Register now to get rid of these ads!

Von Dutch pinstripe job signature verification

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roadkillontheweb, May 30, 2012.

1. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

I had someone send me pictures of their 1950s Jaguar XK120 electric powered kids car and on the trunk it is signed Von Dutch 58

Can anyone verify that this is indeed the way he signed at the time. If it is a Von Dutch job it would be a shame to restore it. I am now trying to find out more about who made it as most of my information is about American production mini powered promotional cars.

Attached Files:

• jag3.jpg
      jag3.jpg
      File size:
      169.6 KB
      Views:
    • jag2.jpg
      jag2.jpg
      File size:
      96.9 KB
      Views:
    • jag1.jpg
      jag1.jpg
      File size:
      93.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Attached Files:

3. IF its genuine....LEAVE IT ALONE!

Jerry A Smith likes this.
  4. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

Wow, that is really cool. I'd like to see more photos to be sure, but from what I see that definitely looks real. Other info on the history of the little car would help as well.
    It's interesting to note that Dutch's personal car in the late 50s was his customized Jaguar which he totaled around mid 1958. I can't tell from the b&w photos, but if the main paint is not original he might have painted the car as well. I would definitely recommend the car being left untouched.

The way he signed it off center and then added a dash to the right to balance his signature was a common thing he did. Not always a dash, but he would add to areas that accidentally came out a bit "off".
    -Aaron

5. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

Looks good enough to leave alone!

6. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Just got another picture in.
    Looks like he laid down the paint for the local Jaguar dealership Frank Millard sports cars in Encino CA

NO real history available on the car.

Attached Files:

• jag4.jpg
      jag4.jpg
      File size:
      68.5 KB
      Views:
  7. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Isn't that one of the places he was known to be working out of around that time???
    It sure looks real to me! If so, it's probably worth 2-3x more as is than if it was restored.

8. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

Too cool. I hope you/they leave it as is. Real or not, it's a tribute. Sig looks right, but I'm no expert on Von Dutch sigs.

Post a trunk photo if you can.

9. I wouldn't touch it.
    Looks like the real deal to me.

10. Frank Millard's dealership sold cars to many celebrities, not only Jaguar's but also Aston Martin's as I recall. Roy Rogers reportedly bought a Jag there, and it was not uncommon for the cars to have personalized customizing, so I would not doubt that this is a real deal. If someone were to be faking the Von Dutch sig, it would be highly unlikely that they would know about Franks Millard and add that.

11. Karl stark

Karl stark

Assbackward, but I would assume that is an original Von Dutch signature until some one can prove that it isn't.

12. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

restore it?? whats wrong with it? Looks like a good cleaning is all it needs. Then build a glass case or shelf and put it away!

13. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

Hotroddon is right on the money with the above statement! Seeing he lettered Frank Millard on there I would say that is without a doubt the work of Von Dutch. What a cool piece that has survived. Please tell the owner to leave as is. Maybe the paint could be cleaned up a bit, but I would advise to be very careful as the striping and signature could very easily be rubbed off ... and then you've lost the most important part.

-Aaron

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Did/do pinstripers date thier work? I've never seen it or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

15. Blackie

Blackie

I would be careful of even the suggestion of cleaning. Some people wouldn't understand and take that too far. "I couldn't get it to shine up so I took some borax and steel wool to it, whoops!"

Sent from a pay phone

16. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^This. Why on earth would anyone think that that car needs a restoration? Clean it, preserve it, and enjoy it.

17. Do on every one of mine, great way to watch the progress of quality over the years...

18. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Definitely leave as is. Looks real.

19. I worked as the GM of a Harley Shop. We took in an Indian on consignment that had been a charity auction bike. It was signed by Peter Fonda, Branscombe Richards, Dennis Hopper and a half dozen other biker movie stars. The detail guys were really proud when they came up and told me that they had cleaned all that scribbling off the tank. I about killed them! luckily I still was able to sell it for what the guy wanted, but it could have brought a LOT more!

20. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Looks cool, wouldnt "restore" it at all!

21. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That old pointy nose lakes 27-27 roadster in the Ferguson collection, can't recall the name, was striped by Jeffries in its drag configuration and was dated 57 or 58. Since then the striping has been attributed to Von Dutch(of course) but when it was in our shop for a decade or so it wore Jeffries name and date on the back panel.
    So yes, stripers often dated their work but sometimes didn't.

Treasure that wonderful piece and someday you might buy a matching purse or sunglasses.

22. On topic, there is no way I would doubt that as a Von Dutch signature.

Dating pinstriping was the way it was done. Good way to tell if a striper is an old timer, new guys don't know that was the way it was done. I dated my first job in 1957. My last job was yesterday morning.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dutch and Jeffries always did, prior to 1959. I had a 'T' that Jeffries did in '58, (it was dated: "Jeffries 1958")

Any Von Dutch prior to then was dated, all of which I've seen anyway...

24. Torchie

Torchie

Seems to me that it's just different enough to be something that Von Dutch would do.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A few years back, I ran into a gal wearing a Von Dutch t-shirt. For fun I asked her who he was. Her reply, "A guy in California who builds choppers on TV." I laughed and walked away.

26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've asked the same question of a number of young girls in the DC area wearing the shirts. None of them had any idea.

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I was told he was a "really cool" Swedish purse and clothing designer.

28. art.flame

art.flame

i got smacked in the face, but i asked if she would show her tits instead her vonDutch T

29. Kenny did not always date everything he did
    This was done by him in 1956, the picture came from the owner of the car who was there while he did it, and neither piece is dated. But the cowl piece does say Dutch, even though it's hard to make out in the 56 year old picture.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And he hated the cowl side piece so much, he took it off with lacquer thinner after a very short period of time!

Jim Bouchard and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. Model T1

Model T1

Were they all blondes with big hooters? :)