometime when i am free. i would love that. i still dream of the day of visiting my grandpas grave in this car and showing him i did it.

10. Don't beat yourself. Just stick with it and keep moving forward, one foot in front of the other. Pick 'em up and put 'em down. Then repeat.

That heartache you're feeling will fade as you get your project back on track and figure it out. Its a shitty feeling pain, but it will go away. And at the end of it you'll have a bitchin' big block powered ride to take the next chick out in.

11. luvzccr

luvzccr

absolutley love what you just said right here. love love love it.
    me, a girl, cruising around on a friday night. aw, love that image.

honestly, if ANY patient, i mean PATIENT, bakersfield Hamber's read this, and have a free day, and want to help me out one afternoon, i would gladly appreciate it, and i'll buy you lunch.

i'll need a coil spring compressor if you had one, because the ones i bought are no longer good lol. its been so long since i worked on it, i wouldnt know where to begin.
    hell, im 22, screw lunch, i'll buy you a beer if you want one. lol i dont drink but at this moment, i just need a distraction and a friend to keep my mind off everything.

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Jay, hang in there buddy. Women come and women go (man do I know that!), but your car is something solid. You've come so far and beat so many problems. I wish like hell I could come by and help you out and I really hope a fellow HAMBer will come through for you. Stick with it man, I'm pulling for you.

13. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Sorry if this is lazy but its 4am and I'm tired... As far as the coil springs go have you tried putting a jack under the lower a-arm, put the coil spring in the pocket and wrap a chain under the jack and over the frame.. then as you jack up the lower a-arm the chain will keep the frame from lifting away from the jack and it will compress the a arm and frame together with the coil locked inside.. then just bolt up the spindle and your done.. Also put a strap or a chain around the coil spring and the A-arm in case the spring pops out of the pocket it will have no place to go...
    Again, sorry if you already tried that, I just don't have time to go back and read.

Keep the car, The money you spent on it is gone.. so obviously you can live without the green.. but replacing a car you have so much love for will become a big regret late on IMO.

Good Luck.

14. greg

greg

I worked on my 39 ford 6 years before i got to drive it. at times i would leave it set for months without touching it. Sometimes waiting on money, sometimes waiting on time.
    I would look at it one day and think, there is no way in hell i will finish this, then the next day I would look at it and think, This wont be too bad.

what you have accomplished so far is amazing!!!!!!!

from what I have saw so far I have no doubt you can finish it. As long as you have somewhere it can set while you wait on the spare money to come.
    Good luck!!

15. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I know I don't know you, but just read the first page and remembered vaguely back when you were struggling getting the 292 running if my memory serves. What you have accomplished here is badass. You shouldn't feel discouraged in the least. I do a lot of "cool shit" says my 18 year old neighbor now, but when I was younger I didn't have the courage to rip into a project like stuffing this 460 in there. I hope you can stick with it, best of luck man.

16. luvzccr

luvzccr

let me first say thanks everyone so far for all the support. i have not been on this website for about 4 months up until yesterday. when i told everyone i was selling it they were devistated and thought i was crazy, and rightfully so. i cant sell this thing now that i think of it.

last night i just kept thinking about me driving around in it, on a nice summer night... ah man, just that image. that will gladly take away the pain of any heartache a girl has ever caused me haha.

but yeah i appreciate everyone on the HAMB for their support and helping me out. ive come this far and im more than halfway done, its just the small things now i gotta take care of.

i know i sound like a broken record player, but again, this is a calling for any bakersfield hambers out there, young or old. please, if your free on a monday, tuesday, or even wednesday afternoon after 12:00pm then those are NORMALLY my days off from work.
    we can do a walk around my car, get a plan going and start making some progress. i'm a generous guy... lunch will be on me ;) haha

17. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Jay: Sorry to hear about the girl issues. Took me 53 years to find the RIGHT girl after a bad marriage and several relationships. But my 2nd wife has been really cool about all the cars and the rest of my hobbies. So you will find Miss Right.

Like I said, if I was still in SoCal I would help you out, but being here in Kansas doesn't help you out. I would take the advice of the others that have encouraged you to complete the project. Take your time and analyze the spring issues and then come up with a good plan to compress the springs. I offered you a sketch of what I use to compress the springs and perhaps you can re-examine the drawing and make one up.

The jack idea is also a good idea too, the only issue is that the compressed spring might start lifting the whole car before you can get the spindle back on. I used that idea several times in the past, with only once needing my 240lb dad to sit on the fender to allow me to get the ball joint connected.

Good luck in your project and keep on putting status up on the HAMB.

