Register now to get rid of these ads!

Veitnam Memorial Wall facts by my Dad nam vet retired U.S.M.C.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scott 351 wins, May 27, 2012.

1. Orlando1701

Orlando1701

I can understand that feeling, my brother tried to join the corps after he graduated from college but was medically rejected. He had a real hard time with that, our grandfather and father were both career military and I spent 8 years in the Army before I got hurt myself. You shouldn't be ashamed it wasn't your fault just like it wasn't for my brother.

2. havi

havi

I went to the Wall with 3 fellow "Dawgs" while we were in West Point training. It was an eery feeling how the wind around us disappeared when we stepped down to be in front of the Wall. It was a very solemn moment as I thought about all that was sacrificed, and how my family was affected. Two months later I stepped off a plane on a foreign desert. And I felt I had more purpose after walking the Wall.

3. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

First and foremost, a thank you, to all that have lost their lives serving

our country.

Secondly, thank you "scott 351 wins" for your post.

And lastly,

Well, the spelling "Vietnam" is the American version.

Technically, it's Cong Hoa Xa Hoi Chu Nghia Viet Nam.

So, STFU

Just like we call Germany, Germany. When in reality, it's

Bundesrepublik Deutschland.

4. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Thank you for posting that tribute to our fallen heroes. A good friend and college classmate of mine from Sullivan County, PA sacrificed his life in that shithole, at the age of 22. I found his name on the wall during a visit to D.C. It was an emotional moment for me that I'll not forget. I doubt that my good friend would have been insulted by the misspelling of Viet Nam in your tribute.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  5. mkrog1

mkrog1
    from Austin Mn

Tell your dad "WELCOME HOME"

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I am a Viet Nam era vet, didn't go there for some reason. I was drafted in 1969, trained in Infantry, and the whole trauning company went to Alaska. I sometimes regret not going over there, but it is what is. That was an excellent post. I msalute all of our fallen heros

7. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Thank you for your service!!!

8. 48ford

48ford

We must never forget

9. Gabby

Gabby

I carry some guilt that I didn't serve in Nam. I had orders for Nam out of bootcamp but was released from the USMC after 16 mouth and 17 days with a Honorable discharge under medical conditions.
    In the first post Dan Bullock was mentioned as the younger Marine killed in Nam. I met Dan when he came to 2nd Recon on Onslow Beach N.C in late 69.
    Sometime in late jan he was sent to Nam and several months later I see his picture in News Week as KIA. Many times since 1969 I have wondered what made him want to fight in a war as unpoplar as Viet Nam was. At any time he could told his true age and been sent home asap.
    As i have aged I have made it a point to tell fellow Marine about Dan and now I have been tell young blacks about some Black History they would probably never read in a history booki

10. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Dear Lord, walk with this Marine of mine -
    each and every day
    Never let him lose his faith -
    Or yearn to go astray.
    Keep him, Lord and give him strength -
    Whenever the need maybe,
    For it's quite a task these men have-

To keep our country free.

Grant them, Lord the best in life-

Keep them always fair;
    'Tis the best of them that they will give-

On land, on sea and air.
    And so, dear,Lord when duty calls-

And the future can't be seen,
    Walk with and protect -
    Lord, My husband the Marine.

-Anonymous wife,April 1965, after 1st Marine Brigade's deployment to Vietnam

11. Goodlife

Goodlife

Six of us went down to enlist through the buddy plan in the fall of 1965 as we thouight we would go through it together. We immediatley went in different directions and didn't see each other until we got home four years later. But we did get home.

I went to the wall a couple years ago and saw some names I knew. One of them had a child he never got to see. I felt great sorrow for them and very greatful for the life I have had. It seems everyone who grew up in that era was affected in some way by that war, some more than others.

Thank you for posting the data, the posts have been interesting to read.