18. 54Mercruiser

54Mercruiser

Hey man, hang in there, it'll all come together! The jack method should work, just make sure that NO MATTER WHAT, SAFETY is FOREMOST!! You don't want to see how fast that spring can come back out!

My Dad and I got his 57 Ford, with a 460 and a Toploader no less.., about a month ago thinking it needed the stinking double-pumper Holley rebuilt, turned out a bad connection at the battery solved the idle and charging problems in one fell swoop!

Remember, be SAFE, keep it simple and women come and go, the car is the one that will stay until you say otherwise!

19. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

I have never had issues with the jack method but I ALWAYS ratchet strap or chain the coil spring in place.

20. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

[​IMG]

Found this online.. kinda gives you an idea.

21. luvzccr

luvzccr

today i was going to head over to my grandmas for the first time since january. i felt an urge to work on it. i was going to take a 2 hour trip to the beach by myself to clear my mind of things.. but my friend wanted to hang out tonight so i decided not to go afterall...

so that made me think about heading over there and working on the '58 finally... but to be honest. i just dont have that motivation again. i really feel like i need a new friend, a mechanic buddy, someone who shares the same passion for older hot rods like me. just get together and come up with a plan on how to tackle this.

i dont understand why im so... hesitant to work on it again. it sucks. i want that thrill back. even when i think of me driving it finally... it doesnt excite me. something just isnt right anymore. send me an email local bakersfield guys if your interested in helping me out. i may end up posting a seperate thread later on so maybe it'll get more attention.

22. lukey

lukey

Any updates? Hope it's coming along

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

Hey any updates??? if i live closer I would come over but its a 2hr drive :(

24. BBFordsRule

BBFordsRule

Im damn near ready to go to cali just to help him finish this thing, im doin the same thing to mine. getting married next week so money is tight, GIVE US AN UPDATE PLEEEEASE!!!

25. I believe he had to sell. Hope not though.

26. BBFordsRule

BBFordsRule

That would totally suck!!!

27. luvzccr

luvzccr

guys sorry i hadnt been on here so long. i decided NOT to sell it. ill never get rid of this car. my late grandpa got it for me and no matter what kind of money troubles i come across in life, i will not let this go. too sentimental for me..

as for an update.. nothing new :( i really need local help with this project. im really short on money, and im doing a 2-3 person job on my own. i know.. i know.. coil springs arent that hard for some of you, but that was the straw that broke my back back in january. just couldnt get them in there. and i gave up :(

i had a dream though the other night about me crusing in this. the looks i got, the sound of an open header 460 cruising around town... ah, that feeling. i want it.

i hope some bakersfield guys read this and can help out a fellow 22 year old hamber.

28. BBFordsRule

BBFordsRule

Rock on brother, keep your dreams alive, like i said before, im very tempted to make a trip to help you myself, ive got family to visit in cali anyway, but im getting married thursday, so until i recover finacially from that, ill have to wait on any extra activities, and i know how you feel about your car. My stepfathers mother bought the one i have for him right before she died of cancer, and due to strange circumstances he had to sell it. Then one day i was walking on a friend of mines uncles collection yard and thru some bushes saw a familiar fender, it was my stepdads car, i bought it on the spot. and ill never let it leave our family again. Just keep at it and you will get her done sooner or later. Hope all else is well with you and your family.

29. luvzccr

luvzccr

you guys, sorry to bump an old post of mine, but man... i need some motivation again.

i'm now 23, college 4 days a week, part time job, and you can say i'm a part time gym rat now too. (i'm really into body building). but let's set that aside.

every single day, i drive my '95 silverado, and imagine that it's my '58 fairlane. i imagine the looks i used to get, the loud exhaust i had, the slammed to ground look it had..

i MISS my '58 so much.

i don't know why i can't find myself working on it again. it's about 8 miles away from my house right now (sitting at my grandmas still). i've lost my fuel for the motivation to work on it, but i find myself thinking of it every day.

i was thinking of making a new thread about this, but i'll keep bumping this one.
    it saddens me that 2 years ago my grandpa passed and for 1 year straight i was just hauling ass doing an overhaul on this. new motor, disc brakes, wiring, EVERYTHING.

then BAM, january 2012, got hit with a hurdle, couldn't get past it, dated a girl, broke my heart, lost money, and i just haven't worked on it since.

has anyone lost motivation on a project but somehow refound it, if so, HOW. i look at this site all the time but i can't find myself back over there working on it.

30. exterminator

exterminator

If you don't have the means to work on it right now,just put it on hold.Be patient.Some day you will be able to finish it otherwise you will regret it if you get rid of it.I know been there-done that.